Delivery Captain costs?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mike_nickens1

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Godspeed
Vessel Make
36" Marine Trader Sundeck
I'm looking for the rough costs to hire a delivery captain to deliver a 36' to 38' trawler from northern Florida to the northern Chesapeake Bay. I need to factor in a rough number into my budget. Also interested in possibly having it shipped. I have no idea of these costs. Any comments would be appreciated!

I'm exploring the exact same trip. Can I tie my boat to your stern and split expenses? :D

Seriously, I've been quoted $400 per day, plus provisions and $500 per day without. That includes a captain and mate. A captain alone, if they'll do it alone, is $250 - $350 per day. Add to that travel to and from the boat and docking costs and it gets pricey quickly. Where will you keep her on the Chesapeake?

I'm still weighing whether I can find the time to do all or some of this trip myself.

I'm sure others who have actually done this will weigh in with more specifics. Looking forward to what you find out. :popcorn:

When in Florida this winter I ran across the salesman we bought our boat through and he also is a busy delivery captain. He was just about to take a boat from the West Coast to the Chesapeake and it was $600/day for him and two crew but it was organized through a third party, less if he did it directly. I asked for a ballpark for our boat from Stuart FL to Barnegat Light, NJ and he said to figure $6K plus fuel as a "safe" number. I would say the northern Chesapeake would be $1K less. These are of course ballpark, depending on weather, and our boat likes to putter along at 7-7.5 knots.

Dave

Last edited:
Several years ago we paid $300/day plus provided "crew", meals and 2 -way transportation. Our 7 days offshore delivery non-stop run from Florida to Rhode Island was a great learning experience and worth every penny. Of course, depending on your "captain" your experience could be different!!!

As in all professions, capability and experience factor into the OPs question. Find two or three right guys and costs then can be negotiated.

The right guys are not cheap, the wrong guys are. What kind of contract and insurance will you enter into?

Another consideration is how long the trip will take. A mid 30 ft trawler will need to complete most/all of the trip in the ICW, not an offshore rhumb line track, at about 10 hours and 60 miles a day. I am guessing that your trip from Florida's West coast to the Chesapeake is probably good for about 15 days. Multiply the daily rate accordingly. Might be less costly to ship if it fits the trailer and roadways.

For a boat that size I would charge $250 a day including any travel days to and from the job plus expenses like airfare, rental car, dockage (I try to anchor out as often as possible), food, etc. Sometimes I can get a qualified friend to go along for just expenses and other times I have to hire a mate at $100 - $150 a day.

I can send you my resume if your interested.

I'm looking for the rough costs to hire a delivery captain to deliver a 36' to 38' trawler from northern Florida to the northern Chesapeake Bay. I need to factor in a rough number into my budget. Also interested in possibly having it shipped. I have no idea of these costs. Any comments would be appreciated!

We're all speculating without knowledge of the boat, it's sea worthiness and most importantly it's speed. A lot of difference between a 6 knot trawler and a 12 knot one or even a faster one.

Prices will be all over the map...but there's still a bottom line and what can be negotiated.

Great captains can be had for less than "ego" captains ...I have friends that use their wife as crew much of the time and are retired USCG commanding officers with plenty of delivery experience too...I work for way less than some of the kids that are trying to make a "good" living at it...I wouldn't let them row my dingy...

So all in all...you have to get a couple guys you talk to and have a good feeling about (unless you can get someone that's highly recommended by someone you trust)...and work through the details till you get to the bottom line.

I was quoted from $250-450 per day plus travel and provisions. That was with me being on board as the crew. Crew member would be extra. I found a very experienced guy at the marina that wanted to do the trip with me. He is not a licensed captain but just as good. The dockmaster at my new marina recommend this guy and if has been the best experience. I am not sure a licensed captain will be willing to get his hands dirty in the event of issues coming up on the boat. They may sit at a marina for days with the meter running waiting on repairs. As for distance, you can cover from 60-85 miles a day depending on weather. We just came through that storm on the east coast and got in 60 a day and the last two days we got 80 & 85. It will take us 7.5 days to get from Palm Coast FL to Little River SC a total of 454 miles.

For those who quote by the day, the current rates seem to average about $300 per day, some as low as $250 and some as high as $450. That's for Captain. Crew rates for delivery are averaging about $100 from those I see quoted. Assuming 750 nm approximately, if a normal day for your boat is 80 nm, then you're talking 10 days and with no crew that's $3000 +/- and a crew of one $4000 +/-. But weather can easily lengthen the time. Or if you have a faster boat it can lessen. Many, if not most captains, quote delivery by the job.

Add fuel, marinas (if used), travel, meals. Also, what is your urgency? I'd ballpark your total costs based on the information you've given so far between $5000 and $8000. I think you'll find prices all over the place but the key is finding someone with excellent references and reputation and someone you're comfortable with when interviewing them.

Also, you need to establish the agreement up front in terms of delay and costs. If the boat has to sit for three days along the way for maintenance, what is the compensation? Make sure your insurance includes the delivery. In the event of a grounding, who is responsible and how is that resolved? Don't wait until after the fact to try to figure these things out.

Why are you not taking it yourself-don't have time or experience? You could divide the delivery into several segments if necessary. Have you thought about accompanying captain to learn your boat? Some captains will deliver with owners, some won't.

I was quoted from $250-450 per day plus travel and provisions. That was with me being on board as the crew. Crew member would be extra. I found a very experienced guy at the marina that wanted to do the trip with me. He is not a licensed captain but just as good. The dockmaster at my new marina recommend this guy and if has been the best experience. I am not sure a licensed captain will be willing to get his hands dirty in the event of issues coming up on the boat. They may sit at a marina for days with the meter running waiting on repairs. As for distance, you can cover from 60-85 miles a day depending on weather. We just came through that storm on the east coast and got in 60 a day and the last two days we got 80 & 85. It will take us 7.5 days to get from Palm Coast FL to Little River SC a total of 454 miles.

Plenty of captains will do repairs and will spell out in the agreement what their time is worth.

Distance is a function of boat speed. When there is daylight..most captains will run a 12 hr day if they are worth their salt...plus fuel if necessary and hose down the boat if she took a beating from weather. If it's a 8knot boat (or if that's the speed you want it run at to get it someplace)...that's almost 100 mile days when it can be done...a six knot boat is gonna cost ya....

A captain will figure in a weather /maintenance day...but that's to be discussed....some may want to take their time and will adjust pricing so they DON"T have to kill themselves with 12hr days.

Why are you not taking it yourself-don't have time or experience? You could divide the delivery into several segments if necessary. Have you thought about accompanying captain to learn your boat? Some captains will deliver with owners, some won't.

I agree, especially breaking the trip into segments, and doing it yourself. That's a great way to do a trip. I have done that more than once. That way you get to slow down a little and enjoy the trip. A "delivery" trip is no fun.

Plenty of captains will do repairs and will spell out in the agreement what their time is worth.

Distance is a function of boat speed. When there is daylight..most captains will run a 12 hr day if they are worth their salt...plus fuel if necessary and hose down the boat if she took a beating from weather. If it's a 8knot boat (or if that's the speed you want it run at to get it someplace)...that's almost 100 mile days when it can be done...a six knot boat is gonna cost ya....

A captain will figure in a weather /maintenance day...but that's to be discussed....some may want to take their time and will adjust pricing so they DON"T have to kill themselves with 12hr days.

12 hours is a long day and you have to factor in is there a place to stop after 12 hours. Delivery captains don't anchor out, so if there is no marina access at 12 hours then the day may end at ten or less. That is the problem we have run into is the scheduling the days trip around where you have access to a marina. Sometimes the next marina falls out of the window and your day can get cut back to 8 hours. There are a lot of factors. I'm just glad I didn't have to hire one because of the unknown. We set our own pace and even moved in bad weather. We left the docks in St. Simons in the fog when all the other boats were waiting it out. The meter runs and no Captain I talked to quoted by the job, they were all per day.

12 hours is a long day and you have to factor in is there a place to stop after 12 hours. Delivery captains don't anchor out, so if there is no marina access at 12 hours then the day may end at ten or less.

12 hours is a pretty normal delivery day. On long offshore ones it's a 24 hour day. And delivery captains most assuredly anchor out all the time. Moving boats through the Bahamas, Caribbean, Mexico, Central America, heck even the US rivers there are not marinas conveniently spaced all along the way to allow you to pull in every night.

12 hours is a pretty normal delivery day. On long offshore ones it's a 24 hour day. And delivery captains most assuredly anchor out all the time. Moving boats through the Bahamas, Caribbean, Mexico, Central America, heck even the US rivers there are not marinas conveniently spaced all along the way to allow you to pull in every night.

I would say though that getting 12 hours of progress per day on average with a single delivery captain is doubtful as you will have to find an anchorage or marina and you will have to fuel along the way and depending on planning and provisions may need to find food. 12 hour work day, but if max speed is 8 knots you're not going to get 96 nm in that 12 hours.

When I bought my 32 ft trawler 2 years ago . I had it trucked from Merritt Island Fla to Paris Tn and then floated it off trailer at our marina
for $7200 . I think it was around 900 miles plus some . I had higher and lower quotes . I got the boat in 2 days .

Few if any boat drivers will NOT use a marina.

To be assured of space many will stop early , some very early.

DIY and leave the boat as required .

I would say though that getting 12 hours of progress per day on average with a single delivery captain is doubtful as you will have to find an anchorage or marina and you will have to fuel along the way and depending on planning and provisions may need to find food. 12 hour work day, but if max speed is 8 knots you're not going to get 96 nm in that 12 hours.

I didn't mean 12 hours of running, although I've gotten that from time to time. But 12 or more hours of work per day.

Unless a lot of you are delivery captains...not sure how you can say is possible and not possible....and 12 hr days aren't on a time card...of course there's a little slop on both sides...captains will leave or arrive n the dark to avoid lot's f issues that rec drivers won't....or at least they should be able to when necessary.

And yes...some captains will DRIVE for 12 hrs and still do the engine room chores , fuel and spraydown after.

Thus the issue with delivery captains that I pointed out first...no standard so there's a lot of ground to cover to think you got a good deal.

My motto was to move the boats as fast as possible between 2 points as safely as I could.

If you wait for consistent weather, as in summer, would would it be feasible/safe to run 24 hours a day on the outside?

I think, at least in Ian's case, that a stabilized 44 would have no trouble at all running up the Gulf stream.

would that be a 3 person job?

We did the 7x24 hour run on the outside and were fortunate to have good weather, not counting fog. Would expect it can be done with a seaworthy stabilized 44ft trawler with decent autopilot and nav. gear, but will require at least 4 crew and a lot of preparation, not least being pre-prepared food, plenty of fuel and spare parts.

When I bought my 32 ft trawler 2 years ago . I had it trucked from Merritt Island Fla to Paris Tn and then floated it off trailer at our marina
for $7200 . I think it was around 900 miles plus some . I had higher and lower quotes . I got the boat in 2 days .

Plus you had no fuel or crew travel expenses or wear/tear on the boat.

The OP was thinking a smaller boat...As far as running a boat 24x7...not unless it's a twin or the capt has several days to monitor fluids and possible losses.

Plus unless you get a couple of people working for next to nothing...and the Capt gets the lions share...not sure many capts will do it that way. Part of the business IS enjoying the lifestyle....the Navy beats underway 24x7, no land in sight out of you in no time....:D

Last edited:
A friend of mine trucked his boat last week from Stuart, FL to Annapolis. It's a 27' Nordic Tug. Price was $3,400.

If you wait for consistent weather, as in summer, would would it be feasible/safe to run 24 hours a day on the outside?

I think, at least in Ian's case, that a stabilized 44 would have no trouble at all running up the Gulf stream.

would that be a 3 person job?

Yes it's feasible. 3 would be the minimum. And the boat would not have to be stabilized. You just have to pick a good weather window.

Well, all our answers are somewhat shots in the dark unless the OP gives us more information on the boat.

Do delivery captains have restrictions like truckers or pilots on how many hours they can work in a row, or how much downtime is needed ?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom