Debating selling my trawler and moving to FL

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

7tiger7

Hi Guys...
I've been doing alot of thinking lately (dangerous, I know).
I currently live in Boston, but have been thinking of moving to Tampa to be close to my elderly parents, who may not have long left on this earth (I'm an only child and would like to be close to them).
I was going to take my Marine Trader 43' south from Boston to Tampa - but started thinking it would cost too much in fuel, etc. So I'm thinking I could sell the boat here in Boston, where there is a slightly stronger boat market, and then move Tampa and either buy a house or a large trawler and live aboard for a while...

Opinions?

It may take awhile to sell the boat. What do you do in the meantime?

Tough decision to make.
If you really like your boat and have, like many of us, put a lot of effort into keeping it up it may be worth keeping it and mothballing it, at least for the time being.
That might give you some time to figure out if moving the boat is worthwhile and how much it will cost. Maybe move it in stages if you can;t afford the full time in one shot.

1500 miles at 3 gp and 5 k , surely a worst case , would be 500 hours and 1500G of fuel. at $4. per gallon that's 6 grand.

The cost of slip space , brokers fees and sales tax to swop boats, will surely be more than $6K.

By anchoring out , easy for all but some of the FL waterway , fuel and oil should be the only added living expense.

To do a lower cost trip simply do an illegal "trip learning experience" "learn on board a trawler " deal , with some paying passengers.

Been done before,,,,

FF

Take the boat to Tampa and live on it there. You have a nice live-aboard as it is. You might have to add AC for the FL summers. It would be a great trip.

I'd say bring the boat down esp. if its livable. You could always post up on here for crew to help with the trip down. A/C is not an "option" down here in the summertime if you are going to live-aboard in any relative comfort. If you are going to sell your house and belongings up there (and I've only known of older people to move back north to share their death with friends and loved-ones) and remain down here once your family obligations are attended to, the boat would allow you to move around the state to find an area you'd like to stay in yourself without rental contracts, utility deposits, moving furniture and household goods, etc.

If you like your boat and it's suitable for FL (has airconditioning), then taking the boat to FL makes the most sense.

Aside from the costs involved in selling and buying boats, think of all the things you've done to your boat to make it "yours". You want to have to do that all over again?

Many people take their boats south for the winter and back north for the summer every year. They are called "snowbirds".

Have it trucked down. we truck equipment bigger than your boat.

No comparison!!! Keep the boat if you like it and take the trip (or move it if pressed for time). The costs to sell your boat, buy another and bring it up to your liking would be tremendous.

I'm not sure about Tampa liveaboard marinas but there are two on the Manatee River. We enjoyed Twin Dolphin in Bradenton.

I sell boats and I'm saying take her down there and live on her. There is no cheaper more present way to live that I know of.

If you can find the time to make the trip--go for it. The fuel cost will be less than selling and buying another. Take it from experience, as your parents get older your ability to get away on a trip like this may escape you. When you live close they expect to see you a lot, and getting away for more than a day or two becomes a challenge!

Best of luck. I hope you get to go.

JohnP

Come on down! Bring the boat. Welcome to Florida. You've got a great opportunity for a fun cruise. Don't let the opportunity get away. I had my boat built in Maine and trucked down. To this day I regret not running her down on her own bottom.

Without knowing any personal details, the only way selling the boat makes sense financially is if you have found you do not like it. FF has posted directly what others have alluded to indirectly, "Florida is where boats go to die", or words like that.

To test his hypothesis I searched Yachtworld using the following criteria. Used, Power, Year 1970 to 1999 Length 35 to 46 feet. Very broad by anyone's definition. Massachusetts has 361 listings, California 820, Florida 1,455.

I'm certain geography and other factors play key roles in this but I've heard and seen on this and other forums similar advice similar in sentiment to FF's. "If you want to sell it get it outta Florida" seems to be a fairly common sentiment.

Bottom line. If you like it, keep it. If not, sell it where it sits. Either way you are money ahead in my line of thinking.

If swolowing the anchor is in the plan , YES YES YES , to eventually see any money the boat will need to go back , out of Florida's Hotel California , sales area.

In theory , if you are looking to have a full time job for a couple of years , and have all the skill sets , knowledge and tools, you could sell out in the North.

