Dauntless Fuel Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Wxx3

Dauntless Award
Vessel Name
Dauntless
Vessel Make
Kadey Krogen 42 - 148
So, the last few days have been spent making bigger inspection ports in my port fuel tank to facilitate putting a sealant in it.

In my next post (from my cell) I will post the pictures that show I had water coming in from the vent fitting. I have previously said that I had already changed the vent hose from outside to inside.

But the pictures also seem to indicate that the screw holes had rusted and rain water was getting into the tank from the top of the tank.

That also explains why when I purposely overfilled the tank by 10 gallons, I had fuel get out, though it did not happen with the stb tank (now, if you ask why I did it in the first place, the answer, as simple as it sounds, I wanted to see what would happen. I'm a scientist after all).

I will also be writing of all the work that was done this winter with before and after pictures.:D

I'm trying to post pictures but it sint doing anything once it says "100%"

Last edited:
I'm trying to post pictures but it sint doing anything once it says "100%"

ForumRunner_20160426_193855.jpg

ForumRunner_20160426_194004.jpg

All these pictures are on the side

ForumRunner_20160426_194034.jpg

Here

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20160426_193918.jpg
    ForumRunner_20160426_193918.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 99
Last edited:
Richard: Yikes! What screws are you referring to that rusted?

The screws someone used to install the vent fitting!:eek:

You can see them sticking out and I think at least one is totally rusted thru so you can see light. That's how the fuel got out of the tank when it was full.

Also unseen on the picture is another thing, possibly a screw in the top of the tank about 3 feet forward. It's either a screw or a stalactite.

And the baffles are cut out, for what purpose, to save steel?

All the more strange since everyone who has worked on the Krogen has been extremely impressed with the quality of workmanship and materials used.

Last edited:
I've ran into the same type of thing numerous times. On boats supposed to be "better" than just average. It makes you tilt your head sideways, put a hand on your hip, snarl your lip and say "WTF were they thinking?" Well I can tell you, those contracted to build it cut every corner they could when they werent being watched. At least Art was there enough to sorta keep them in line. Better than most boat companies. Your tanks dont really look all that bad to me. Personally, I would do whatever it takes to pull them out and replace, but I do understand that it would be a HUGE AND EXPENSIVE job. Maybe the next guy can do it. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
The screws someone used to install the vent fitting!:eek:

You can see them sticking out and I think at least one is totally rusted thru so you can see light. That's how the fuel got out of the tank when it was full.

Also unseen on the picture is another thing, possibly a screw in the top of the tank about 3 feet forward. It's either a screw or a stalactite.

And the baffles are cut out, for what purpose, to save steel?

All the more strange since everyone who has worked on the Krogen has been extremely impressed with the quality of workmanship and materials used.

That is strange. Our vent outlet at the tank is a welded female fitting that a brass or bronze pipe to hose adaptor screws into.

How many baffles do you have? I have three, which is one too many, IMHO. I was going to add inspection/clean out ports but gave up on that realizing that would mean 4/tank.

With the baffles cut out, I was able to get into each chamber except the one at the fill end which is also the high end. I put a camera in there and it was clean. I think the cut outs are pretty standard if for nothing else to facilitate tank cleaning. But as you know, if you've seen one Krogen, you've seen one Krogen.

Attachments

• Tank top.jpg
    Tank top.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 87
Richard,
what is your plan now?
Do you intend any rework or replacement?

best regards / med venlig hilsen
wadden

Those tanks, without baffles, have a very extreme free surface affect. Just imagine 400 gallons of fuel in them banging into a steep and close head sea. Not good. Dangerous to say the least. Think "pitch pole".

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom