Desk Chair on a Boat

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

portager

Vessel Name
Osprey
Vessel Make
Nimble Wanderer
Since I can now work from home part-time, I'm installing a desk and a 32" 4K monitor so that I can work on board. I also need a desk chair. To keep the chair from rolling, I upgraded the wheels to 3" Polyurethane Chair Casters with Dual Brakes for $24. The brakes lock the wheels from rolling and prevent the swivels from turning. When I expect mild rocking I lock one wheel on each side. In rougher conditions, I'll lock all five wheels. Underway, the chair will be secured to the desk. I've worked on board for two days so far and I'm quite happy with the results so far.

I work from home full time and plan to be able to work either on the hook or while underway using Starlink.

Currently, I use the settee table, but I have big plans for a workstation using the area you see in the photo below as a "desk".

Given the height of that bar, using my old desk chair was not an option - it wouldn't adjust nearly high enough and there's not enough room there anyway. Plus, using rollers wouldn't work underway - clearly.

My tentative plan is to use a gas-loaded adjustable deck chair riser, bolted to the salon deck, probably on the far-left side of the forward starboard engine room hatch - depending on stability . If I have to move it to the left of the hatch into the actual deck, I will likely have to shorten the settee on that end to accommodate it. The one I plan to use is three pieces, the deck mount, the riser, and the seat mount. That way, I can take it apart if necessary and stow it in the space between the settee and the bulkhead under the "desktop." The chair itself will be my current desk chair - just removed from the wheeled mount and bolted to the deck chair mount either directly or using a home-built adapter.

Note that we already planned to replace the settee table with a smaller version so there's no worry about it interfering with the desk chair.

I will junk the television you see in the pic and add a teak box with vents and a fan in its place to house the power strip, laptop dock, and boat computer with a spot on the top to lock in my Surface Studio Pro (used for work) and attach it to the dock. I am also mounting a heavy-duty monitor arm and a 46" monitor capable of taking dual inputs for a "twin screen" setup for work. It will likely also double as our movie screen for movie nights.

The keyboard and mouse will be stowed in a foldaway shelf that folds under the desktop when not in use.

Thanks to the ability to use wireless for the keyboard and mouse, the only wires I will have to worry about are the two USB-C/HDMI cables that run from the monitor to the dock, and the monitor power cable.

And I don't use pens, paper, paper clips, or anything of that sort so I don't need to worry about storage or areas to use any of that.

Attachments

• DSC_0053 (1).jpg
    DSC_0053 (1).jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 35
When I'm working from the boat, I typically use the bar in the salon as my desk. We have a pair of bar stools, so I just sit on one of those (they're comfy, just have to remember to sit upright).

When I'm working from the boat, I typically use the bar in the salon as my desk. We have a pair of bar stools, so I just sit on one of those (they're comfy, just have to remember to sit upright).

UGH - Sitting upright is not my strong suit.

Working from the settee - first on the sailboat and now on this trawler - gets miserable when I am not paying attention and realize I have been sitting hunched over for hours.

I'd never make it on a barstool, LOL

UGH - Sitting upright is not my strong suit.

Working from the settee - first on the sailboat and now on this trawler - gets miserable when I am not paying attention and realize I have been sitting hunched over for hours.

I'd never make it on a barstool, LOL

For some reason I find it easier to stay upright on the stool than I do on a couch or anything like that. It's not as good as a good desk chair, but good enough that I haven't gone looking for alternatives.

For some reason I find it easier to stay upright on the stool than I do on a couch or anything like that. It's not as good as a good desk chair, but good enough that I haven't gone looking for alternatives.

Might be a good idea to try it while I'm working now before building out the workstation.

Honestly, it can't be any worse than the settee...

Prectice on a lot of bar stools whenever you get the chance..... :D

I wish you guys would quit using those 4 letter words, like work???

Work
I saw someone do it once
Wasn't for me.

With my back issues, I need a comfortable desk chair. I found a really good one and with locking wheels, I can use it in the slip and in most anchorages. If I were working while underway, there would be nobody to drive the boat. I have the Starlink HP flat transceiver, but it is only mounted temporarily. I'm designing a new mast and when it is done I install Starlink permanently. My monitor is a 32" 4K UHD smart TV, so it connects to the Starlink WiFi and I can stream TV directly or I can stream through my PC. The problem with high desk chairs is your feet don't reach the floor. Might need to add a footrest.

I'll post photos after the desk is installed.

Last edited:
With my back issues, I need a comfortable desk chair. I found a really good one and with locking wheels, I can use it in the slip and in most anchorages. If I were working while underway, there would be nobody to drive the boat. I have the Starlink HP flat transceiver, but it is only mounted temporarily. I'm designing a new mast and when it is done I install Starlink permanently. My monitor is a 32" 4K UHD smart TV, so it connects to the Starlink WiFi and I can stream TV directly or I can stream through my PC. The problem with high desk chairs is your feet don't reach the floor. Might need to add a footrest.

I'll post photos after the desk is installed.

Same. I'm old(er) and my previous life was hard on the back and knees.

And the Admiral is learning to helm so that she can man the conn when I'm on shift. The good news is that the company I work for not only knows we live on a boat, they're very supportive and I can drop everything on a moment's notice to assist with anything - and have done so many times in the past.

And yes, the mount is for a flybridge helm seat and comes with a footrest.

As for work being a four-letter word, I agree that it is. However, I thanks to spending too many of my younger years in the School of Hard Knocks getting my education, I got started on my career late. Thanks to some poor decisions, and my first ex-wife - but I repeat myself - the financial side of my life was effectively ruined even before the divorce. The reality is that I will never be able to "retire," so I chose instead to find a way to live my life in a way that allows me to continue working, but that makes it seem like I'm retired :lol::lol:

And I've been doing this work at a very high level for 25+ years so the job isn't difficult. It pays more than enough to allow me to live this life and I will continue to do it until I simply can't type anymore - or lose the ability to think.

Ergonomics is everything. No wonder automakers spend millions on research.
I thought this desk station was a big plus when looking at the boat. 5 years later still cant find a height that doesn't immediately put my legs to sleep. Contemplating cutting it apart completely to reconfigure.
Maybe just use bracket to hold a good desk chair.

Attachments

• 20230910_092205.jpg
    20230910_092205.jpg
    155.8 KB · Views: 17
I've been working from the boat full time (6months per year) for 4 years.

I've been working on the couch using a hi-lo coffee table. It sucks. We just bought a condo and now we're back to being weekend boaters.

Working from the boat sounds magical. But it takes paradise and turns it into "just another Tuesday". By the time you logoff, then cook, eat and clean up after dinner, there is either chill out with a book or a TV show, or do chores around the boat.

You're not going out and treating every night like you're on vacation.

I thought this desk station was a big plus when looking at the boat. 5 years later still cant find a height that doesn't immediately put my legs to sleep. Contemplating cutting it apart completely to reconfigure.

My boat originally came with one of those. Some PO removed it. I've been looking for one. If you decide to rip it out, let me know!

I don't think it's intended to be a desk chair. I think it was supposed to be a make-up stool. On my boat the countertop hinged up to reveal a shallow storage compartment, and originally had a mirror on the underside of the countertop. I assume makup went in the compartment and the mirror was for putting on one's face. We don't need that functionality, but the stool would still come in handy occasionally.

You're not going out and treating every night like you're on vacation.

Not at all.

But that's what everyone thinks is the case. My own mom said I was "on permanent vacation." I even have other boat people believe I'm retired and "living the dream."

Regardless, I'd rather do all that on my boat than own another house.

I think that is a vanity stool. You might be able to attach a desk chair to that arm or make a new arm, but I'd try the double-locking wheel and see if that is good enough. You're at risk cost would only be $24. If you do need the arm to secure the chair, it would be an easier design if it didn't need to support the weight of you and the chair.

In my case, I could retire today, but I'd probably have to sell the boat. By working another 3.5 years, I'll be able to keep her as long as I like.

I get 5 weeks of vacation a year and I really want to cruise the PNW. Using a year's worth of vacation on one trip would allow 4 weeks of cruising with 3 days on either end for trailering the boat. If I can work onboard a few days in a nice anchorage and extend my trip a week, I'd call that a win! Also, my work would appreciate it if I could get online for urgent Teams or Zoom meetings.

For the first few years I would sit and work in our office on the boat. Then I got one of those adjustable stand up desks (fit right on the counter). Made a huge difference in how my back would feel after a few hours of video editing.

I could also lower the desk down and sit if I got tired of standing. It's great to have the option.

When I replaced the helm seat on Fintry, I used a Herman Miller Aeron desk chair, which has a reputation as the best of desk chairs. Bought it used like new for $300. It's at least as comfortable as a $3,000 Stidd.

Mounted it on a piece of 3" aluminum pipe. Fintry's wheelhouse deck is a foot above the actual steel deck to give a chase for wiring and plumbing, so it's supported at the wood deck level and at the steel deck level. Highly recommended.

Jim

When I replaced the helm seat on Fintry, I used a Herman Miller Aeron desk chair, which has a reputation as the best of desk chairs.

Jim

A well deserved rep for sure.

When I first started working at the last company I worked for, they bought those for all employees. That lasted right up until the day they were bought out by another company.

From that point forward, only the executives got the Millers.

Back
Top Bottom