Old 07-22-2014, 02:02 PM   #21

City: Alaska
Vessel Name: Nimbus
Vessel Model: Californian
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyWright View Post
Stupid question, but....did you check the strainer? I had mine hooked up to a mister bar to cool me last summer in the 100+ degree heat. It intermittently failed, then finally failed and stayed dead. Eventually, I found debris in the inline strainer at the pump. Problem solved.
I have NOT checked the inline strainer on the pump.... I did not realize they have one,, BUT now I will! that would make to much sense!

If I am not out on the boa this weekend I will pull it apart again and check it... thanks for the good simple idea to try first!

It may or may not solve the problem, but its an easy check...

superdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 02:22 PM   #22

I checked the in line strainer. No issue there, cuz there isnt one....LOL

i took the rest of the housing apart and all looks good. The switch clicks when you push it in, not that that means anything other then that it isnt stuck i guess.

I ran it at different elevation in relation to the thru hull and that doesnt seem to make a difference. It runs for about a minute (with good normal pressure), then shuts off (pump engine shuts off) for about the same. I let it do that for like 30 minutes and felt the pump. The sensor end of the pump wasnt hardly warm, and the engine end was VERY hot. didnt burn my skin or leave a mark, but I didnt want to touch it a second time...LOL

I am leaning towards getting a new switch asymbly (found a place online for $34 plus shipping), and for sure going to get larger wire. The charts I look at seem to say it needs a size 10 or 11.. Ill probably go with 8 or 10 just to be sure...

Not sure how to calculate the wire tho... the chart seems weird. the pump draws 10 amps, is 12v and is about 3-4 feet form the electrical panel...

Old 07-24-2014, 02:53 PM   #23
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
[QUOTE=superdiver;252269]I checked the in line strainer. No issue there, cuz there isnt one....LOL

i took the rest of the housing apart and all looks good. The switch clicks when you push it in, not that that means anything other then that it isnt stuck i guess.

I ran it at different elevation in relation to the thru hull and that doesnt seem to make a difference. It runs for about a minute (with good normal pressure), then shuts off (pump engine shuts off) for about the same. I let it do that for like 30 minutes and felt the pump. The sensor end of the pump wasnt hardly warm, and the engine end was VERY hot. didnt burn my skin or leave a mark, but I didnt want to touch it a second time...LOL

I am leaning towards getting a new switch asymbly (found a place online for $34 plus shipping), and for sure going to get larger wire. The charts I look at seem to say it needs a size 10 or 11.. Ill probably go with 8 or 10 just to be sure...

Not sure how to calculate the wire tho... the chart seems weird. the pump draws 10 amps, is 12v and is about 3-4 feet form the electrical panel...[/QUOTE]

14 gauge should be OK...12 would be super but overkill (which on a boat never seems to be).

Of course that's assuming the source from the panel is 12V or better even under all loads.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 04:54 PM   #24

City: Bayfield, WI
Vessel Name: All Night Long
Vessel Model: Regal 2765
Johnson pumps?

I was thinking about adding this one but I haven't heard much discussion of Johnson pumps in this thread. Anyone have experience with them?

Thanks,
BD

Amazon.com: Johnson Pumps Of America 64534 Marine Aqua Jet Wash Down Pump Kit: Automotive
BDofMSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 05:37 PM   #25
Guru

Johnson macerator pumps seem to be fine...no reason why other models would be an issue.
Old 07-24-2014, 06:38 PM   #26
TF Site Team

City: California Delta and SF Bay
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by superdiver View Post
Not sure how to calculate the wire tho... the chart seems weird. the pump draws 10 amps, is 12v and is about 3-4 feet form the electrical panel...
SD,

Here's a DC wire size calculator.

Input your numbers and get your sizing. My understanding is that the run length is supposed to be the round-trip length. Note the entry is in meters.

If price is not an issue, it never hurts to upsize it one size for good measure.

Custom Google Trawler Forum Search
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 06:58 PM   #27
Guru

City: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale
Quote:
SD,

Input your numbers and get your sizing. My understanding is that the run length is supposed to be the round-trip length. Note the entry is in meters.

If price is not an issue, it never hurts to upsize it one size for good measure.
Yes, DC runs are calculated round trip. And it's best if they are calculated for 3% or less voltage drop. AC runs, one way.
Capt.Bill11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 07:06 PM   #28
Guru

I tend to use this one that I have checked against others and it seems fine...

It comes from West Marine Advisor or even their wire page in their catalog
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Wire sizing.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	102.0 KB
ID:	31590  
Old 07-24-2014, 07:57 PM   #29

Quote:
SD,

I put in 3% drop. Over estimated the length. And used 10 amps (that's what the motor says it is on the label)

It told me 10 gauge. So that's what I'll do. But I still think the pressure switch is fried.
Old 07-24-2014, 09:01 PM   #30
TF Site Team

City: California Delta and SF Bay
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by superdiver View Post
But I still think the pressure switch is fried.
I bet you're right!

I bought one that only lasted a few hours in operation before the switch went bad. West Marine was great in replacing it without a hassle.

Custom Google Trawler Forum Search
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 09:04 PM   #31

At least I find I can just replace the switch and not the whole pump!
Old 07-25-2014, 06:15 AM   #32
FF
Guru

For folks that may go cruising and want to be rid of the hassles of cheap OR expensive electric pumps, contemplate a genuine upgrade.

A Jabsco 2 inch clutched pump on the main engine or noisemaker will push over 100GPM .

100GPM does a great job of even cleaning chain so it can be stowed below with no stench.

The ability to use it as a bilge pump, or fire hose should pay for the install expenses.

Just think of it as your insurance policy.

As a bilge pump or fire hose supply a large strainer that is easy to inspect, clean is a good addition.

Electric goodies work, for a while , good if you like boat chores ,
a belted real pump is a whole different style of boating.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 04:52 PM   #33

I looked at those yesterday at the marine store. I may move that way in the future!