Then by a std FL boat "fixer upper"and have a hobby.

Much of the price of repairs is labor , and FL has many marine used equipment stores , where items like ranges can be had for 1/10 the new price.

Another hobby? The goal, "Paint Sells the Boat".

FF

Hi Guys,
thanks for all the great input. I'll have to do some serious thinking about this... but part of the reason I'd sell her is to use the money to buy a house down in FL.

Hi Guys,
thanks for all the great input. I'll have to do some serious thinking about this... but part of the reason I'd sell her is to use the money to buy a house down in FL.
If you own a house in or near Boston, my bet is, what you get from selling it will more than buy a house in FL.

Only you know your circumstances and only you know what's best for you. I'm surprised you would ask strangers for advice.

Hi,
I don't consider you guys here "strangers" - just friends who live far away but whom I haven't visited yet :)
I do have a condo in Boston, but doesn't make financial sense to sell it. I'd loose money on it now, and I can rent it to friends to break even on the mortgage.

Sell a boat to buy a house in Florida and be without a boat? Doesn't sound like a great idea, imagine being here in SWFlorida without a boat. All that you would have is a house with no resale value and no boat. Bring your boat on down here and enjoy the liveaboard lifestyle.

Just my 2 cents. ;-)

Fl areas vary , in many terms.

I would rent for a year and visit the variety of towns , the huge variety in pricing , the distance to shopping , the hospital etc.

Of course with a $5000 motor home you can do the same looking by spending a month (cheapest camping rate) in different areas to decide where to go.

Same rental cost , you just get greater mobility as FL is a huge state..

FF

I'd be very careful buying a house in Florida right now. The market still hasn't really recovered at all, another drop could happen. It seems like you can buy a condo for the cost of the maintenance fees, almost.

St. Pete downtown area has lots of nice marinas, I'm pretty sure some are liveaboard.

I currently live in Boston, but have been thinking of moving to Tampa ......

One of the many things you have left out of your post is your source of income. Are you retired or independently wealthy? Do you have a job that you can transfer to Florida? Will you quit your job and try to find one in FL?

You can live pretty inexpensively in central (rural) FL. You can find inexpensive homes in Tampa or St Petersburg or you can find luxury condos at high prices. Or anything in between.

So I'm thinking I could sell the boat here in Boston, where there is a slightly stronger boat market, and then move Tampa and either buy a house or a large trawler and live aboard for a while...

Opinions?

A house should increase in value over time assuming we don't fall into another housing value hole. Prices are low in this area (Puget Sound) but the demand for housing has outstripped the supply so house prices are starting to reflect this. At least so say friends in the real estate business.

A boat will decrease in value over time unless it's a vintage collector boat like a Gar Wood, Hacker Craft, Chris Craft and the like. So I don't think a boat should ever be viewed as an investment. It's just a toy. Even if you live on it, it's not an investment in the sense a house or property are.

Living aboard a boat in a place that often has good deals on hurricanes does not seem a particuarly smart thing to do although I'm sure there are plenty of people who do it and enjoy it nevertheless.

How much time to you use your boat now, and how much time do you anticipate using a boat in Florida? Do you work and if so does that work tend to limit your vacation time?

How much do you like your current boat? Since selling it is something you're willing to entertain I'm guessing you're not super attached to it. The people on this forum I get the impression are attached to their boats don't seem to think it's any big deal to run them up or down to where they're going to be.

So if you're not all that attached to your boat perhaps it makes the most sense to sell it, buy a house with good resale potential in Florida and charter a boat whenever you have the time or the urge to take a cruise. If you anticipate spending more time helping your parents as time goes on, something like a boat tends to take a back seat. And while it's in the back seat, it can have a tendency to deteriorate some and cost you a bunch of money when you have the time to get back to it.

So lots and lots of variables and you're asking people who don't know a thing about you or your financial, work, retirement, etc. situation. So the bottom line is that I think you should do whatever your gut tells you is the right thing to do.. That's always worked for me when I've had major decisions to make. None of us can or should make that decision for you, or even should really be trying to "help" you with it even though it's always fun to tell someone else what we think they should be doing even though we don't have a clue what we're talking about. :)

PS---I'm not looking for you to give me answers to the questions I posed earlier in this post. The answers are none of my business and I'm not particularly interested anyway. I posed them because I think they are what you should be asking yourself if you haven't already. Because your answers to those and a host of other questions will --- along with what you feel in your gut---- define for you what your action should be.

Last edited:
"A house should increase in value over time assuming we don't fall into another housing value hole. Prices are low in this area (Puget Sound) but the demand for housing has outstripped the supply so house prices are starting to reflect this. At least so say friends in the real estate business."

Except that about 61% of the public can handle owning a home and close to 70% is the home supplY.

Home prices are still falling , tho of course there could be pocket of slowing falling prices.

THE Kids look at the results of the fanny & freddy debacle and see a home as a loosing deal that ties them top a place costing the mobility to move upwards in a company, or swop employers .

Economists call a house a "wasting asset
, just like a boat.

FF

Marin - I don't always (ever? haha) agree with you on things here - but you are spot on in your post. I guess the question I should of posed is: Would I be better off selling my boat in Boston, saving the time and transportation costs to sail her down to Tampa, and then buy a smaller trawler (thinking mid-30's sedan or such) for less money. Or buy a similar boat for less money, as prices seem lower in Florida.
I do appreciate the input from everyone here - alot of you raised points I hadn't thought of.
Thanks!

"A house should increase in value over time assuming we don't fall into another housing value hole. Prices are low in this area (Puget Sound) but the demand for housing has outstripped the supply so house prices are starting to reflect this. At least so say friends in the real estate business."

Except that about 61% of the public can handle owning a home and close to 70% is the home supplY.

Home prices are still falling , tho of course there could be pocket of slowing falling prices.

THE Kids look at the results of the fanny & freddy debacle and see a home as a loosing deal that ties them top a place costing the mobility to move upwards in a company, or swop employers .

Economists call a house a "wasting asset
, just like a boat.

FF

News today on Seattle radio station was that in King County (Seattle) over 40% of homes were distressed sales, that is they were being sold for less than what was owed or already bank owned. In the neighboring counties the number was over 50%.

I guess the question I should of posed is: Would I be better off selling my boat in Boston, saving the time and transportation costs to sail her down to Tampa, and then buy a smaller trawler (thinking mid-30's sedan or such) for less money."

How much do you like your current boat?
Does a cruise down the ICW sound like something you'd like to do regardless of whether you move to Florida or not?
Which will be more of a hassle--- selling your current boat or taking it down to Florida?
Is trucking your boat any sort of viable option? We trucked ours up from California---- took only three days.
Will a 30' boat meet your needs considering what you have now?
Do you like shopping for a new boat, schlepping around looking at this boat and that one, trying to find one that will work as well for you, as what you have now, negotiating prices, getting surveys, etc?
Do you want to screw around with finding moorage in Florida or coming up with temporary solutions while you work your way up a marina waiting list?
Do you want to pay whatever the going rate for moorage is in the place where you settle for a boat the size of yours?
Do you want to deal with moving the boat, hauling it, finding a hidey hole, whatever people do down there with boats when a hurricane heads their way?

Seems like these are some questions to ask and answer, too, if you haven't already.

Last edited:
News today on Seattle radio station was that in King County (Seattle) over 40% of homes were distressed sales, that is they were being sold for less than what was owed or already bank owned. In the neighboring counties the number was over 50%.

Right, BUT...... according to friends of my wife's who are in the high end of the real estate business, while prices are low the distressed sales are the result of people buying too much house several years ago betting the value would go up and then the bottom fell out and they are now upside down with their mortgages. So the making of the situation that was reported on the radio is not something new, but is something that was set up to happen several years ago.

What's happening today, according to people we know in the full-time real estate business, is that there is an increasing shortage of housing in the Puget Sound area, particulary in the greater Seattle-Bellevue-Redmond-Woodinville-Issaquah area and the competition for houses is getting fierce. Heard a realtor on the radio today saying that while many of the houses for sale are distressed or short sales, he is now getting multiple bids on every house he lists and the potential buyers are starting to bid the prices up again. The overall market is wonderful for buyers because the prices are still much lower than they were before the crash, but the prices are starting a steady climb upwards now.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom