Old 01-19-2016, 07:30 PM   #1

City: Avalon
Deploying paravanes on KK42

About to do a 400nm trip on a Krogen 42 - first trip on this boat. It has paravanes, which I have not used before. Is there a general rule as to the depth that the fish, or birds, should be below water surface? Wanting to be careful as no prior experience using paravanes... Been spoils with hydraulic stabilisers in the past!

Many thanks in advance for your good advice...

Yogi
quaysman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 08:53 PM   #2
Guru

City: Mooloolaba
Vessel Name: Flora
Vessel Model: Timber southern cray boat
Yogi,I run mine at about 17 ft below the surface and have them adjustable so that they can be raised for shallow water. Once the water is below about 15 feet they are out all together.
This also depends on the length of your arms as you don't want the fish being able to fly out and hit your hull or super structure.
I have recently been talking to Hidi and Wolfgang on their Nordy 46 (3 circumnavigations) and he runs his about the same depth but in really deep water likes to drop them deeper so there is very little chance of the fish flying out.
Where is your trip, north or south of Avalon.
Cheers
Benn
Tidahapah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 11:47 PM   #3
Guru

City: Pender Harbour, BC
Vessel Name: Gwaii Haanas
Vessel Model: Custom Aluminum 52
Mine, on Old Shiny, are at least 15' under.
Old 01-20-2016, 12:00 AM   #4
Guru

City: Sydney
Quote:
Originally Posted by quaysman View Post
About to do a 400nm trip on a Krogen 42 - first trip on this boat. It has paravanes, which I have not used before. Is there a general rule as to the depth that the fish, or birds, should be below water surface? Wanting to be careful as no prior experience using paravanes... Been spoils with hydraulic stabilisers in the past!

Many thanks in advance for your good advice...

Yogi

ARRR!!!!!!! so your the one that purchased the Krogen and "Im" the one that missed out LOL

Lovely boat where are you heading ? can I come with you LOL
gaston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 12:03 AM   #5
Guru

City: Kitimat, North Coast BC
Vessel Name: Badger
Vessel Model: 30' Sundowner Tug
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xsbank View Post
Mine, on Old Shiny, are at least 15' under.
Old Shiny?

Did you take a sander/grinder to your boat!??!
Old 01-20-2016, 04:53 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaston View Post
ARRR!!!!!!! so your the one that purchased the Krogen and "Im" the one that missed out LOL

Lovely boat where are you heading ? can I come with you LOL
No sadly, Gaston, I'm not the new owner - wish I was! Yogi is my nickname, Andrew is the real name and I was the broker. I just did not want to miss out on any trip and the owner is new to this size and style of boat. As such, I feel some sort of responsibility to the gentleman, to spend a few days with him (plus a third - I like 2 on watch in the night - the third can always stand in for anyone who falls ill as well), going through various functions and equipment and teaching rudimentary paper charts, log books, radio logging and other things like pre departure safety checks and engine checks underway. Plus, I'm the one with the tools...

One good thing out of helping him with prepping the boat has been the marina yard manager has fallen in love with the Krogen 42 and has asked me to find him a 'good one' - how long is a piece of string? - when I'm over in the US in a couple of weeks! We will see what happens; as they say, "Many a slip between the cup and the lip"...

In a perfect world, I'd have a Krogen 48 (53' LOA), but the world is not perfect, so I'll settle for my LAVERDA motor cycles and my Hartley TS18, and doing deliveries for owners here and there.

Yogi
Old 01-20-2016, 06:56 AM   #7
TF Site Team

City: Jacksonville
Ours are 15' deep at rest. Underway less, as the fish travel further back.
Larry M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 07:09 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry M View Post
Ours are 15' deep at rest. Underway less, as the fish travel further back.
Thanks Larry.

When you say less underway, how much less and are there any factors such as sea state that you would be taking into consideration? I have heard others say that 6-7' is enough, but I guess the further the poles are apart the more depth that might be required to keep them from flying around out of the water..?

Yogi
Old 01-20-2016, 07:32 AM   #9
TF Site Team

City: Jacksonville
Six or 7' is not deep enough. At 15' we've had them come out of the under some conditions, not very often, but enough to not want to shorten up the lines. At 15', ours are designed so that they can not get tangled up in the running which they potentially could at 17'. We've never had the fish come close but I guess it could happen.
Larry M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 08:48 AM   #10
Guru

City: Melbourne, FL
Has anyone used rod rigging for the fish? It should be smaller diameter with less drag and not react / fly if it came out of the water, or at least that's my theory....
stubones99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 09:40 AM   #11
Guru

City: Birch bay wa
Vessel Name: Rogue
Vessel Model: North Pacific 42
In earlier years, I crewed on a SE Alaska troller. The fish or stabi's as we called them were out 90% of the time. They were down 16 ft. We also used one of the pulleys on the trolling gurdies on each side, to run a trip line to pull the fish. The line from the gurdie was slack when underway, and attached to vertical fin on fish. Kick it in gear and the fish was brought to side of boat about ten ft ahead of stern, where there was a socket for stowing. Then it was a simple matter to stow the pole. Never seemed like a big chore, either deploying or stowing. They certainly work well.
Rebel112r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 01:57 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebel112r View Post
In earlier years, I crewed on a SE Alaska troller. The fish or stabi's as we called them were out 90% of the time. They were down 16 ft. We also used one of the pulleys on the trolling gurdies on each side, to run a trip line to pull the fish. The line from the gurdie was slack when underway, and attached to vertical fin on fish. Kick it in gear and the fish was brought to side of boat about ten ft ahead of stern, where there was a socket for stowing. Then it was a simple matter to stow the pole. Never seemed like a big chore, either deploying or stowing. They certainly work well.
Thanks Rebel - I like the idea and appreciate your input.

Yogi
Old 01-20-2016, 06:47 PM   #13
Guru

City: Mooloolaba
Vessel Name: Flora
Vessel Model: Timber southern cray boat
One problem with trip lines (unless you can work them above water level when under way) is that they are chance to catch flotsam when underway.
Solid poles for the fish are used fairly frequently on our prawn trawlers and one cruiser I know of.
Tidahapah is offline   Reply With Quote