Dauntless in Power and Motoryacht

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I liked this from the article:

While radar and AIS gave him peace of mind, it was his handheld DeLorme InReach SE that Bost says saved his sanity.
When everything goes to hell I don’t want people calling me to ask if I’m OK. I’d rather lick my wounds in privacy like a cat,” says
Bost laughing. “If we really needed advice on something I had the $60
unlimited texting plan so we could connect with a few people."

:rofl:

The InReach really impressed me, especially for the cost. We could even see when the batteries were getting low and tell Richard to check them. :thumb: I don't think there was ever a lost text.

Later,
Dan

It is an interesting article. But it gives the impression that all you need for a safe Atlantic crossing is the proper electronics. There is much, much more to it.

How about a safe fuel venting system that won't get sea water down it, windows that won't cave in as green water hits them, floor boards that won't pop up when the boat lists over in a storm. And last and most important, seamanship.

David

I thought it was a pretty good read also!

It is an interesting article. But it gives the impression that all you need for a safe Atlantic crossing is the proper electronics. There is much, much more to it.

How about a safe fuel venting system that won't get sea water down it, windows that won't cave in as green water hits them, floor boards that won't pop up when the boat lists over in a storm. And last and most important, seamanship.

David

Yes, all true.

But it's the mark of a good writer who can keep the story focused.

That's my biggest challenge in writing for the blog, my tendency to include too much.

Congrats on the publicity, though I too feel a bit shorted that it was only an electronics article. Your accomplishments went far beyond buying and using gadgets.
All the best as you continue on the journey.

Congrats on the publicity, though I too feel a bit shorted that it was only an electronics article. Your accomplishments went far beyond buying and using gadgets.
All the best as you continue on the journey.

Hey, you guys know I like to talk.

For whatever reason Dan Harding at Power & Motor Yacht, is the only editor who has shown any interest.

On another note, I've been going thru the 6,300 pictures i took this summer.

I'll make a directory of the best, most representative 10%, then make that a public directory on smugmug.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom