Old 10-07-2015, 10:04 AM   #1
TF Site Team

City: League City, Tx
Vessel Model: Carver 356
Dammit. I hit something.

I'm on the final leg of what has been an absolutely perfect trip and I hit a friggin milk crate!!! Left prop is obviously bent badly as I can't get above 1000rpms without vibration. So I'm running at 900rpm on that side and 1600 on the other for a cruise speed of 7.7 knots instead of 17.7.

Does anyone see anything wrong with running that engine below the vibration threshold? We have about 7 hours to go...instead of 3...😰

And I know these Cummins engines aren't all that happy at 1000rpms. Will this one time at 7 hours hurt anything?

Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 10:16 AM   #2
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
I'd trust your feelings on that. If you can get some propulsion out of it without vibes I'd say you're OK, but a long stretch will egg-out your shaft bearings. I guess your single engine performance isn't top notch with those smallish rudders. I'd do it just the way you're thinking. Check the bearing when you pull the prop.

"I'd rather be happy than dignified".
healhustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 10:16 AM   #3
Guru

City: gulf coast
Nothing wrong with running at 900 RPM however You are probably way overloading the other engine at 1600. Why did you pick that RPM?
bayview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 10:22 AM   #4
TF Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayview View Post
Nothing wrong with running at 900 RPM however You are probably way overloading the other engine at 1600. Why did you pick that RPM?
I doubt I'm overloading. I chose it because it feels comfortable and is below the boost threshold. Temps are lower at this setting than up on plane at 2400
Old 10-07-2015, 10:30 AM   #5
OFB
Guru

City: Richmond bc
Vessel Name: Invader no1
Vessel Model: Kishi Boat works
You're fine, enjoy the slow boat. Is what it is. Just make sure that you are some what sure in what you hit and the damage
one can only hold a butt pucker for so long.

Cheers
OFB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 10:34 AM   #6
TF Site Team

No butt pucker here as long as I'm not hurting anything..��
Old 10-07-2015, 10:42 AM   #7
Guru

City: Victoria TX
Vessel Name: Bijou
Vessel Model: 2008 Island Packet steadysailer
Wow. A milk crate? I didn't even know they would float. Bummer.

If you want to share, where did you go? I'm always looking for different places to cruise on the Texas coast.
cardude01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 10:48 AM   #8
TF Site Team

They float. Just well enough to where you can't see them and they don't get pushed out of the way by your bow wave. About 2 inches under the water. The only reason I knew what it was because I saw about 10 more just like it.

We went to Port Aransas. Departed last Wednesday. An absolutely amazing trip!!!! The weather was PERFECT!!! For over a week. That never happens in Texas.
Old 10-07-2015, 10:57 AM   #9
Guru

City: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale
While running that way for 7 hours is probably not going to hurt anything, personally I would just run on the good engine only so it is not having to drag the slower engine along with it. And just use the other engine when it's time to dock the boat.

I'm surprised a plastic milk crate would do that much damage to your prop.
Capt.Bill11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 11:07 AM   #10
Guru

City: Cape May, NJ and Englewood, FL
Vessel Name: Irish Lady
I would take a quick dive on it next time you are anchored. Never know. A chunk of crate may be still hanging off a blade. Or the shaft is bent. Or the strut is bent. Or...
1984 Monk 36 Hull #46
Englewood, FL and Cape May, NJ
High Wire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 11:09 AM   #11
Guru

City: Victoria TX
Vessel Name: Bijou
Vessel Model: 2008 Island Packet steadysailer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baker View Post
They float. Just well enough to where you can't see them and they don't get pushed out of the way by your bow wave. About 2 inches under the water. The only reason I knew what it was because I saw about 10 more just like it.

We went to Port Aransas. Departed last Wednesday. An absolutely amazing trip!!!! The weather was PERFECT!!! For over a week. That never happens in Texas.

Yes, the weather has been perfect here lately.

Port A is a nice trip for us from Rockport. Sometimes we make what we call the "booze cruise" (not the captain of course&#128521 and do the loop from Cove Harbor Marina down the ICW to Port A then circle back through the Lydia Ann channel, anchor for a bit sometimes, then head back through the bay. About a 3-4 hour cruise. Sometimes we stay the night at the Port A muni marina there also.

Did you go the ICW to Port A or outside? Where were the milk crates?
cardude01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 11:14 AM   #12
TF Site Team

City: California Delta and SF Bay
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: Marshall Californian 34 LRC
When it's time to pull the prop, you might need to pull both to match the pitch. Last time I did both props, I used PropScan so the pitch settings are all recorded on the computer. Next time I need to pitch a prop, only one will need to be pulled. I noticed a marked improvement with PropScan in lower vibes and a bit more speed.

Prop Scan USA Propeller Shops: Experts in boat propellers&located across the USA: marine prop repair sales&service

Custom Google Trawler Forum Search
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 11:51 AM   #13
Guru

City: Wilmington, NC
Vessel Name: Louisa
Vessel Model: Custom Built 38
1600 should be no problem. Just check out the back and make sure no black smoke being made. If so back off enough for it to burn clean.

Also stop the boat and go check that the damaged side shaft turns easily by hand. If it is stiff, I'd probably go on one engine unless you need it to maintain heading. If you go on one engine, start engine once an hour and run in gear for a while to lube tranny guts.

Nothing wrong running damaged side engine at 900. No worries at all.

Good chance there is some milk crate still on the wheel. Feel like a swim??
Ski in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 01:11 PM   #14
TF Site Team

Well...embarrassingly I had to slow down to allow another powerboat to come around me slowly. And thanks to y'all I thought maybe if I it it in reverse whatever is in there will come out. And it did. I honestly never thought that it might be something just stuck in the wheel. We are up and running. Will still dive on it when I get some shelter. Thanks for the input. That was the only hiccup in an otherwise perfect trip!!!!
Old 10-07-2015, 01:38 PM   #15
Guru

City: Walnut Grove Ca
Vessel Name: Cary'D Away
Vessel Model: Hatteras 48 LRC
I was just about to suggest backing down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baker View Post
Well...embarrassingly I had to slow down to allow another powerboat to come around me slowly. And thanks to y'all I thought maybe if I it it in reverse whatever is in there will come out. And it did. I honestly never thought that it might be something just stuck in the wheel. We are up and running. Will still dive on it when I get some shelter. Thanks for the input. That was the only hiccup in an otherwise perfect trip!!!!
it's not likely that a plastic milk box will do any damage, more likely it would get caught in the blades and fold around them. On the west coast we have crab pots and kelp to contend with . Both can cause a lot of vibration. The kelp can usually be cleaned off by backing down , the crab pot float and poly rope not so easily.
Scary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 01:49 PM   #16
Guru

City: Inside Passage Summer/Columbia River Winter
Vessel Name: Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Model: 1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scary View Post
it's not likely that a plastic milk box will do any damage, more likely it would get caught in the blades and fold around them. On the west coast we have crab pots and kelp to contend with . Both can cause a lot of vibration. The kelp can usually be cleaned off by backing down , the crab pot float and poly rope not so easily.
Also floating logs, submerged containers, Japan stuff and on and on and on.....
Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/
Alaskan Sea-Duction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 01:55 PM   #17
Guru

City: Sidney
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baker
I honestly never thought that it might be something just stuck in the wheel. We are up and running.
Glad it ended in a really cheap fix and you can scratch another lesson from the never ending learning process.

I've had kelp, plastic and driftwood hobble outdrives. Worst was a big chunk of blue poly tow rope around a prop and shaft. Fortunately it trailed enough behind to see what it was and it was easily pulled out from the side.

Sometimes it's just a change in sound, sometimes shake like an earthquake but still startling every time.

Stop, reverse, go.
Hawgwash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 02:06 PM   #18
Guru

City: Fort Myers
Doesn't take much to cause a vibration, we hit a log over the summer and it vibrated pretty bad up at 1500, so brought it down to a 1000 and fine, hauled the boat thinking it will be easy to see and nope, looked perfectly fine, prop shop measurements showed it out, so what I'm say is you still might need to check it with a shop at the right time.
Marlinmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 03:47 PM   #19
Guru

City: Cape May, NJ and Englewood, FL
Vessel Name: Irish Lady
A few years ago a friend with twin Cat 300 hp lobster boat wrapped a 30 gal plastic trash can around one of his props. It stopped the Cat from 2100 rpm! Hauled out with no damage done. Two weeks later he hit an inground swimming pool cover with the same prop. Again it stopped the engine cold. Another haulout and again no damage or so he thought. The following year while running there was a couple of seconds of heavy vibrations then clang! The shaft sheared at the leading edge of the keyway. By-by prop! Pull the prop and use a welders dye penetrant test for cracks just to be sure.
1984 Monk 36 Hull #46
Englewood, FL and Cape May, NJ
High Wire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 04:23 PM   #20
Guru

City: Wilmington, NC
Vessel Name: Louisa
Vessel Model: Custom Built 38
I ran over a floral printed sofa cushion once. Nice pastel colors. Devil to get out of the prop.

Ski in NC is offline   Reply With Quote