Old 09-10-2015, 06:10 PM   #1
Veteran Member

City: Fl
Arrow Design characteristics/traits in 36'-40' or seaworthiness

Been doing my research before I actually look at any boats - this forum has been a great help.

With a budget hopefully of around 75K most of what I see will be in the 80's.

For example from what I read the GB are very wet boats, and on a beam they have jerk to their roll.

So which makes are known for example to handle a following sea good/bad

or which handle waves well head on I guess the flair of the bow or angle of the stem.

Are certain designs really bad in a beam sea.

So from your experience or in talking to others can anyone shed some lite.

tks

Jimbo2015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 06:20 PM   #2
Guru

City: East Greenwich, RI
Vessel Name: Bella
Vessel Model: Mainship Pilot 34
I don't believe that you will find any meaningful difference is sea keeping ability in any 36-40' flybridge trawler with a semi displacement hull and a flat transom. Everything that you will hear is just dock talk.

Canoe stern, full displacement, ballasted, yes. Otherwise no difference.

David

djmarchand is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 06:33 PM   #3
Guru

City: Cape May, NJ and Englewood, FL
Vessel Name: Irish Lady
An older Monk 36 will fit in your price range. Similar in most specs, there are some differences between a GB 36. Here are a few that influenced our choice:
Single bed on centerline in the aft cabin.
In a year and a half, I have yet to take any significant spray on board. Just lucky? Maybe.
Most Monks do not have teak decks. Most GBs do.
Early Monks came with Perkins engines, later ones, Cummins B 4 & 6 cylinders. GBs mostly used Lehmans or a few Cat 3208's.
GB has a europa model, Monk does not.
The Monk has a 3/4 size refer, the GB is half size.

Good luck in your search.
1984 Monk 36 Hull #46
Englewood, FL and Cape May, NJ
High Wire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 06:38 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I like the layout on the Monk.
Old 09-11-2015, 04:05 PM   #5
Veteran Member

City: Anacortes
Vessel Name: "Mollie"
Vessel Model: 1977 Davis Defever 42
Don't count out a Defever. Arthur Defever designed realllllly beautiful, sea worthy boats and we absolutely love ours. My wife is prone to sea sickness but has never once felt queezy on Mollie. She is a Davis Defever 42 and rides very smooth even when we get hit by the big freighter wakes. We picked her up this June in that same price range.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Arrival 2.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	127.5 KB
ID:	44405  
Soulshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 04:16 PM   #6
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
Vessel Name: Small Incentive
Vessel Model: Boston Whaler 130 Sport
I strongly suggest not relying on reading and get out on the water in various hull designs and/or observing other boats. Most importantly, different people have different reactions to different motions and navigate in different sea conditions (or not). And, as noted above, love to pass along hearsay and dockside legends rather than relate direct experience.

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 05:36 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Thanks George,

I understand what you mean, but I don't mind listening to opinions first hand or not.
Old 09-11-2015, 05:38 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulshine View Post
Don't count out a Defever. Arthur Defever designed realllllly beautiful, sea worthy boats and we absolutely love ours. My wife is prone to sea sickness but has never once felt queezy on Mollie. She is a Davis Defever 42 and rides very smooth even when we get hit by the big freighter wakes. We picked her up this June in that same price range.
I assumed they were higher $$$, just took a look at YW they are in my range.

what years are wood and which are FG

What engine(s) do you have?
Old 09-11-2015, 06:40 PM   #9
TF Site Team

City: California Delta and SF Bay
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by caltexflanc View Post
I strongly suggest not relying on reading and get out on the water in various hull designs and/or observing other boats. Most importantly, different people have different reactions to different motions and navigate in different sea conditions (or not). And, as noted above, love to pass along hearsay and dockside legends rather than relate direct experience.
Some folks come here to start the learning process. Not everyone has access to a fleet of various boats to test out at their convenience. It's a lot easier to say "get out on the water in various hull designs" than for many of us to actually do it.

This forum exists for folks to share their knowledge and experiences. It's a source for people to gather information upon which to build. One man's hearsay and dockside legends is another man's first chance to hear this perspective.

Jimbo, I hope the contributions to this thread help you as you wade through a sea of opinions and facts.

Custom Google Trawler Forum Search
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 06:47 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Mollie is a 1977 with factory fiberglass decks (huge plus). Single Ford Lehman 120 (bullet proof when taken care of IMHO). Tons of room in the ER to move around and perform maint. Burns about 2gph and hold around 450g fuel, 200g water. She is built to go places. Don't let the single screw hang you up. (Defevers come both ways) Crawl around on boats with twins though and get a feel for what you are up against when it comes to working/servicing your engines. Originally thought we had to have two screws but now, I wouldn't trade my single. A lot of builders copied Arthur's designs and you will notice that as you walk the docks. Beware and do your home work on build quality! Nothing beats looking at boats. Cruise the docks, check out owners forums for info and try and crawl around as many as you can. It took us about 18mos. before Mollie found us and we knew it instantly when we boarded her. Looked at more boats than I can count prior to that fateful day in June. Happy hunting.....enjoy the process.
Old 09-11-2015, 06:50 PM   #11
Veteran Member

As for the cut off from wood to fiberglass hulls....not exactly sure but think you are probably around 1970-1972 ish..... Just FYI...You probably won't be able to find financing for a woody which is too bad because we found some really nice old woodies that were super cool.
Old 09-11-2015, 07:07 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Single screw is not an issue, too many single engine aircraft to consider.

I love wood I work with it all time as a hobby, but not for the hull.

Had 4 new sailboats since '72, one was 27 years old when I sold it, the buyers surveyor couldn't believe how great the condition was. So I can fix an maintain easily, never paid a boat yard.

buying a used trawler is another issue.

I can do a pretty good pre survey before I make an offer and thereafter get a pro to survey it.

No sense paying a surveyor to find an obvious deal breaker.
Old 09-11-2015, 07:10 PM   #13
Guru

City: Sidney
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyWright View Post
Some folks come here to start the learning process...This forum exists for folks to share their knowledge and experiences. It's a source for people to gather information upon which to build. One man's hearsay and dockside legends is another man's first chance to hear this perspective.
Absolutely, there isn't a big enough to convey my acknowledgement of those words. Been on or near the water most of my life and have learned a ton right here. Chatter on here, whatever hand, chases me to other sources, google, other forums and the local yards and docks.

Jimbo...walk the docks. People are so willing to talk about their boats if approached. I've spent hours with some of them.
Hawgwash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 09:31 PM   #14
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
The Coot's blunt bow makes a wet boat powering into waves and wind. So what's the problem?

No issue if exposed on the bow when conditions are calm or proceeding down wind.

Old 09-11-2015, 10:00 PM   #15
TF Site Team

City: California Delta and SF Bay
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Mark, Are those photos Before:

and After?

(Great pic of Perla, btw.)

Custom Google Trawler Forum Search
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 10:17 PM   #16
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Surely those photos were taken on different days, as were these:

Old 09-12-2015, 12:56 AM   #17
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
Vessel Name: Small Incentive
Vessel Model: Boston Whaler 130 Sport
The thing is, how is a newby able to discern what is good or bad information or "opinions" from a few anonymous strangers with unknown real world credentials? At the very best all you get are some clues, not answers; some clues are good leads, many not… and have to be validated in the real world unless you are a complete gambler.

We have met so many people who bought boats almost blind, based on hearsay, dockside legends (TF specialties), peer pressure and first impressions at the dock, that were much less happy (or in many cases fed up) with their choice of boats. "If we had only known… "

Or witness "serial boat buyers" playing Goldilocks in search of the "just right" boat. Of course buying a boat if you are going to be a weekend warrior or vacation boater is a little less critical decision than one you will live and cruise on full time.

There are a vast number of boats accessible to anyone; it only takes a few charters to figure out pretty well what's right for you, including the (power)boating life itself.

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 03:22 AM   #18
Dauntless Award

City: New York, NY
Vessel Name: Dauntless
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 42 - 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyWright View Post

Some folks come here to start the learning process. Not everyone has access to a fleet of various boats to test out at their convenience. It's a lot easier to say "get out on the water in various hull designs" than for many of us to actually do it.

This forum exists for folks to share their knowledge and experiences. It's a source for people to gather information upon which to build. One man's hearsay and dockside legends is another man's first chance to hear this perspective.

Jimbo, I hope the contributions to this thread help you as you wade through a sea of opinions and facts.
And this us exactly what we did.
Read for 5 years, and the boat we bought is perfect for what WE wanted and needed.

And it was the only the second boat we went out on.
Find us: https://share.delorme.com/dauntless
Wxx3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 06:54 AM   #19
FF
Guru

I think the concept of Seaworthy and Seakindly are being mixed in this thread.

Seaworthy is the vessels ability to survive intact what ever conditions encountered..

Seakindly is how well YOU enjoy the encounter.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 07:53 AM   #20
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
The Coot's blunt bow makes a wet boat powering into waves and wind. So what's the problem?
Well, I guess there could be at least one problem. This revealing photo sent to me by FlyWright.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Coot bow wave.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	182.2 KB
ID:	44419  

"I'd rather be happy than dignified".
healhustler is offline   Reply With Quote