Dauntless' Panama Canal transit

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Now, how cool is that?:socool:

Wow! Serendipity for sure! Great pics!

From the looks of this, he's dropped his additional crewmember off at the dock and is anchored out now reliving the whole thing! Very cool indeed!

Attachments

• PanamaDauntless.jpg
    PanamaDauntless.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 118
Item on our local news today is that our new ferry is now in the Pacific Ocean but I already knew that because of your photos. Thanks!

Richard, did you do some painting? I recall you had painted a lot of the trim an orangish color when you were behind my store.

He's on the move again. Left the canal zone and presumably heading N up the coast.

Looks like he got a nap in a little bay. Back on the move again this am.

He's plugging along. Looks like he found sheltered places last couple nights to get some decent sleep.

I did not realize what a trip it is up the west coast of Central America. Something like 2500nm.

He's going to be at this a while to get stateside.

Anyone know if he has crew or is doing this leg solo?

Last night he pulled into Puerto Jimenez, Costa Rica. I looked up the place and it seems pretty nice. He must think so too, as this morning he has stayed put.

Looks to be going across Golfo Dulce to Golfito. Should be there in a couple hours.

Seems to be in tourist mode and not transit mode.

Hopefully not on a mission to find boat parts!!

His crew Micah will fly home from Costa Rica. I can't remember where or when though. He didn't mention having crew loned up from there.

Hey Richard, just saw your interview in the May 2017 issue of Power & Motoryacht magazine.... YER FAMOUS! Hope you can stop by the Puget Sound area for a few days on your dash to Alaska. There are a few of us around here would love to meet you in person.

Marty.....................

Hey Richard, just saw your interview in the May 2017 issue of Power & Motoryacht magazine.... YER FAMOUS! Hope you can stop by the Puget Sound area for a few days on your dash to Alaska. There are a few of us around here would love to meet you in person.

We got dibs on Richard in San Francisco Bay first!

Yea really nice article, PMY seems to be really covering his journey.

Does Dauntless have an AIS we can use to track the journey? There are about 15 Dauntlesses in the database.

Dash:lol:

It's more like a stroll.:dance:

I've streched out the next three seasons.
And right now, Dauntless is stuck in Golfito until I get the current original Doc:eek:
4 years, 40+ countries, 100+ ports and I managed to find the one place that place that Customs will not accept a expired original or a copy of the current.

I'm told that they got burned once, but there must be more to it. Certainly helps the marina, as the boat must be in a marina.

Luckily, I already accepted no schedule, so now, it doesn't feel that bad.

At this point, I will probably winter over in the upper Baja.

lastly, I'll have a couple posts about the hydraulic hose failure.

Thanks Guys for all the support.

Richard

Coming up the west coast, my major goals are:
To not go in adverse winds or seas
To stop where it's cheap and I know someone.
To spend at least two seasons in the Pac NW, BC and SE Ak

Dash:lol:

It's more like a stroll.:dance:

I've streched out the next three seasons.
And right now, Dauntless is stuck in Golfito until I get the current original Doc:eek:
4 years, 40+ countries, 100+ ports and I managed to find the one place that place that Customs will not accept a expired original or a copy of the current.

I'm told that they got burned once, but there must be more to it. Certainly helps the marina, as the boat must be in a marina.

Luckily, I already accepted no schedule, so now, it doesn't feel that bad.

At this point, I will probably winter over in the upper Baja.

lastly, I'll have a couple posts about the hydraulic hose failure.

Thanks Guys for all the support.

Richard

Richard,

It's always fascinating to hear updates on your cruising. Does this mean you won't be "strolling" up the West Coast this summer?

Richard

I just started to follow the Dauntless, fascinating.
How did you get across the Atlantic over and back with your fuel tanks
How big are they ? My Bayliner only has a range of 1000 nm.

Just curious about logistics

Kk42 tanks are 2 x 350 gal, 700 total Oogachaka, another KK42 crossed the pacific 2 years ago, but did use a 250gal. Bladder I believe. My boat crossed the Atlantic once already.

Coming up the west coast, my major goals are:
To not go in adverse winds or seas
To stop where it's cheap and I know someone.

Good. Then you and I will be meeting up. Have fun in the south.

If yer only gonna pick two seasons I recommend Summer and Fall....:D Seriously, great cruising all year round in the Great North Wet. Of course you won't see the sun near as much in the winter and spring and your furnace need to be working.

We will definitely have to arrange a PNW rendezvous while you are in the area, when ever that turns out to be. In the mean time we will continue to live vicariously through your postings.

Marty.......................

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom