Old 09-30-2014, 04:18 PM   #41

City: Jupiter, FL
Vessel Name: JOHN D. MACDONALD
Vessel Model: FAIRCHILD SCOUT 30
I spoke with a broker that I have dealt with in the Puget Sound area in the past. He called on this one for me. This boat was owned by a wealthy guy who just bought a newer, bigger boat to make his newer, younger wife happy. Wanted his old boat gone, probably old wife too. Now the broker that sold him the newer, bigger boat has bought this little jewel for his own.

Billyfeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 04:32 PM   #42
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billyfeet View Post
I spoke with a broker that I have dealt with in the Puget Sound area in the past. He called on this one for me. This boat was owned by a wealthy guy who just bought a newer, bigger boat to make his newer, younger wife happy. Wanted his old boat gone, probably old wife too. Now the broker that sold him the newer, bigger boat has bought this little jewel for his own.
Thanks for reporting the facts to the mystery. Even wonder if perhaps the ex wife was getting half the proceeds. That does happen sometimes, you see a boat really reduced because proceeds are being split.

BandB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 04:58 PM   #43
Guru

City: PNW
Vessel Model: 1976 Californian Tricabin LRC
Dang!! If it surveys as good as it looks. . . That's a heck of a buy!!
Old 09-30-2014, 05:33 PM   #44

City: Monterey, CA
Vessel Name: Mahalo
Vessel Model: Defever 44
Does the awlgrip paint job mean that the house was painted or is it a bottom paint? Sure looks like someone loved that boat!
Baggiolini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 06:03 PM   #45
Guru

City: Juno Beach, FL
Vessel Name: Takes Two
Vessel Model: Defever 49 RPH
Don't read anymore into it than is listed, if this boat was on the east Coast it would already be under contract.

The seller is obviously motivated and this one seems like a great buy, I think he is too motivated and priced this boat way too low hence all the skepticism on unknown facts. It is dated but the upgrades would not cost you too much.

This boat may or may not be stabilized so instead of speculating to why it's so low look at it as if it is an opportunity until it's proven different.

My 49 Defever although ten years newer has just completed the loop and over 6000 miles apart from regular scheduled maintenance costs our only unexpected mechanical after we departed was a $120 damper valve on an injection pump.

As a previous poster said don't read too much into it, my thought someone is going to get a good buy.
gwkiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 06:17 PM   #46
Guru

City: St. Lucie VILLAGE -NOT- Port St. Lucie!!!!!
Vessel Model: 15' Hobie Power Skiff w/90hp Yamaha-owned 28 years. Also a 2001 Bayliner 3788 that I took in trade
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donsan View Post
Or perhaps Time by the Alan Parsons Project.

Time, flowing like a river....
I just listened to them, as had never heard them before. I'll give them credit for having the ability for stopping time, as in "sheesh will this song end before I can reach over to my gun, and shoot myself? Lol" I'll take the Chambers Brothers version of reality any day, as it made me transition over to Miles Davis My Favorite Things afterwards.
Guy above me; I haven't seen any sale in years that wasn't a good buy- at the time.
pilothouse king is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 06:25 PM   #47

Love the Chambers Brothers. Thanks for the memories.

Dave
Old 09-30-2014, 06:35 PM   #48

City: Pittsburg, CA
Vessel Name: NoMoBoat
Vessel Model: Trawlers
I'll try not to read (or write) too much into this but, if it is true that a broker picked it up, that is a good sign.

We picked up a few rental houses as the real estate market (supposedly) was in recovery in 2010. After the mortgage bust a Lot of property came on the market. Of course, some of the best deals were sucked up by the real estate brokers and sales folks, but at some point (before the Chinese arrived in charter buses) they had their fill and what was left, normal folks had a chance to pick up.

No doubt the boat (and RV) market is somewhat delayed, but the first wave of baby-boomers are now shedding their boats like they did their big homes for health reasons, so a lot more boats will be coming on the market. Unfortunately, I fear most of them will have been neglected for a number of years. I see many more of these kinds of deals coming in the next 5 years.

As mentioned above, if one is seriously interested in these kind of deals, keep your powder dry and ready to fire when the Brokers get their fill of the best deals - I think many more will be coming.
Old 09-30-2014, 06:47 PM   #49
Guru

City: Powell River, BC
Vessel Name: Northern Spy
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by magicbus View Post
Love the Chambers Brothers. Thanks for the memories.

Dave
Hence the forum name perhaps?

Because of Pilothouse King I now have one of the Chambers yelling "Time!" in full reverb periodically in my head. Doesn't make for great plane napping.
Northern Spy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 06:59 PM   #50
Guru

City: Long Beach, CA
Vessel Name: Heads Up
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 42 Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyDawg86 View Post
Man, I wish that boat was on the East Coast! The pictures look really nice and my guess is it's for sale at that price because he doesn't want 2 boats.
That's my take too. A lot of boat for the money!!
Capthead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 07:46 PM   #51
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Time waits for no-one...
Old 09-30-2014, 07:48 PM   #52
Guru

No interest/offers = $ too high
Interest/no offers = still too high
Interest + offers = in the $ range.
A repaint like that would be well north of 60K here imo, depending whether initial or repaint.
I`d check what is under the fresh paint, but all over it looked a very nice older boat. Good luck to the buyer.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 08:26 PM   #53
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceK View Post
No interest/offers = $ too high
Interest/no offers = still too high
Interest + offers = in the $ range.
A repaint like that would be well north of 60K here imo, depending whether initial or repaint.
I`d check what is under the fresh paint, but all over it looked a very nice older boat. Good luck to the buyer.
It's hard to know exactly what has been done to it recently but looking at all they talk about having done it would seem they spent more on the refit than they're selling it for. Now perhaps not, but that does sometimes happen.
BandB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 10:36 PM   #54
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
My previous owner got 20 cents on the dollar for his refit efforts(with receipts to prove it). If you think refitting a boat is profitable you're either a fool, genius or a yard owner IMO.

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 09:50 PM   #55

City: Vancouver Rowing Club, Coal Harbour, Vancouver, B.C.
Vessel Name: Summer Wind 1
Vessel Model: Marine Trader 41
The boat that was asking $95K in 2014

The boat that was asking $95K in 2014, has been relisted for $185,000 in 2016. It still has the original name "Pelican V" home port Edmonton Alberta. The Canadian vessel was deregistered in October of 2014.

grahamdouglass is offline   Reply With Quote