Old 02-27-2011, 01:15 PM   #21
Guru

City: Juneau Alaska
Vessel Name: Arctic Traveller
Vessel Model: Defever 49 RPH
RE: Delivery to Tahiti

Quote:
Per wrote:

this is what you do for work i am guessing..
delivery for a charter or change of owners?
how big of a crew do you take along (understand you are not in position to hire staff i am just curious).

Your correct, we do deliverys when we can get them, but mostly we do trawler training charters on our own boat.* Currently, I'm in the middle of a delivery of a Defever purchaced by a guy in Australia who had to fly home.* Unfortunatley, were only taking it to Vancouver B.C. to be loaded on a cargo ship.* I'd rather take it the whole way, but a Defever is clearly not the boat for a trip like that.* As for crew size, it totally depends on the boat and trip.* The bigger the boat and the further the trip, the larger the crew.* For the current delivery (Defever 44) two people is plenty as we stop at night.* Interestingly, we had a lot of freezing spray on Friday, and spent much of our time working on the heater.**

On deliverys between Alaska and Seattle, I like a crew of three, so we can have two people in the pilot house looking for logs at all times. That leaves one person to attend to the engine room, cooking or resting.* Still, I've done the trip with two people lots of times, it pretty well depends on the boat.*

On off shore, over night passages, I think a minimum of three is needed, and I usually set a four on, eight off watch schedule.* That gives you plenty of time to eat, sleep or just rest.* My favorite watch is four to eight, as I get to see the sunset, and the sunrise.* I'm at my worst on the twelve to four, as about two in the morning, I seem to be at a really low ebb and have trouble staying awake.*

If it was up to me, I'd always have a crew of three or four, but many owners don't want to pay for them, so we go with the minimum.................Arctic Traveller* *

Arctic Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 05:27 PM   #22
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48

Jeff

I noted freezing spray was forecast yesterday and Friday*for QC Sound area. Is that where you currently are passing through?*

With insurance deck bladder tanks and slow RPM, many DeFevers have crossed the Atlantic and done the South Seas. Our range at 6.0 knots is about 1800 nm with 10% spare. The longest passage is generally west coast of NA to Hawaii.

Brian Calvert is keeping a good blog of his Selene 48 trip to South Seas and NZ. He used bladder tanks but was pretty conservative* on RPM so made the trip quite handily.*

Get some good pics of the Tahiti voyage. Maybe we can hook in Juneau this summer and look over your shoulder at what you did.

I may have missed it, what Nordhavn model are you skippering? Will* you use a weather router? Are you departing from Honolulu?

sunchaser is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 08:40 PM   #23
Guru

Quote:
sunchaser wrote:

Get some good pics of the Tahiti voyage. Maybe we can hook in Juneau this summer and look over your shoulder at what you did.

I may have missed it, what Nordhavn model are you skippering? Will* you use a weather router? Are you departing from Honolulu?
I'm actually hoping I don't spend too much time in Juneau this summer, as I may have a job with Inner Sea Discovery on their first season with two new cruise boats doing the inside passage. Still, send us a note when you get there.*

As for the Nordhavn 57, we will be leaving from Honolulu, but since the owner is aboard, I'm not the Captain.* The boat has the latest electronics, but I'm unsure about the router at the moment............Arctic Traveller

Old 03-01-2011, 07:55 PM   #24
Per
Guru

Quote:
Arctic Traveller wrote:

sunchaser wrote:

I'm actually hoping I don't spend too much time in Juneau this summer, as I may have a job with Inner Sea Discovery on their first season with two new cruise boats doing the inside passage. Still, send us a note when you get there.*

As for the Nordhavn 57, we will be leaving from Honolulu, but since the owner is aboard, I'm not the Captain.* The boat has the latest electronics, but I'm unsure about the router at the moment............Arctic Traveller

interesting, i would have thought that whoever is responsible for the voyage is the Captain similar to flying, one person is ALWAYS designated PIC.
Per is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 06:23 PM   #25
Guru

Quote:

interesting, i would have thought that whoever is responsible for the voyage is the Captain similar to flying, one person is ALWAYS designated PIC.
Yup, always a good idea, and in this case it would be the owner who's incharge.............Arctic Traveller