Davit Questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jpoffseasn

We recently purchased a 34 Pilot Rum Runner (2006). Trying to figure out what Davit system to employ to tow/haul our 9' 10" hard bottom inflatable w/9.8hp
engine. Any thoughts out there?

I've had Weaver snap-davit style on each of our past three boats. They are fairly cheap, effective, and easy to use. The big downside, IMO, is that they block the view aft from the cockpit, and handling the outboard can be a pain (we have a bracket installed on the transom, so need to remove it each time we deploy -- so we've switched to just rowing). Here's an example of what I mean by the blocked view; it's not terrible, just a minor annoyance:
11822400_10153524100089096_8468589590104755762_n.jpg

One of the features that really looks intriguing is storing the dinghy up on the flybridge. I understand that deployment in an emergency is not as easy.... but in that type of situation I'd hopefully figure out how to get the dinghy off quickly.

If I could have my choice of swimstep davit, the Edson style where the dinghy is lifted clear of the water and stored level with the water would be my personal choice.

Also interested in other opinions.

Last edited:
I have a Pilot 34 with the Weaver Davits. It has a 4 part block and tackle that pulls it up and attaches to the inside of the cabin top. The outboard motor, a 9.8 hp Nissan and bracket on the transom just clears the dinghy when pulled up so I don't have to do anything with it. The dinghy is 9' 6".

The dinghy does block your view aft, but I can lower it in a couple of minutes.

Works very nicely. Pics below.

David

Attachments

• Bella at our dock small.jpg
    Bella at our dock small.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 70
  • Bella elevation shot.jpg
    Bella elevation shot.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 72
Last edited:
I have had 5 different davit systems on 5 different boats. I agree with MattB about the inflatable on a Weaver blocking your view, but it is your least expensive and a very effective davit. It also leaves your swimstep mostly clear of gear when the dinghy is down. But it depends on how much you want to lift. How much do the dinghy and motor weigh? Our SeaWise, makes lifting our 10' Zodiac with a hard-bottom and a Tohatsu 8Hp 4 stroke easy--I think it would be a bit of a muscle strain to pull that weight up on a Weaver as I get older. With motor, ours weighs the better part of 400#. It presents the same view issue when the dinghy is up but it also adds a fixed SS post on the swim step which makes it more difficult to use the outer portion of the step, and when at a dock, makes it a little more difficult to get off and on from the side where the post is located. If view is the issue you recapture it by putting the inflatable in the water. If money is not an issue--and I sure wish it never was-- there are alternatives in the aft lift-tilt horizontal davits, including ones where the fork goes all the way down to the swimstep, others where the davit is aft of the swimstep and in the water entirely when the dinghy is launched. Both of those types give you good access across your swimstep but you will likely still have some view issue even with these. The other horizontal tilt types leave the forks up in the way and make crossing the swimstep a challenge. I would walk a lot of docks, see what others have--particularly similar Mainships--and get input from their owners.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom