Deck paint

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fotoman

Guru
I repainted my decks last year with Interlux Interdeck. Initially the job was very nice and white but after only afew weeks a lot of hard to clean stains appeared. Now after one season it looks aweful. Did any of you have a similar experience with that paint? Any good alternative?

I'll be watching this for sure. Deck painting party will be soon.

Gray helps hide stuff/uglies.

232323232%7Ffp73438%3Enu%3D3363%3E33%3A%3E57%3B%3EWSNRCG%3D37%3A3%3A33693336nu0mrj

Last edited:
You might check Kiwigrip. However, be aware I have only seen it on two boats swimgrids so far and only one or a bit yrs old. Not long enough to comment on longetivity.

Over 10 years ago my neighbor brought me some deck paint. He worked for Parker Paint and I used it in my entryway in back of the house. I was amazed how much abrasion that paint took. It was not glossy and ever since then I've wondered how it would work on a boat. Anybody done anything like that?

Fotoman, you should contact Interlux and talk to them. They may have suggestions on how to clean the stains or they may give you more paint. At any rate you should let them know you are unhappy.

I repainted my decks last year with Interlux Interdeck. Initially the job was very nice and white but after only afew weeks a lot of hard to clean stains appeared. Now after one season it looks aweful. Did any of you have a similar experience with that paint? Any good alternative?

Fotoman, I just recently did the same, and with Interdeck, Squall Blue, (which I suspect is just Toplac or similar with the grippy stuff added), and it came up well. I have used it every 3-4 yrs, and it cleans quite well with detergent and brush, however, due to the 'grippy' end finish, stains do stick around more than they would on a smooth surface, as do our feet, which is why we use it. I suspect that it's just that white is a colour any stain will show up against rather more than a darker colour. Have you thought of painting it in say blue, or grey, (like Marks' Coot), but with a strip of white still along & around the outer and inner boundaries and other fittings in the deck, like this...

Attachments

• Image073.jpg
    Image073.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 178
  • Image110-2.jpg
    Image110-2.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 493
  • Image080.jpg
    Image080.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 341
For a real no skid deck, Treadmaster , has been #1 world wide for 3 decades.

Loads more co$t than a pail of paint tho.

FF

I'll be watching this for sure. Deck painting party will be soon.

S, You might take a look at so called "truck bed" liner material.
It is used on cruise ships around the pool areas and such, wild animal cages in zoos, floors in warehouses with fork lifts driving over it.
Did my boat in 99 and it is jsut fine today.
CCC

When I owned my 44' Atlantic trawler, I used the Interdeck white and found that it was a bear to keep clean. Living under the flight path to JFK was not a help. However, I used the beige on Tortuga and it stays very clean with minimal use of boat soap and a soft bristle deck brush. Three years now since painting and will refresh it this year.

I was our whit roof with auto tire spray and clorox spray to bleach the spots. however every couple of years have to repaint.

Sure would like to see more pics of your boat Paul. It looks like the boat I wish Willy was but now I'm going to be down south where moorage is $275 a month. The extra length would cost me so I'm more happy w Willy than in the past. But your Clipper looks really good to me.

I have been using the same paint, Grey, for years. I've never had any problems like you have had. I would suggest you might consider using any color but white; it will make any staining less noticeable.

Well there yah go Fotoman - we can't all be wrong...

The darker the color , the harder it is on bare feet.

Ours is BLACK, but with shards of flint as no skid , bare feet are a no ,no.

FF

Ours is BLACK, but with shards of flint as no skid , bare feet are a no ,no.

So is my driveway.

I just painted our salon deck and engine hatch covers. I found out that we used the same paint for wife Chris's craft room. The craft room has held up well for 6 years and only one coat. The paint is acrylic latex. I know almost everybody here has carpet but I do'nt like carpet and have painted plywood floors. On the outside decks as long as one painted w the same color I'll bet the latex would give good service and it's so easy to re coat.

I see you there Marine trader try'in to suck us into your sales trap. Wish someone would eliminate you as you never stop try'in to sell your stuff. We even have a special thread for selling stuff. Like what does your used boat lot have to do w deck paint???

I used acrylic deck paint on my Tollycraft which had the original turquoise that burned the feet on a hot summer day. It is quite durable, it cleans well, and if I want, I can touch it up and it blends in.
I also used some anti skid material which I believe was called "shark skin" or something like that off the shelf.
I used some leftover easypoxy as the primer coat. I did it over a year ago and it looks great.

Fotoman, Awlgrip with a matting agent and non-skid is a 10 year+ finish on the deck, at least in the NW. You have to be able to deal with the fumes, but with a decent respirator it is an easy product to apply, especially on a deck.

A very good alternative is System Three Paints WR-LPU waterborne 2 part polyurethane. I used this on one area and it is still bright after 5 years and seems to hold up really well. The primer is also water soluble and in general, this system is extremely easy to apply. Other than the higher cost of the product, I really don't know why anyone would use an alkyd paint rather than this.

http://www.systemthree.com/reslibrary/literature/Paint_Literature.pdf

That gray paint my be fine up north or out in the SF Bay, but on my swin step, it requires shoes, sandels or rug to cover it during the summer in the CA Delta. Unless your feet are in mid season form, you'll never make it accross my swim step and up the stairs when it is above 90. And it is above 90 alot out this way in the summer.

I used a light tan. My swim step is naked teak, so to speak.

Nothing but white decks for me. I've had teak, grey and beigh decks over the years. I prefer no shoes.

I have light grey decks that need attention. They are just too hot for bare feet in the summer sun, so I'm looking for a cool-feeling, good looking alternative.

I love the look of teak decks, but don't want the expense or maintenance. Does anyone have experience with or knowledge of Plasteak Coolteak?

CoolTEAK Marine Boat Decking | PlasTEAK & PlasDECK

black-line-300x246.jpg

That gray paint my be fine up north or out in the SF Bay, but on my swin step, it requires shoes, sandels or rug to cover it during the summer in the CA Delta. Unless your feet are in mid season form, you'll never make it accross my swim step and up the stairs when it is above 90. And it is above 90 alot out this way in the summer.

You're spot on. Gray decks (which have the temperture of cement) can be hot, but bare feet are a no-no on the Coot.

img_89678_0_9b05e06eb4210baabe4c9c4f84f9ae8f.jpg

We did our non-skid with Kiwigrip. Good stuff and easy to apply, would use it again.

Steve and Gina Smith
M/V Island Time

All of our non-skid is done with white Dura-Bak, that is overcoated with a good coat of "Signature Finish's color Just White". The Dura-Bak is overcoated to tone down the aggressive non-skid, and the white is used to keep the decks cool. Our entire topsides are done in the "Just White" other than the green stripes. Its just too hot in FL to do otherwise....

I have light grey decks that need attention. They are just too hot for bare feet in the summer sun, so I'm looking for a cool-feeling, good looking alternative.

I love the look of teak decks, but don't want the expense or maintenance. Does anyone have experience with or knowledge of Plasteak Coolteak?

CoolTEAK Marine Boat Decking | PlasTEAK & PlasDECK

black-line-300x246.jpg

FlyWright, that looks very much like a product I am familiar with called Flexiteek, and I have it on good authority from someone who moors near me that in warm weather it gets VERY HOT....sorry...
Flexiteek – The original synthetic teak decking material for boats

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom