Old 12-01-2017, 07:03 PM   #1
Guru

City: New Orleans
Vessel Name: Panache
Vessel Model: Viking 43 Double Cabin '76
Damage Control Plugs

I’m finally getting around to installing DC plugs at each of my through-hull fittings. The intention is to wire the appropriate size plug to each through-hull for easy access if/when an emergency arises.

Having spent years in the USN, attending multiple classes and simulators, I’ve practiced with plugs and wedges a bunch – all with steel hulls and monel/bronze/ and who knows what else as the base material. The questions that follow are all in the context of a fairly typical F/G rec boat.

Question 1 – what is the correct size for the plug versus the inner diameter of the fitting? The plugs all have a taper. So, for the sake of discussion, what’s correct for a ¾” id fitting? ½” to 1”? Is there a “rule of thumb”?

Question 2 - There are DC plugs offered in soft wood, redwood, closed cell foam, etc., etc. Is there an optimum material?

Question 3 – When employing a DC plug, do I want a 5# hammer or a rubber mallet? Or, something else? Imagine the correct answer goes back to material of the element being plugged.

It took me a while, but I finally figured out that the contents of the good old USN DC tool roll may not be the best application for a rec boat.

As always, the TF input is greatly appreciated.

sbu22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 07:54 PM   #2
Guru

City: Jacksonville
Vessel Name: SONAS
Vessel Model: Grand Alaskan 53
Frankly I am more comfortable making sure that there are bags of different plugs in strategic areas. If closing your through hull doesn't do the trick because of a busted hose, I would be worried about dealing with a hole that is not necessarily the size of the through hull.

menzies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 08:06 PM   #3
Guru

City: Florida
Vessel Model: "Ho"made
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbu22 View Post
I’m finally getting around to installing DC plugs at each of my through-hull fittings. The intention is to wire the appropriate size plug to each through-hull for easy access if/when an emergency arises.

Having spent years in the USN, attending multiple classes and simulators, I’ve practiced with plugs and wedges a bunch – all with steel hulls and monel/bronze/ and who knows what else as the base material. The questions that follow are all in the context of a fairly typical F/G rec boat.

Question 1 – what is the correct size for the plug versus the inner diameter of the fitting? The plugs all have a taper. So, for the sake of discussion, what’s correct for a ¾” id fitting? ½” to 1”? Is there a “rule of thumb”?

Question 2 - There are DC plugs offered in soft wood, redwood, closed cell foam, etc., etc. Is there an optimum material?

Question 3 – When employing a DC plug, do I want a 5# hammer or a rubber mallet? Or, something else? Imagine the correct answer goes back to material of the element being plugged.

It took me a while, but I finally figured out that the contents of the good old USN DC tool roll may not be the best application for a rec boat.

As always, the TF input is greatly appreciated.
Soft wood tapered plug, piece of pool noodle, rags, nerf football etc. Any of these at the ready near through hull will work. Mallet or a scared mans fist..
Old 12-01-2017, 08:13 PM   #4
OFB
Guru

City: Richmond bc
Vessel Name: Invader no1
Vessel Model: Kishi Boat works
Pencil, screw driver, wooden spoon, chop stick etc wrapped with a towel, rag, wash rag, pounded into the hole.

Worked, works for me.

Just saying.
OFB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 08:22 PM   #5
Guru

City: hawaii
Vessel Name: #31
Vessel Model: ex-Navy MUB 50 fish/cruise
An old t shirt and a screwdriver to push it in may be a more intuitive approach.
What if the hose breaks off ragged, and the clamps are frozen or underwater and inaccessible?
I keep a bucket in the ER with some various rubber balls and a couple golf balls, some rags, tie wire and pliers and a hammer and a screwdriver. There is a couple of tapered wood plugs too, but I wonder how much collateral damage might occur if they had to be driven in smartly.
Old 12-01-2017, 08:25 PM   #6
Guru

City: Powell River, BC
Vessel Name: Northern Spy
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 26
You might be overthinking this a bit, as friction fit tapered plugs in heat exchangers are good up to 200psi and 400F by ASME PCC-2.

That said, I too have fond memories of wet trainers, DC kits and band-it clamps. So...

I have a smaller version of a DC bag with different sizes and material (wood & micarta) plugs and wedges. A chain wrench, a Nerf football, a couple of different types of Belzona (1111 & 2311), electricians self fusing tape, and some polyurethane resin repair tape.

The reality, is I will not likely ever need them. My quickest fix in the Navy was with a pencil, and once at a mill with a wood chip. I'm not giving details of either. 😀

Edit: I still have one of those cool lifeboat clamshell clamp repair dealies that I'm sure no one in the history of the Navy has used successfully.
Northern Spy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 10:32 AM   #7
Guru

Actually, Spy, with a night to sleep on it, probably over thinking a lot.

Good ideas here - appreciate it!

The clamshell clamp thing remains a mystery - I always thought they existed to supply a reservoir of "lead pipe" questions for qualified checkouts.
Old 12-02-2017, 10:34 AM   #8
Guru

That would be "qual" checkout.
Old 12-02-2017, 03:43 PM   #9

City: Washington
Replacing the hoses might be a good idea if they are older than a few years. Ind I would make sure the seacocks work.

I would be more concerned with a hole in the hull and of course you don't know how big or what shape that hole will be. You also don't know if you can get to it without endangering yourself by getting stuck somewhere with rising water.
aboatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 03:47 PM   #10
Guru

City: Cape Cod, MA
Vessel Name: Island Seeker
Vessel Model: Willard 36 Sedan
Who, besides me, has a collision mat aboard?
Brooksie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 04:08 PM   #11
Guru

City: Adelaide
Vessel Name: Kokanee
Vessel Model: Cuddles 30 Pilot House Motor Sailer
No collision mat, but I keep a heavy tarp that will wrap around the bow, some 1/8" & 1/4" plywood sections, lots of pillows and various length of wood to hold them in place.

Most of the high risk collision points are sealed chambers in the bow (filled with ballast), or water tanks on the side.
AusCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 04:14 PM   #12
Guru

City: Florida
Vessel Model: "Ho"made
Quote:
Originally Posted by AusCan View Post
No collision mat, but I keep a heavy tarp that will wrap around the bow, some 1/8" & 1/4" plywood sections, lots of pillows and various length of wood to hold them in place.

Most of the high risk collision points are sealed chambers in the bow (filled with ballast), or water tanks on the side.
Your setup IS a collission mat.
Old 12-02-2017, 04:15 PM   #13
Guru

Here's a great article where they tested various methods of patching up breaches to the hull.

http://www.admiralyacht.com/wp-conte...at-sinking.pdf
Old 12-02-2017, 04:32 PM   #14
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor of Fortune View Post
Your setup IS a collission mat.
Yes - I'm surprised that more pleasure boats aren't designed this way. The cost at the time of construction is minimal. You only lose a bit of storage space under the vee berth. There is an inspection hatch to check for a breach or to adjust the amount of powdered ballast. The big built in fibreglass water tanks along each side cost nothing other than a bit of planning at the design stage.
Old 12-02-2017, 04:34 PM   #15
Guru

Forespar offers conical foam rubber plugs that fit most through-hulls. No need for different sizes. No need for hammer - just push and twist into the hole. While I never needed to use one, we did keep a couple on board.
Chrisjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 05:05 PM   #16
Guru

City: Aventura FL
Vessel Name: Kinja
Vessel Model: American Tug 34 #116
Maybe some of that "as seen on TV" slap on water proof tape?? Hmmmm, who's going over the side to apply it.
Seriously, after Irma, there was a good size boat that rubbed its bow against the concrete wall, a number of times. Before moving the boat, the owner/crew artfully applied a number of layers of that 'slap on tape', prior to moving it to the yard. I guess it worked.
Old 12-02-2017, 05:24 PM   #17
Guru

City: Powell River, BC
Vessel Name: Northern Spy
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 26
Most municipal public works couldn't function without polyurethane tape or Robar clamps. The water would stop running.

Northern Spy is offline   Reply With Quote