Old 08-13-2018, 08:27 PM   #1
Guru

City: Jacksonville
Vessel Name: SONAS
Vessel Model: Grand Alaskan 53
Deck Wash

After a couple of months up here in the Chesapeake area we have had to deal with mud, a lot of mud, on the fore deck.

The crew has been using a fresh water hose to clean the chain and anchor as it comes in, but the pressure up there is not the greatest.

I have a 12v plug up there. Does anyone know of a portable system that can be plugged in, with a hose thrown into the water, that gives a good strong flow to wash the tackle?
menzies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 08:54 AM   #2
TF Site Team

City: Westerly, RI
Vessel Name: N/A
Vessel Model: 1999 Mainship 350 Trawler
We use the raw water wash down to blast the mud off of the chain and anchor. The water pressure on the raw water washdown is significantly stronger. We then use the freshwater wash down to rinse the anchor and the chain in the anchor locker once it's aboard.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 09:10 AM   #3
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in the Great Lakes
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
For cleaning chain, I find pressure from a spray wand, more effective than volume from a hose spray nozzle. My wand is fed with a 60+ psi wash down pump. Jabsco makes diaphragm pumps that self prime to 10' and put out 50 to 70 PSI. The issue may be your wiring to the plug. Most of these pumps draw 15 to 20 amps.

https://www.defender.com/product.jsp?path=-1&id=4121328

Below is the link to the spray wand I use.

https://www.amazon.com/windaze-Press...ef=mp_s_a_1_16

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 09:19 AM   #4
Guru

City: Port Townsend Washington
Vessel Name: " OTTER "
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander Europa 40
A boat of that size and quality should have a dedicated high volume raw water flush permanently installed. Washing anchor chain is a function of both volume and pressure.. rarely can you have too much of either. Is there no plumbing in place currently on the boat for one?
HOLLYWOOD
hollywood8118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 09:24 AM   #5
Guru

City: Brookline, NH
Vessel Name: Shalloway
Vessel Model: Defever 44, twin Perkins
I had also been using fresh water to clean the chain/anchor but at 50PSI (max) not only was the pressure less than I would have preferred, I hated using all that fresh water. So last winter I installed the highest pressure raw water washdown setup I could find. Its a Jabsco hotshot rated at 70 psi and 6gpm and its a lot better. Plus I don't feel bad about using as much water as I need. It is 18amps though. A standard 12V outlet will typically be setup for no more than 15A. If you really want a good washdown you should consider a dedicated setup.

Ken
kchace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 01:33 PM   #6
Guru

I installed a Johnson wash down pump don't recall the specs. Switch is on the lower helm and I teed after the genny intake filter to feed it. Easy install works great.
jleonard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 05:45 AM   #7
FF
Guru

"A boat of that size and quality should have a dedicated high volume raw water flush permanently installed."

Agreed , but this will be costly , so might as well be useful as a major sized bilge pump as well as a fire pump.

2 inch clutched belt driven or a 2 inch well or pool pump for AC power .
FF is offline   Reply With Quote