Old 03-27-2016, 07:37 AM   #21
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
Our DF has all the bilges and under drawer spaces gel coated. This permits voluminous space to become quite usable for all sorts of canned goods, drinks, boxed goods and other supplies for live aboards and long distance cruisers.

DFs are intentionally designed for offshore work and heavy weather. Window thickness, water shedding, full keels, high bows and large rudders aid in this regard. Assuming you keep a weather eye, doubtful you'd be in harms way with a DF. Read a great log some years ago about an English couple who bought a DF (44 as I recall) on the US west coast and took it to England via Panama Canal. Or the oft traveled Egret who encountered a DF from NA happily cruising off the Southern tip of Chile.

But chest thumping and personal prejudices aside, current condition, logged prior maintenance and upgrades will tell the story. Just met with a TF member who has a KK 58. That vessel trumps those are under discussion on this thread. But budget enters into it as well I guess, darn it.

sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 07:58 AM   #22
Veteran Member

City: Boca Raton
Vessel Name: Kokomo
Vessel Model: Hatteras LRC 48
Thanks to all who chimed in. I saw IntervaleII online when it was for sale - looked like a gem, really - but I wasn't ready to pull the trigger. I also agree with Bay Pellican about the natural ventilation while sleeping, but I have to say even my wife is leaning towards the Hatt. I'll update after we see the Defever and Hatt tomorrow.

jfelds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 09:03 PM   #23
Veteran Member

City: Henderson
Vessel Name: Charismatic
Vessel Model: Hatteras LRC
LOVE my 48' LRC. Really well built and solid. Lots of room and very comfortable. I heard and was concerned about those loud, "singing" Detroits mentioned below but turned out to be way quieter than I expected and very happy with noise level. A lot quieter than either of my Grand Banks. It might make a big difference that I have carpet but the ER seems really well insulated to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by healhustler View Post
I would concur with the suggestion of Hatt LRC's. The 42 is also roomy and a good value but the 48 is more of the same good, that is if you don't mind a couple of singing Detroits. Great cruising vessels that have rightly earned a lot of respect, and nice looking too.
Captain Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 09:07 PM   #24
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Paul View Post
LOVE my 48' LRC. Really well built and solid. Lots of room and very comfortable. I heard and was concerned about those loud, "singing" Detroits mentioned below but turned out to be way quieter than I expected and very happy with noise level. A lot quieter than either of my Grand Banks. It might make a big difference that I have carpet but the ER seems really well insulated to me.
It's the current Hatteras MY's with the CATS that are loud.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 09:14 PM   #25
Veteran Member

City: Henderson
Vessel Name: Charismatic
Vessel Model: Hatteras LRC
Gotcha. Seems I read a lot that my little 453's were loud and leaky too but mine most certainly are not.

Captain Paul is offline   Reply With Quote