Old 02-01-2019, 12:50 AM   #1

City: Monroe
Decisions, decisions

My wife and I went to the Seattle Boat Show the other day intending to look at a couple of trawlers that we both agreed would work for us. Long range cruising along the West Coast and Inside Passage.
We had spent a couple of months debating between the Hampton Endurance 658 and the Endurance 72 Sky Lounge. Either boat would work for me, but my wife looks at things a little differently. Imagine my surprise when she chose the Prestige 750!
I have not spent much time aboard a Prestige Yachts vessel and wonder if any of you has an opinion as to which is the better boat. I have looked at Boat Test, Power & Motor Yacht and a couple of other sources and I have no idea which way to go. The Prestige is priced just under $3,000,000.00, while the E 720 is closer to $4,000,000.00. The Prestige is a hull that has been shipped to various boat shows for the last few months.

monroesilk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 05:22 AM   #2
Guru

City: Jacksonville
Vessel Name: SONAS
Vessel Model: Grand Alaskan 53
What do you have now?

menzies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 07:08 AM   #3
Guru

City: Maryland
Vessel Model: 42' Sportfish
Outa my league, but in that range a look at the Fleming 65 might be useful.

-Chris
Old 02-01-2019, 08:50 AM   #4
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger42c View Post
Outa my league, but in that range a look at the Fleming 65 might be useful. -Chris
Yes for a top drawer SD vessel. The F 65 is a proven blue water vessel with the best resale value you could hope for. Important to look beyond the surface glitz. Also check out Outer Reef.
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 01:59 PM   #5
Guru

City: Bellingham WA
Vessel Name: Hatt Trick
Vessel Model: 45' Hatteras Convertible
+1 for any size Fleming. Quality beyond most of its peers and not fancy, which is often skin-deep. The big KK's are also great cruisers and good quality.
Old 02-01-2019, 02:19 PM   #6

City: Fort Lauderdale, FL
Vessel Model: I have keys to lots of boats...
You have to fall in love with the boat you buy. With the amount of money spent on a boat you need to say to yourself "That is my baby" as you walk down the dock to get onboard. Listen to your wife and remember "Happy Wife, Happy Life"
Old 02-01-2019, 11:41 PM   #7
Guru

City: Atlanta
monroesilk, I don't think any of the yachts mentioned can be considered "trawlers." The engines may be able to reliably throttle back to 10 knots when you don't feel like going 20+ knots, but that's a completely different animal compared to throttling back to 7 or 8 kts when your top speed is 10 knots. The KK will do that.

You're considering a big and expensive purchase so it is assumed that you are an experienced boater. Have you clearly defined your requirements - irrespective of the layout/prettiness factors?
makobuilders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 12:29 AM   #8

City: Camarillo
Choices

Number one rule - don't be in a hurry.

# 2 rule -- Don't buy the first one you see that you like.

Lots of good ones out there & you need to look at a lot of them to understand the market for a proper comparison. See what you like & more importantly what you don't like !

Fleming 75 is a good choice.

Kadey-Krogen's in the 48 to 60 foot range are another excellent choice.

Nordhavn 62 is real nice or some of the newer Nordhavn's like the 63 or 72 or so, is another good choice.

But they are completely different animals.

Go look & try on as many different ones as you can. Ask your self how do you want it equipped ? Do you want A/C through out ? Heat system for Alaska ? How many staterooms for guests ? Navigation system ? stabilizer's & which types ? The list goes on.

Boat shopping can be fun, so enjoy yourself & also do some serious thinking about what type of fuel usage you find acceptable, What kind of range you want & what operational speeds are what your looking for & of course what your area of cruising will be ? the Med, Caribbean sea, east coast & Bahamas, or running up & down the west coast & Mexico? South Pacific, etc..

You need to ask yourself the serious question - Like do you plan to cross oceans or be a coastal cruiser ? -- makes a big difference in what type boat you need. -- Planning, semi-displacement or Full Displacement ?

So lots of considerations before you even get close to writing the check.

Also where are you going to keep it birthed ? What will that cost you & how much it's insurance will be ? What is the availability of birthing for a vessel in that length ? 40 to 50 footers can go almost every where - 75 footers, not so much, when it comes to slip availability.

Maybe come weekend cruising out to the islands with one of us here on TF, or go do a charter.

You need to get some experience , because as of right now -- IMHO, your don't know, what you don't know - & may not even know what questions to ask.

So enjoy the getting there & learn a few things first & enjoy getting there as much as the arrival at the end destination.

Good luck.

Alfa Mike
alfamike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 01:35 AM   #9
Guru

City: Atlanta
Quote:
Originally Posted by alfamike View Post
Boat shopping can be fun, so enjoy yourself & also do some serious thinking
Hmm I don't know about that.

I've been flying around the world and obtaining quotes from shipyards in Turkey, Vietnam, India, Ukraine, China, Cambodia, Qatar and I can't remember where else.

Not sure I would label it as fun. Trying to design and spec-out a custom build is work.... okay, enjoyable work
makobuilders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 06:42 AM   #10
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by makobuilders View Post

You're considering a big and expensive purchase so it is assumed that you are an experienced boater. Have you clearly defined your requirements - irrespective of the layout/prettiness factors?
That's why I asked him what he has now. He said on a previous post that he had bought a 72 footer, so I assumed he knew what he was doing, but it didn't read like it.

Post #76

Broker experiences?
Old 02-02-2019, 07:06 AM   #11
Veteran Member

City: Minneapolis
Vessel Name: NoFunAllowed
Vessel Model: Monterey 302 Cruiser (2006)
Iíll say it. This seems like very creative writing. I caught the same feeling based on previous posts I half remembered.

Moving on....
mncruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 07:13 AM   #12
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
MN
You raise a solid question. Why come to TF to get general advice on a $4M boat?
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 09:09 AM   #13
Guru

City: So-Cal
Vessel Model: Helmsman 43 PH
If you do a search, you will find a String on a new build Hampton. He spent a lot of time on different boats for many years prior and knew what he was looking for.

The Prestige has a lot of bling, but take a step back and look at the construction aspects and mechanicals. It would be best to take someone who really knows boats and not a buddy who says he does, and get their opinion. Pay for their time if needed.

We don’t know how you will use the boat and other particulars. Whatever works best for you and your wife, just my .02.
Fletcher500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 09:13 AM   #14
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by mncruiser View Post
Iíll say it. This seems like very creative writing. I caught the same feeling based on previous posts I half remembered.

Moving on....
I always suspect a poster who joins and, right off the bat, flames one business (brokerage) while praising another.
Old 02-03-2019, 09:24 AM   #15

City: =
Vessel Name: Nimiane
Vessel Model: Finn 8
[QUOTE=menzies;737024]I always suspect a poster who joins and, right off the bat, flames one business (brokerage) while praising another.[/QUOTE}

This is a joke - a 'blonde joke'.
Look at the username - Monroe. LOL
song-'bali waters' from film-'morning of the earth'
bogranjac1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 01:22 AM   #16

We recently sold a Hampton 72.
Old 02-06-2019, 01:27 AM   #17

Let me explain a little about my background: 32 years active duty USN. Retired as a Captain. Silk was my call sign while serving as an Aviator. Retired as the CO of an amphibious assault ship (LHA). Next command would have been a carrier. I have a vague idea of how to run a ship. Previous commands were aviation related.
I am a member of a 4 person LLC. We own, but do not run, 4 hotels, Hampton, Holiday Inn Express, Residence Inn and a Courtyard.
I did not join to quickly flame a particular dealer and praise another. We bought the 72' Hampton and ended up leaving it in Australia. Quick turnaround as we never really took possession as business plans changed and we bought the Courtyard Hotel. With the exception of the Courtyard, all properties are debt free.
Old 02-06-2019, 06:34 AM   #18
Guru

Well then, welcome.
Old 02-06-2019, 06:36 AM   #19
Veteran Member

City: Minneapolis
Vessel Name: NoFunAllowed
Vessel Model: Monterey 302 Cruiser (2006)
Thank you for your service. Many here, myself included have done the same.

Apologies if this comes off the wrong way. Not sure if it is your intent, but your posts come off as someone trying to ďimpressĒ in a big way. You may get better responses here if you can tone that down a bit.

Your achievements and background are surely impressive, not sure anyone would disagree.

Why do I spend time here on TF? Well there is so much to learn here from people that have and are living the cruising lifestyle I am striving for someday. Iíve owned 4 boats, youíd think Iíd know a lot right? Coming here and learning shows me Iím still in the pre-school class of boating knowledge. This is why Iím here. Great people willing to share their ideas and experiences about something Iím passionate about, but still kind of suck at!

Iíd encourage you to talk less, ask more, and conversations will flow and you will really see the benefits of this place and the people that hang out here.

Cheers!
mncruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 06:51 AM   #20
Guru

Agreed, and don't be afraid to ask questions, lots of questions.

I've been boating since I was eight years old and I still don't know a damn about trawlers, diesels, or long term cruising!