Old 09-26-2018, 06:56 PM   #1
Veteran Member

City: Broomfield
de-humidification

What does everyone use for de-humidification? I am trying to seal everything up and I would like to add some additional backup.

Drago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 07:07 PM   #2
Veteran Member

City: Broomfield
de-humidification

Anybody have the answer to dehumidification??

Drago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 07:17 PM   #3
Guru

City: Gibsons
Vessel Name: Island Pride
Vessel Model: Palmer
What kind of answer? Do you have a problem now and if so what? If just for general questions then it will help keep the boat interior drier but like all tools it may not be a cure all if there is another underlying problem.

Some info from you about what you are wondering should help get a better answer.
C lectric is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 07:18 PM   #4
Guru

City: Galveston, Texas
Vessel Model: 24" El Pescador
Dehumidifier

Not being a smart ass. When it's cold out and heater on (Alaska) humidity would go up and boat (especially below) would get "sticky" When on shore power or GenSet I would run a dehumidifier...just one I bought in Home Depot/Lowes...made a difference.
Old 09-26-2018, 07:24 PM   #5
Guru

City: Cape Cod
Vessel Name: Slip Aweigh
Vessel Model: Prairie 29
de-humidification

I have found after Iím hauled out and shrink wrapped I take a dehumidifier to the boat and run in for a week or so with the drain hose stuck down the opened strainer and out the thruhull. Completely removes the moisture. As I visit the boat I plug it in occasionally to keep humidity down.

Itís nice to not have mold growing over the winter.
cappy208 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 07:51 PM   #6
Guru

City: Gibsons
Vessel Name: Island Pride
Vessel Model: Palmer
You have two posts with almost the same question but a hair more detail.

"Seal everything up" may be a mistake. That is often an open invitation to mildew and moisture problems. You cannot stop moisture from entering a boat. The humidity level will get higher and higher because it will breathe and the moisture will be trapped. No, it will not get out on its own once in.

Protect windows and doors from direct rain and anything else you can but even my full cover has ventilation. We get lots of rain in the winter.

Provide ventilation somehow. Use fans inside to force circulation. I use two small fans set into windows that push air outside to change air from inside.
I also use many other small fans to force circulation around the interior and out of some areas such as the Vberth so they are not isolated.

I use two small dehumidifiers, one in the galley to look after the salon, one in the head to look after the fwd. part. THey are on timers as they can freeze up in cold or freezing weather so cannot be left running all the time, or shouldn't, or they become useless. They also were modified, very easily, to drain into the galley and head sinks so the catch pans are now self draining.
Others use one larger dehumidifier but again they can freeze up. You will need to modify to make many of them self draining into a sink that itself drains.

I learned years ago that even with the dehumidifiers and some fans I could still have damp areas which then mildewed. Once I figured out to force circulation the mildew disappeared.
Getting down to the boat , or a trusted friend, to check regularly will help.

The dehumidifiers are only one tool to help.

The fans a small, 3" muffin or computer types of about 10watts each so a lot of them do a good job without running the power bill way up. I simply mount them on a piece of plywood and set them around in a manner to move air.

Any more specific questions , then ask, but please a bit of detail about what you requesting.
C lectric is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 07:57 PM   #7
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drago View Post
Anybody have the answer to dehumidification??

Yes.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 08:05 PM   #8
Guru

City: Las Vegas/West Coast
Vessel Name: Pairadice
Vessel Model: Selene 47
After trying the ďDamp RidĒ and the small dehumidifier, we switched to this one. This thing really sucks the moisture out. And since we are heading south next year and humidity is pretty high down south, we needed a solution.
Done!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	50F581EA-6CA3-43FB-A712-FD2381A31FDB.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	100.5 KB
ID:	81247  
Crusty Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 08:09 PM   #9
Guru

City: Port Angeles, WA
Vessel Name: Irene
We use a few Davis Air Dryrs (sic), along with one 1000w electric space heater on a thermostat for heat. We have no moisture issues.

We have 2 dorade vents open, and 4 engine room vents that are covered with sunbrella so some air passes. I usually leave the engine room door open to the cabin.
Old 09-26-2018, 09:10 PM   #10
Guru

City: New Orleans
Vessel Name: Panache
Vessel Model: Viking 43 Double Cabin '76
This is going to be location and boat specific. Down here in the sweatbelt, when not aboard, I placed a fan (carpet dryer) set in the v-berth that gives slight but sensible air movement all the way to the aft cabin. Runs on low speed perpetually. Zero condensation and/or mold issues. Summer and winter. Down here the dank cooler months are the major challenge. A little air circulation goes a long way. Might try that first.
sbu22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 09:35 PM   #11
Guru

City: Southport, Florida
Vessel Name: FROLIC
Vessel Model: Mainship 30 Pilot II since 2015. Owned wooden 1972 Grand Banks 42 from 1986 to 2015
Send a message via Skype™ to rgano
Here in Panama City area, you will be one sorry person if you walked off and left a boat closed up for an extended time, summer or winter. I cannot do too much about the bridge deck are of my downeast style boat other than go out every three months or some and use Tilex mold root killer and a rag to wipe away the new mold. To protect the faux leather upholstery and vinyl overhead and all other surfaces I employ a very small Walmart Peltier effect dehumidifier 24/7/365 which seems to do a good job. All cabinets and doors are opened, and I drilled a hole in the bottom of the quart-sized bucket of the dehumidifier, glued a few feet of small clear vinyl hose into it and put the end in the galley sink to drain. On my wooden trawler, I used the largest freon-coolant dehumidifier I could strap onto the forward head vanity and set it up the drain through the sink, again 24/7/365. I am thinking for somebody in the PNW witha minor winter heating bit of humidity one of the larger Peltier effect units would work. What have you got to lose for a mere 40-50 bucks?
rgano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 10:05 PM   #12
Guru

City: Miami Florida
Vessel Name: Possum
Vessel Model: Ellis 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgano View Post
Here in Panama City area, you will be one sorry person if you walked off and left a boat closed up for an extended time, summer or winter. I cannot do too much about the bridge deck are of my downeast style boat other than go out every three months or some and use Tilex mold root killer and a rag to wipe away the new mold. To protect the faux leather upholstery and vinyl overhead and all other surfaces I employ a very small Walmart Peltier effect dehumidifier 24/7/365 which seems to do a good job. All cabinets and doors are opened, and I drilled a hole in the bottom of the quart-sized bucket of the dehumidifier, glued a few feet of small clear vinyl hose into it and put the end in the galley sink to drain. On my wooden trawler, I used the largest freon-coolant dehumidifier I could strap onto the forward head vanity and set it up the drain through the sink, again 24/7/365. I am thinking for somebody in the PNW witha minor winter heating bit of humidity one of the larger Peltier effect units would work. What have you got to lose for a mere 40-50 bucks?
Thatís exactly what I did. I had a terrible problem with mildew on Possum. I bought one of the little Peltier Effect dehumidifiers, plugged it in, ran a drain hose to the sink and the humidity dropped down to about 60%. That cured the mildew problem. https://www.amazon.com/Eva-dry-Edv-1...70695489&psc=1

Pick up a cheap hygrometer so you can keep track of the humidity.
https://www.amazon.com/Habor-Hygrome...15890685&psc=1
Old 09-26-2018, 10:33 PM   #13
TF Site Team

City: League City, Tx
Vessel Model: Carver 356
For whatever reason, I had a very big problem on my Mainship Pilot. I listed it with a broker and he had a showing and I get a call with...."What in the hell is wrong with yhour boat"??? I go down there and the inside of my boat is GREEN!!!!!!! After a good cleaning and placing a smallish dehumidifier in the galley sink, everything was fine. And those people that saw it in its green state still bought it!!!

So A dhumidier I bought from amazon!!!! I still have it and use it on occasion!!
Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 10:40 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

City: SEWARD ALASKA
Vessel Name: LISAS WAY
Vessel Model: BAYLINER 4788
I have a dehumidifier for both the main salon and the foreward cabin.

Real dehumidifers bought at Home Depot for a couple hundred dollars each.

I set the humidity at 55% and the boat is nice and dry...no clamminess, no condensation, just a nice dry boat.

One of the best boat investments i ever made.
www.boatparts4less.com
ksanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 10:45 PM   #15
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Use a 30 pint compressor type of dehumidifier draining into a sink drain. Add few fans to keep the air circulating. Run it 24/7.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 09:08 AM   #16
Guru

City: Anacortes
I acquired one of these
http://www.ebacusa.com/hvac/CD30.html

I put it next to the galley sink in the winter. Has made a tremendous difference.

Boatyards take all sorts of gizmos off boats when they are being sold. I got this one for free. I was going to buy a cheap one, so I donít have a comparison and can only say that this thing really really works.
ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 09:32 AM   #17

City: Toronto ON
Boring old house dehumidifier, bought on sale, with the hose attachment option, which most seem to be coming with now...

sits carelessly on the counter, short hose into the kitchen sink, while docked in a sheltered marina.

Perhaps something more purposeful in an installation, when I get a round tuit and all the other imagined renovations...?

Does the job, and this time of year, puts just as many heat BTU into the boat as amps it consumes. AC takes care of most summer time moisture.

RB
Roamer Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 10:00 AM   #18
Guru

City: League City, TX
Vessel Name: Pelago
Vessel Model: Wellcraft 3300 Coastal
I've used the Mermaid Manufacturing Dry-Pal on my last two boats and have been very satisfied. I plan to permanently install one under the settee of my current boat. It uses 1/3 the power of my A/C and keeps the interior humidity between 35-45%. It does generate heat and some noise, so it is only used when the boat is not occupied. Otherwise, A/C or lots of fresh air.

Old 09-27-2018, 10:56 AM   #19

City: Beaufort, NC
Vessel Model: Mikelson 43
I've posted this before, but...my Cruisair units have a dehumidification setting. You hold three buttons on the thermostat panel at once to activate.

The default setting is that the unit runs for 30 minutes, regardless of temperature, twice a day. You can adjust for more operating time if needed.

The default setting is all that I've needed in coastal NC, which is a relatively humid location. There's no need to deal with another piece of mechanical equipment, and the fan on the a/c unit circulates cabin air as the system is running.

The worst mold problems in my area occur in the spring. Relative humidity is high, but air temp is not. Interior surfaces of the boat are cool (below dew point), and moisture condenses on those surfaces. That's what produces mold.

So, just running the a/c may not take care of high humidity in the spring, unless you run the a/c at very low temperatures. The dehumidifier setting runs even when ambient temp is low.
ABfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 06:11 AM   #20
FF
Guru

We store in FL for 6 summer months.

We are NOT aboard during the storage.

Tried many solutions and a rotary vent as seen on rooftops seems to work to return to a non green slime interior.

The Dorades let air in , the vent pulls it out.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/173490894310

Purchase an aluminum unit with SS bearings.

Vent from the furthest point in the hull or cabin to get all the moisture.

FF is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
humidity