Old 02-17-2016, 07:43 PM   #21
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by Insequent View Post
Early on the biggest showstopper for me was headroom. At the time I was looking at sailing catamarans.
Headroom is definitely a show stopper for me. If I can't stand up straight, then nothing else really matters.

BandB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 07:44 PM   #22
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceK View Post
The problem with lies and misrepresentation is like cockroaches,if you find one there are probably plenty more,and trust in the seller, broker, and the boat, begins to evaporate.
I've often found people will lie about something that isn't even important. Then you know they'd lie to cover up problems.

Old 02-17-2016, 08:03 PM   #23
Guru

Any boat with VOLVO engines. If I would have known of VOLVO's lack of support for their products I would not have bought our current boat.
ancora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 08:24 PM   #24
Guru

City: Lions Bay, BC
Vessel Name: Phoenix Hunter
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 42 (1985)
Deal killers on a boat purchase...

1) Untidy or neglected ER. Cleanliness is next to Goddliness.

2) No Maintenance logs or intermittent entries.

3) Mildew odour.

4) Evidence of neglect, inside or out.

5) low hours over the recent 2-5 year period.

6) Evidence of major damage or accident.

7) Few recent upgrades, i.e. old electronics, stove, fridge. If everything else checks out, I would bend on this point.

I would assume that one has a good idea of what sort of vessel make and size they would want at this stage. The above would be what I would use to discriminate between vessels,within a category or make/model.

Jim
Sent from my iPad using Trawler Forum
JDCAVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 08:28 PM   #25
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by High Wire View Post
1) Evidence the owner did not try to maintain the ER. (IE oil under the engine that had not been touched in years. Engine oil that clings to the dipstick like coal tar, etc.) See photo from boat we walked from.
2) Teak decks with leaks into the cabin
3) Twin beds or beds with one side access.
4) Only one half size refer.
5) Leaking fuel tank(s).

Oh Yah! And the leaking fuel tank and teak deck issues!

Jim
Old 02-17-2016, 09:03 PM   #26
Guru

City: Venice Louisiana
When I look at a boat I go in with the attitude/knowledge that I can fix anything. On the flip side, I already know what most likely needs attention. The broker or owner can lie there a$$ off and it will not affect my inspection. They probably will not like my offer and will like my reasoning even less. Brokers generally dont like me and I dont like them. Case in point would be most KK42s. They have there problems, but owners/brokers want to represent them as being perfect and usually wont tell you about the rusted steel tanks or the cored decks and leaking windows/hatches.Knowledge is the key.
kulas44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 09:22 PM   #27
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
The antithesis of my boat.
Old 02-17-2016, 09:32 PM   #28
Guru

Deal killers on a boat purchase...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kulas44 View Post
Case in point would be most KK42s. They have there problems, but owners/brokers want to represent them as being perfect and usually wont tell you about the rusted steel tanks or the cored decks and leaking windows/hatches.Knowledge is the key.
That's a major generalization! You can come on my vessel any day and I'll demonstrate otherwise.

Jim
Old 02-17-2016, 10:06 PM   #29
GFC
Guru

City: Tri Cities, WA
Vessel Name: Beachcomber
Vessel Model: Sea Ray 550 Sedan Bridge
Things I've found when looking at boats to buy that were deal breakers:

1. both engines on a dual engine boat were so low on oil it took a gallon in each engine to bring them up to the full mark on the dipstick.
2. on a custom build boat that was several years old the wood around inside of the front windshield and below the doors from the pilothouse to the walkway were stained black from water ingress.

Other things that were deal breakers from me when we were looking for our current boat:
3. lack of headroom
4. designs where you were constantly going up and down steps as you moved from one area of the boat to another
5. single helm
6. no fly bridge
7. exterior wood of any kind (a small amount of interior wood was allowable)
8. insufficient tankage for the design of boat
9. lack of space for entertaining large groups (18-20 people)
Old 02-17-2016, 10:41 PM   #30
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyoboater View Post
1: Climb over bed in the master.
That is an excellent point. A Pullman berth is a non-starter for my wife and I. Too bad as there are some older, high quality trawlers on the market that would be interesting if it weren't for that. Heck, for the price difference, I could buy an other boat with exposed teak, buy a boathouse, and still pay less than an all plastic and stainless exterior trawler of equivalent size.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 10:49 PM   #31
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhays View Post
That is an excellent point. A Pullman berth is a non-starter for my wife and I. Too bad as there are some older, high quality trawlers on the market that would be interesting if it weren't for that. Heck, for the price difference, I could buy an other boat with exposed teak, buy a boathouse, and still pay less than an all plastic and stainless exterior trawler of equivalent size.
Since I've the weaker bladder, I sleep on the outside. Besides, I like the feeling of my sweetie crawling over me.

Old 02-18-2016, 12:18 AM   #32
Guru

City: Meydenbauer Bay Yacht Club
Vessel Name: Refugio
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
A deal killer for me on any purchase is for the salesperson to lie to me. The moment they start saying things I know not to be true, I'm gone. I might even ask questions that I know the answers to just to give them the chance. I just don't deal with dishonest people.
I don't believe anything they say, so that's not as important to me.

Keith
Old 02-18-2016, 12:23 AM   #33

City: Salt Spring Island
Vessel Name: Twilight
Vessel Model: Permaglass Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhays View Post
That is an excellent point. A Pullman berth is a non-starter for my wife and I. Too bad as there are some older, high quality trawlers on the market that would be interesting if it weren't for that.
Depends on the berth size. We have a 13' beam and two big twin berths. Each is close to what we used to call a "double bed" when I was a swain. When bunking families it's more versatile, and easier to make the bed, manageable when I'm out there in the damp off-season, looking forward to its electric blanket and my reading library alongside.

OTOH, we don't have a shower in Mokum, a 37' boat, it having beeen wheelchair accessible (30" door) for the PO, which left us with a hand shower hideout on the swim grid behind the dinghy. It's adorable to an old freak, and maintaining a shower stall and its habits? - nobody waved goodbye.
djones44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 12:49 AM   #34
Guru

City: Sydney
Quote:
Originally Posted by GFC View Post
Things I've found when looking at boats to buy that were deal breakers:

1. both engines on a dual engine boat were so low on oil it took a gallon in each engine to bring them up to the full mark on the dipstick.
2. on a custom build boat that was several years old the wood around inside of the front windshield and below the doors from the pilothouse to the walkway were stained black from water ingress.

Other things that were deal breakers from me when we were looking for our current boat:
3. lack of headroom
4. designs where you were constantly going up and down steps as you moved from one area of the boat to another
5. single helm
6. no fly bridge
7. exterior wood of any kind (a small amount of interior wood was allowable)
8. insufficient tankage for the design of boat
9. lack of space for entertaining large groups (18-20 people)
Just shows how different we all are I purchased a boat to be as far away for people and groups as absolute possible and a fly bridge to be out in late afternoon cool enjoying 360 deg views
gaston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 01:18 AM   #35
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaston View Post
Just shows how different we all are I purchased a boat to be as far away for people and groups as absolute possible and a fly bridge to be out in late afternoon cool enjoying 360 deg views
Definitely a reminder why every potential buyer needs to define their own requirements.
Old 02-18-2016, 06:22 AM   #36
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in Crisfield, MD
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
1. A long f*ckit list. That's when the owner stops fixing things and just wants to sell the boat. We all expect a few items, but when more things don't work than do, you start to wonder about the expensive stuff.

2. Oil covering bilge water. Don't want either, but both is a sign of long avoided maintenance.

3. Soft decks, walls, and interior floors are difficult to determine the extent of needed repairs.

4. Poor equipment removal. Sooner or later most mechanical equipment needs to be replaced or rebuilt. If I need to pull the engine or replace the washing machine, I don't want to have to cut holes in the roof or side to extract or add equipment.

5. Unprotected propeller. Whether you have twins or a single, having the prop(s) as the lowest point is just begging for trouble.

Personal no goes include:

1. Poor interior helm station.
2. Gas engine or generator.
3. Twin engines on a boat under 45'.
4. Poor visibility from helm for stern in docking.
5. Canvas, Isenglass, and anything that resembles an oxygen tent.

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 07:36 AM   #37
Guru

City: Venice Louisiana
I did say "most KK42s" Dont get me wrong I do love the design of these boats, its just that there reputation seems to be a bit overblown. I dont recall having ever met a kk42 owner that didnt think his/her boat was perfect. Brokers love these boats because they bring a premium (more $$$ in his pocket) and they sell very good. You never hear a seller or broker say "these boats were made next to the famed Chung Hwa boats".
kulas44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 08:10 AM   #38
Guru

City: Satsuma FL
Vessel Name: No Mo Trawla
Vessel Model: Hurricane SS188
Quote:
Originally Posted by kulas44 View Post
You never hear a seller or broker say "these boats were made next to the famed Chung Hwa boats".
That is because they were made next to Chien Hwa boats.
Donsan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 08:24 AM   #39
Guru

City: Scottsboro, Al.
Vessel Name: Hi-D-Ho
Vessel Model: 1987 Krogen Manatee
I don't know about Chung Hwa but Chien Hwa built some pretty stout Manatee's, of course Krogen told them how they wanted it built and did not skimp on the quality.
Bad talk about Volvo engines is deserved mainly in the price of engine parts. I have had two, pricey parts and connections made with "O" rings take some getting used too. However one of the best diesel mechanics I know told me the TMD 31A on the Manatee is a great engine. Not a "throw away design" meaning you can rebuild it.
HiDHo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 08:37 AM   #40
Guru

City: Satsuma FL
Vessel Name: No Mo Trawla
Vessel Model: Hurricane SS188
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiDHo View Post
I don't know about Chung Hwa but Chien Hwa built some pretty stout Manatee's, of course Krogen told them how they wanted it built and did not skimp on the quality.
My understanding is the Manatee was built by Fu Hwa. KK used several different yards for different models of their boats.

Donsan is online now   Reply With Quote