Dauntless Crosses the Atlantic Again

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
7h hours without position update.. Did russian hijack the satellites???

Well after nearly 8h without position update I am worrying. Last time there was a position gap it last 2h and just requires a reboot.
Well maybe he met a marmaid and decided to go fishing :D
Anyway I hope to get some news before tomorrow.

It's very, very exciting to read this thread.....I can't imagine doing this in anything smaller than an aircraft carrier! May God watch over Dauntless.

Finally got news from Richard!

Do not know why inReach was not updating as it was indicating to update every 10 minutes. He is fine, just a rough ride for the 7th day of the trip.

Looks like our Richard like to keep us in suspense!!!

Go Richard go!

Update: 2:30 est.

Speed: 5.45 kts Heading: WSW
Elevation: -12.24 ft.
Lat: 22.666790 Lon: -33.717448

Well after nearly 8h without position update I am worrying. Last time there was a position gap it last 2h and just requires a reboot.
Well maybe he met a marmaid and decided to go fishing :D
Anyway I hope to get some news before tomorrow.

Met a marmaid?? Did You mean A: A barmaid, B: A jar of Marmite, C: Dito B but marmelade???

Elevation -12.24 feet doesn't bother the worriers? :D

Richard's Inreach should be plugged into power most of the time. On the trip to Ireland, the Inreach ran low/out of power once or twice. We would warn Richard if the Inreach was getting low on power.

If one clicks on the circle positions on the Delorme website, and open the popup to show "more", there are two columns of information. The starboard column has Heading: Batt: and Lon: For some reason the Batt: field is usually empty, meaning no text is shown at all. But every once in awhile it the field shows up. For instance on Dec. 15, 2016, at 11:52:45, the field is shows and the battery was normal.

Dauntless does very well in a following sea, she just scoots right along. Even is a beam sea she just bobs and rolls comfortably. Depending on how one handles rolls. :D The GRIB reports have been reporting 2-3 meter waves so it is interesting that Richard is seeing seas much larger than what was predicted.

Later,
Dan

e just bobs and rolls comfortably. Depending on how one handles rolls. :D The GRIB reports have been reporting 2-3 meter waves so it is interesting that Richard is seeing seas much larger than what was predicted.

Later,
Dan

Some things you can depend on in life. Fish are bigger, golf shots more spectacular, and seas much larger.

Now, is interesting that the largest wave ever recorded record increased this week to 19 meters off the coast of Ireland. Note, there have been larger reported but not recorded by buoy measurement.

Not saying Richard isn't accurate, he may be reporting the absolute largest whereas the forecasts are the largest 1/3 and then mention absolute largest, or like the trucks in one's mirror they may appear larger. Wave heights are always interesting. We talk to others on days we're out all the time and their waves were 6' while ours were 3-4'. Not like any of us have tape measures on the waves. We look at buoy reports and sometimes we're surprised.

Elevation -12.24 feet doesn't bother the worriers? :D

I don't think elevation is working fine as if you check the history of his passage he was at more than 1100 feet sometimes... Well maybe big swell :)

Just received some fresh news from Richard.
Ocean conditions are still the same and they are bouncing along.
Fortunately the Krogen takes it in stride.
He checked his fuel burn and it is lower that what he expected initially.

All good news!

Do you know if Richard has a mmsi number?

Last edited:
Yup, 367571090
But on Marine Traffic he still shows on Hierro or he turned around and got back there when I told him it is -30C here :D

The GRIB reports have been reporting 2-3 meter waves so it is interesting that Richard is seeing seas much larger than what was predicted.

Of course he's seeing some larger seas. That prediction is for 70% of the seas.
Some will be larger then that. And some will be much larger.

Thanks a lot Lou tribal, I will try to locate him with vesselfinder aswell. Here in Normandy it is more or less 10 to 12 celcius with sunshine.... Salut Cousin!:noel:

Last edited:
Thanks a lot Lou tribal, I will try to locate him with vesselfinder aswell. Here in Normandy it is more or less 10 to 12 celcius with sunshine.... Salut Cousin!:noel:

Chanceux, nous on se gele les....!

Ok folks here is the latest from Richard on dauntless as of 0900 est aka 1400 gmt.

12/16/16
Day 7
Distance 134.2mm
22 35.77
34 15.568
24 hr avg 5.6 knots @ 251 degrees
Distance travelled over the last 168 hours 933 nautical miles, avg speed 5.55
Fuel used: he wants everyone to guess. I gave him a number I thought he would arrive with when he left and was before he discovered his return line leak.
Nevertheless he'll still make Barbados with plenty of fuel remaining. Looks to be on the 27 or so if he keeps to his plan. He also might bump up the speed once he gets to the half way point. Micah and Richard have much to be proud of.

And since everyone seemed to like the chart here is his current situation.
IMG_4611.jpg

Also the ais signals are line of sight between the transmitting and receiving antennae so you will only see him if you are in his vicinity. Marine traffic and vessel finder won't have a new position until he gets close to Barbados.

Last edited:
My guess is he has burned 160gal so far.

5.5kts is nice and slow and he is getting some free pushes from surfing.

Looks like he has changed course a bit. Heading almost due W. Might be trying to get N of the larger seas, or maybe changed destination??

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom