Try a lift bra...

RT Firefly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 06:58 PM   #22
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
RE: Design

I suppose we should have female underwear for a boat. Good I like that. Somebody mentioned an article in PMM about hull form and I looked for the message but couldn't find. I went through my magazines and found the article. I have a catagorized list of about 75% of PM magazines as to what articles are in what issue....as to subject matter. Ask me and I'll do a spot of research for you.
The article about hull form is in the winter 97 issue. It is written by Charles Nevile who is a Naval architect who designs mostly heavy steel trawlers. I like his boats and I like what he says. I may need to apologise to the group. I think I may have made things a bit more complicated than nessesary. Mr Neville lumped all hulls not FP or FD into the semi displacement category. No mention was made of the expression semi planing. I wrote my introduction to this thread off the top of my head and perhaps I should have put a bit more time into it. Does anybody know if there is more than one official classification for this middle ground? I think that I assumed, some time ago, that the two expressions stood for one end of the range. Could be, over time, I was just making things up. Mr Neville puts the upper end of FD at SLR of 1.42 and the beginning of FP at SLR of 2.5. That would about 17 knts for a 30' boat and 19 or 20 knts for a 35'. He stresses the value of ratios and numerical comparative data. The alaska state ferry Malispina has disp 3600 tons 8000 hp 18 knt cruise 352' WLLand 2.2 hp per ton. The Nordhavn 46 has 4 hp per ton and my willard has 5. The Nordhavn is my favorite boat and it gives me pleasure to see that it is very much like my Willard, only much larger.

Eric Henning
30'Willard
Thorne Bay AK

Nomad Willy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 07:57 PM   #23
TF Site Team

City: League City, Tx
Vessel Model: Carver 356
Design

Willy, no need for an apology. We're just shootin the breeze here. The article I was referring to happened in the last coupla years. It was a good one. The thing to take from all of this is there is a lot of grey area.
Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 12:57 AM   #24
Scraping Paint

City: -
Design

Hey, it could be way worse. This could be an aviation site and we could be having a "discussion" about what creates aerodynamic lift. Been there, done that, and it ain't pretty. (It's got nothing to do with Bernoulli by the way). Boating--- at least with the trawler folks--- is a way friendlier deal.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 08:47 AM   #25
TF Site Team

Design

Uhhh, it does have something to do with bernoulli....
Old 12-08-2007, 09:57 AM   #26
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: "Sandpiper"
Vessel Model: 2006 42' Ocean Alexander Sedan

John and a myriad of others.....Marin is exactly right! it doesn't have anything to do with Bernoulli's principal. When in your car......stick your hand out the window with closed fingers and "fly" it up and down, like when we were kids. I'll stop right here as the explanation takes too long to present in a believable fashon.
Codger2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 10:27 AM   #27
TF Site Team

Design

I am sure it does. But I will leave it at that. I know what y'all are getting at ad we have had this discussion before. But the Bernoulli principle is not completely and totally irrelevant as y'all make it sound. It is very relevant. It is extremely relevant.
Old 12-08-2007, 11:21 AM   #28
TF Site Team

Design

Nahhhh. But if ya really wanna hash it out, prolly the off topic area would be the best place to do it.....doesn't really relate to the original intent of this thread.
Old 12-08-2007, 12:01 PM   #29
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'

Mr Baker,

So it was you. Please tell me the year and month of the article. I would be grateful.
As to the Bernoulli stuff I don't want no hash out. My opnion is not contemporary but if such a thread were to come to pass I would make a statement ... nothing more...One statement. You've heard the " old pilots and bold pilots " .... Well the reason there are no old pilots is that they all become boaters....like us.

Eric Henning
30'Willard
Thorne Bay AK
Nomad Willy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 01:00 PM   #30
TF Site Team

Design

Willy, I honestly don't know and I do not kep back issues(I'm not that organized and I used to live on my boat so we never had the space). Maybe the PM site has a search function?