Old 01-28-2013, 05:15 AM   #1
TF Site Team

City: Ex-Brisbane, (Australia), now Bribie Island, Qld
Vessel Name: Now boatless - sold 6/2018
Vessel Model: Had a Clipper (CHB) 34
Deja vu..again...

Folks, having not yet even fully recovered from the deluge and flooding of Jan 2011, not only Brisbane, but the whole eastern Queensland and a good part of New South Wales is being inundated, even as I type, thanks to a cat 1 cyclone (hurricane) which started in the Gulf of Carpentaria near Darwin, and then rolled down and through the eastern seaboard dropping huge amounts of rain, and this time made worse by 70-80 mph winds, and more. This on top of widespread and devastating bushfires of only a week or so ago. What a country of extremes.
Cookies must be enabled. | The Australian

Flood Disaster 2013 - Full Coverage - Yahoo!7 News

I went down to the marina today to check on Lotus. Fortunately our marina s well protected being on the west side of Moreton Bay with many islands between us and the open ocean, but even so the storm surge coupled with extra high tides made for an interesting situation. I feel very sorry for those who own less well-protected vessels. There has and will be, a lot of damage.
Below are some pics of the marina, the first being how it usually looks in terms of height to the bank at a normal high tide. The 2nd pic is what it was like just 30 minutes before the others, when we first arrived and before the surge came right up over the land arm between us and the adjoining part of the marina, which is under development. The others speak for themselves. In the 30 minutes we were there, from just being surface rain water in the car park, with a raised path edge still clearly visible, the sea surged right over. Compare pic 1 with 3. Note the finger ramp going upwards in 2, where normally there is always a downward incline to the finger. Yeah, sorry, that's me with the naked sensual caucasian knees. (with apologies to the Goons...RTF will get it anyway....)
Attached Thumbnails
Image120.jpg   IMG_1141.jpg  
Attached Images

Peter B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 06:49 AM   #2
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. Peter B. Stay safe my friend.
Old 01-28-2013, 07:50 PM   #3
Guru

City: Mooloolaba
Vessel Name: Flora
Vessel Model: Timber southern cray boat
Well it has all now passed and winds died down and seas are starting to abate.
Got 65 knots over the top of Tidahapah but all was secure in the marina.
Lots of blown out covers and sails that were not secured properly and where we (on the marina) couldn't get to them in time.
Lots of places suffering minor flooding and my prtners place in Bris was blacked out for 40 hrs.
Bundy up north really copped a hammering with river heights even higher than 2011, I think the marina was washed away again , 2 nd time in 2 years, may be hard for them to start again.
This tropical low stuck with us accross the Gulf of Carpentaria and down the coast for day after day after day now down south towards Sydney.
Then further south they are still having rageing bush fires, go figure.
A land of contrasts.
Benn
Tidahapah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 09:28 PM   #4
TF Site Team

Yes, Benn. We must have gone down during the 'eye', and I nearly didn't take the time to fold back and secure the bimini, but then while we were there the wind honked up nastily, and I thought, "oh damn, the bimini canvas is just new, and we took the time to secure it, (about which I am very glad), nearly getting marooned by the rising surge as you can see from the pic looking back at the car. That car park area was all clear of water there other than a bit of surface rain puddling when we arrived only 30 mins previously. I'm glad I had the Outback, and not my Celica, which although also 4WD, is rather low-slung.
Good to hear you suffered no damage.
Old 01-28-2013, 09:45 PM   #5
Guru

City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
Peter and Benn, Glad you and yours are ok. Lotus would have produced some amps!
Sydney was to get hammered last night, but it never really happened. The system is moving on, sun breaking through. Seas are impressive offshore, Manly ferry is still running, crammed with thrill seekers, plunging and rising to expose props, which it has both ends, crossing Sydney Heads.
Nice looking boat in the background of pic.3, Peter.
The plus side: my 5000L water tanks at home are overflowing.We do have reticulated water,tanks avoid water restrictions.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 04:46 AM   #6
TF Site Team

Ha Ha, I wondered if you'd recognise the Masters 35 in there Bruce. You had one of those I seem to remember..?
Old 01-29-2013, 09:11 PM   #7
Guru

City: Thibodaux, Louisiana
Vessel Name: Gumbo
Vessel Model: 2003 Monk 36
When I was working, flogging sugar cane harvesting equipment, I spent a good bit of time in Bubdaberg, I heard they are pretty much in the center of the flooding. I hope they are not too badly damaged.
Steve W
Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 09:46 PM   #8
TF Site Team

Sadly, Bundy is being affected worse than anywhere else Steve. Flood levels never reached before since records began.
Google Bundaberg floods and you'll see what I mean.
Old 01-29-2013, 11:25 PM   #9
Guru

City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
Steve, Peter has it in a nutshell. Australia is traditionally a land "of drought and flooding rains".
Unless the harvesters were moved to dry ground, there could be a market for new ones.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote