Deck Shoes - Sperry Sux

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Boy, you are fortunate! I have beautiful spotless decks and that didn't prevent the Coasties from tromping on them with their black tar boots. I still have a small mark on my Trex gunwales from a boarding about two years ago!

Australian customs wear the same nazi punk kicker boots.
When they bring the sniffer dogs onboard they have little protective socks on, I don't know why the boys in black can't do the same.

I have been wearing Sperry Topsiders 'Billfish' shoes for the past 5 years now. I get a solid year out of them before I wear out the soles. The rubber sole is still sticky, but I just wear out the tread and heal. They are not good for standing on my feet all day because of lack of cushion. But, they are the closest I can find to going bare foot with a pair of shoes on. In the wet winter weather, my ever day shoe is a pair of Keen's that are waterproof. (no reason to have wet cold feet in February). So, I only really wear the Sperry's about 8 months out of the year...

I used to buy them on line. No savings in cost, just convenient. I stopped because the leather color often didn't match between the shoes. Not sure why this was the case, but one dark tan and a lite tan looks stupid and it is a pain to return them.

I still like the look and the way they wear over time. I am sticking with them at this point.

My experience with Crocs is they are comfortable and gription is pretty good when new. After some wear they get slick as goose droppings on a treated wood dock. Don't ask me how I know but it is a "tail" I lived to tell about.
I (and my L1 vertebra) can confirm Crocs and wet painted strips between parking spaces are not a good combination, especially if a slope toward an adjacent curb is involved.

I have very much enjoyed Margaritaville shoes by Jimmy Buffet.

Here is my thing on deck shoes... shoe like crocs, flip-flops, and slippers are flat out dangerous. They require you to think about keeping your shoes on your feet. Curling your toes or walking to keep you shoes from falling off. And if they do start to slip off, even if they don't actually fall of, you will tend to over react to try and keep them on. Ever feel like your hat starts to fly off underway? Your arms will go into panic mode to keep it on, even if it doesn't. Same thing. I don't want to end up overboard while underway or during rounds in the middle of the night because my brain is occupied with keeping my shoes on and not on the task at hand. Perhaps I am over thinking it, but I won't wear anything but full shoes or be barefoot on deck. And crocs? They are just sad excuses for footwear anyway :p

Surprised at responses

Crocs are death shoes in the wet, I would never wear them on a boat.
Even on land a hint of rain, a wet footpath or a sign in a shopping centre saying caution, wet tiles and they come off and I am back to my predominant footwear of the past decade - bare feet.

I have used crocs for many years, to include a couple of years on a sail boat with lots of blue water time. I have never felt them to be slippery. I have lost a shoe or two as they are light and blow of the boat easily if not secured. They have also slipped of my feet and caused us to do a shoe over board drill. Good news its they float.

Gordon

Faded Glory Slip On Deck Shoes - $7.97 at WalMart. In deference to you fashion mavens, available in black, blue or white.

I have used crocs for many years, to include a couple of years on a sail boat with lots of blue water time. I have never felt them to be slippery. I have lost a shoe or two as they are light and blow of the boat easily if not secured. They have also slipped of my feet and caused us to do a shoe over board drill. Good news its they float.

Gordon
I have to agree. I use Crocs as my defacto boat washing shoe because they absolutely don't slip at all on my wet soapy decks.
Are you sure you guys are buying the real deal. [emoji10]

Because I have knee issues I'm very picky about the shoes I wear. I look at the bottom to make sure they have good tread and will work when wet and I need really good arch support. Bought my last pair of deck shoes last year after trying on about a dozen different manufacturers and styles. The ones I picked met all of my requirements and have great arch support. Until i read this post I had no idea whose they were. Went to the closet and looked: Sperry Topsider. I also have a pair of Rockports that I rarely wear as the bottoms are hard as bricks. Also have a pair of Jimmy Buffett Margaritaville that have great bottoms for traction but zero arch support.
John

A so far overlooked issue with non supportive flat heeled shoes is they can promote plantar fasciitis. First question I was asked by the treating physio was, had I recently begun wearing boat/deck shoes. Something with a shoe type heel raise may be ok.

Good ideas on shoes....

I'd like a pair that I can slip on without bending over... just kick them on.
And waterproof, to take showers in, roam the deck with traction and comfy. Does any one of these fit the bill?

I've tried a few, and ended up using New Balance and other "medium" price gym shoes with a white bottom, but hard to slide into and not water proof.

There are Crocs and there are Crocs. In general, I don't care for them, but I ran across a Crocs boat shoe which has really worked for me - I've already worn out two pair. That should let you know they don't last forever, but they're not all that expensive, either ($45 or so). They have nylon uppers which dry quickly, are slip-ons, do not have an insole, have grippy soles (even on wet decks) and are easily washed either in a bucket or the washing machine. The drawback I have found is that their sizing seems a bit off, so it's chancy buying them online, and that's about the only place I've seen them available...

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-05-13 at 8.14.55 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-05-13 at 8.14.55 PM.png
    192.3 KB · Views: 64
Good ideas on shoes....

I'd like a pair that I can slip on without bending over... just kick them on.
And waterproof, to take showers in, roam the deck with traction and comfy. Does any one of these fit the bill?

Bare feet work best in all those requirements. They only fail when coming in contact with deck fittings.

no issues with my sperrys. i replace every few years because they get gross. i think my current two pairs are 3-4 years old. they get worn all summer, get soaked, get cleaning soap on them, etc, and they are still in one piece. i usually only replace because they get gross and smelly on the inside.

Couple of things... have we decided if it's Payless Or Wolverine who now owns Sperry?

I was a long time enjoyer of Sperry Santa Cruz sandals on board. Non slip soles, a toe design that protected my "arrival". Sadly, they've stopped production of this model (due to a change in ownership I am now wondering?)

5 weeks ago while out to walk the dog I slipped at the top of the dock ramp. Not sure if the sandal slipped and I kept going or if the sandal "held" and I kept going. End result was the same. A 180degree spiral break of the tibia and fibula with a fractured ankle.
Five more weeks of no weight on the leg before I can return to boating.
All that to say that I have always had a positive experience with Sperrys have worn them since I was a child.

Couple of things... have we decided if it's Payless Or Wolverine who now owns Sperry?

I was a long time enjoyer of Sperry Santa Cruz sandals on board. Non slip soles, a toe design that protected my "arrival". Sadly, they've stopped production of this model (due to a change in ownership I am now wondering?)

5 weeks ago while out to walk the dog I slipped at the top of the dock ramp. Not sure if the sandal slipped and I kept going or if the sandal "held" and I kept going. End result was the same. A 180degree spiral break of the tibia and fibula with a fractured ankle.
Five more weeks of no weight on the leg before I can return to boating.
All that to say that I have always had a positive experience with Sperrys have worn them since I was a child.

Wolverine

I wasn't familiar with that particular sandal so I did a Google search and found them listed as a 'NEW' item at West Marine. Are these the same model? They look comfortable.

https://www.westmarine.com/buy/sperry--men-s-santa-cruz-thong-sandals--P016942906
P016942906S_DARK_BROWN_LRG.jpg

I wasn't familiar with that particular sandal so I did a Google search and found them listed as a 'NEW' item at West Marine. Are these the same model? They look comfortable.

https://www.westmarine.com/buy/sperry--men-s-santa-cruz-thong-sandals--P016942906

P016942906S_DARK_BROWN_LRG.jpg

Those are them Larry M. They haven't been available for a couple of years from Sperry (you could find them in limited sizes of reseller sites).

Perhaps they have made a comeback. Three years ago I purchased every pair in my size at a local Belk's due to a lucky find (they were clearing inventory at the time).

I love them on the boat or around the house. No stubbed toes...

Bare feet work best in all those requirements. They only fail when coming in contact with deck fittings.

Bare feet are the most comfortable, but can be slippery, and too often stub them on something on the deck.

I'm in the shopping mode, and Keens are high on my list, with friends that love them.

Sandles are totally out... just not stable and fall off and trip over them at the wrong time. The only thing they are good with is to shower off with them on... but too dangerous to walk to the shower in.....

xtratuff

Has anyone tried xtratuff boat shoes? I have the boots but hesitate on the shoes.

Has anyone tried a pair of Soft Science shoes yet? I really like some of their offerings but haven't ordered any yet.

Bare feet are the most comfortable, but can be slippery, and too often stub them on something on the deck.

I'm in the shopping mode, and Keens are high on my list, with friends that love them.

Sandles are totally out... just not stable and fall off and trip over them at the wrong time. The only thing they are good with is to shower off with them on... but too dangerous to walk to the shower in.....

Proper fitting sandals (on calm waters) have never failed to prevent a fall on slippery decks. Although that is not to say that a pair of Keens are not desirable. I've got a pair of K2s that I have typically used only when kayaking and fishing. May need to give them some more thought to general versus specialized wear...
IMG_1035.JPG

I've got a pair of Columbia deck shoes that's been good for more than a year.

Stopped buying Sperry's some time ago. I swear they stink before I put them on. The Columbia shoes have been wet dozens of times- no stink so far.

These are "Reef" sandals. The cashier turned the shoes over at the checkout counter and pointed out the beer bottle opener on the bottom.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    149.4 KB · Views: 46
These are "Reef" sandals. The cashier turned the shoes over at the checkout counter and pointed out the beer bottle opener on the bottom.

Finally something useful!!! Amazon here I come.

Edit: Thank you Howard and thank you 2 Day prime.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom