Dauntless 2016 & 2017

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Wxx3

Dauntless Award
Vessel Name
Dauntless
Vessel Make
Kadey Krogen 42 - 148
Hi All,

I have just posted an overall cruise plan for Dauntless over the next few years.

https://dauntlessatsea.wordpress.com/

Clearly subject to change; I had already changed it significantly in the last weeks.

The big difference is to keep moving, albeit slowly, during next winter 2016-17.

Dauntless will be out of the water until March. Hopefully, all will go well and in April we will head north to Scotland and the Orkney's.

We are already looking forward to seeing new places and people.:dance:

Who knows? It's possible I may even venture into the Med:eek: Something I had vowed never to do.:whistling:

Never say Never.:facepalm:

Have any specific questions, comments, etc, please email me; not PM.

Here it is:

Where I now and where am I going?

So, it took two car rides, four trains, one bus and two airplanes to get home, having spent the last month in Ireland, Germany and England.

It’s great to have the ability to travel; it’s great to visit my wonderful, generous friends and it’s great to be home. None are mutually exclusive. Just the way I like it. I’m just an inclusive type of guy.

So, sitting here, with Squawk Box on CNBC in the background, I thought I would write about the evolution of our plans over the last few weeks.

This link is one of the Chrome tabs that open on my computer each time I am on-line.

earth :: a global map of wind, weather, and ocean conditions

I like getting a sense of the general weather patterns over the areas we will be traveling. Also, it gives a sense of how the situation changes or not, from one day to another. In this case, I’m concentrating on the western coasts of France and Spain, as well as the trade winds that will whisk us back to North America and all the way through the Panama Canal.

The long range plan has never changed; but as they say, the devil is in the details.

Before we even acquired our Krogen 42, the overall plan was:

1. First summer in New England, Nova Scotia
2. First winter back to Florida and Bahamas
3. Second summer crossing the North Atlantic
4. Wintering in northern Europe, the Netherlands.
5. Third summer in the Baltic

Pretty much as gone according to plan; Ireland replaced the Netherlands and has been the absolutely best choice.

This past summer has taken a bit more money, energy and bruises than anticipated.

This link shows the movement of Dauntless since July 2014. (Note: As you zoom in, the level of detail increases as to the actual route).

https://share.delorme.com/dauntless

As I had already mentioned: first time is nice, second time is great, third time is an anti-climax. So as wonderful Ireland is, both in the people, the country and the cost; it’s time to move on.

Attending the Krogen Rendezvous in early October, helped us decide to keep Dauntless in Europe one more extra year through 2016 and much of 2017. My recent trip to visit sailing friends, Andreas & Annette in Germany and John, Jenny & Ben in England, have further revised our thinking:

First, my original plan of getting Dauntless’ bruises fixed and back in the water ASAP, was scrapped. I came to understand that time out of the water was good and it also made the work schedule for the boat yard easier and therefore less costly for me. So Dauntless will be on the hard until March.

Assuming all is well, then in April we will start our 2016 cruising season, which right now, may not end until we get to South Korea in August 2018 at the earliest.

So right now this is what the general plan looks like:

Year Season Locations
2016 Spring Ireland, Scotland, Norway, Orkneys, Shetlands,
Summer ???, west coast France
Fall NW Spain
Winter Portugal, SW Spain
2017 Spring SE Spain? Med?
Summer TBD
Fall Canary Islands, Cape Verde Islands
Winter Lesser Antilles, Panama Canal, Costa Rica
2018 Spring When winds allow moving North along west coast to SE Alaska
Summer Cross Gulf of Alaska, Aleutian Islands, Japan, Southern coast of Korea

So that’s it in a nutshell. 20,000 nm, (36,000 km) in 29 months, 700 nm/month. That’s seemingly a lot, but there are some very long legs, with about 10-12k miles over only three months. Also the last 9 months of the trip will take us halfway around the world.

Ummm, that’s a lot. So it may happen that we will add a year in there probably in the Pac NW or British Columbia.

This allows the first 20 months, from April 2016 to November 2017, to be cruised at very comfortable pace.

So stay tuned. Mark your calendar and if you want to do more than just read about our adventures, drop me a line.

There will be a lot of miles and days that are better done with company than without.

Last edited:
Ambitious itinerary. However, we have been (vicariously) riding along with you long enough now so that we know that if you say you are going to do it, why then you are just going to do it, and that is that. :)

C'mon Richard,
You're going to have to pick up the pace.
At this rate you won't get to Australia until 2020. :D

C'mon Richard,
You're going to have to pick up the pace.
At this rate you won't get to Australia until 2020. :D

What I didn't mention that? It's in the plan, but not until 2023:dance:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom