Old 05-05-2012, 01:46 PM   #1
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Dad's boat

This is the boat my father had built in Maine using Airex foam sandwich construction. It was over built as most of dad's things were. It was " Free at Last" when dad owned her but was renamed "Islander" by her 2nd owner ..... a friend of dad's. The 4th owner just bought her after a VERY extensive re-fit. Islander has her original 6-71 Detroit Diesel engine in perfect condition. She had a fly bridge originally but was recently removed. The most noticeable part of her recent re-fit was not her engine rebuild but her conversion from a lobster trawler yacht to a serious fishing boat. I guess dad knew he'd be needing a tough boat as he got stuck on a rock in Mitchell Bay (Admiralty Is) so many times that the rock became known as "Henning's Rock" in the vicinity. Islander was always a great boat and I wish her the best in fishing and the best in care.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	varwwwclientsclient1web2tmpphpBXsgs4.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	62.5 KB
ID:	11202  

Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 02:40 PM   #2
TF Site Team

City: JAX, FL
Vessel Name: Hobo
Vessel Model: Krogen 42-120
Eric: She looks like a beauty. How old is she and what is the hull shape? Are those paravanes I see?

Larry M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 03:21 PM   #3
Guru

Larry,
She was built in the early to mid 80s. She is a skeg built lobster style hull. Much like Carey's boat ....very much if Carey's is not a built down hull. She has a very easy entry and soft chines. She was built in Maine by a small yard that usually built lobster boats. Dad would be on the phone every day during the construction tell'in them to make her more this or that .....usually heavier and more skookum as dad was fond of say'in. Paravanes yes. She's got all the bells and whistles of a propper troller right down to the Forfjord anchor. Islander is beamy and stable.
Old 05-05-2012, 04:54 PM   #4
Guru

City: Missourah
Vessel Name: M/V Scout
Vessel Model: Sundowner Tug 30'
You already know what I think...

Deliveries & Yacht Services
www.captainchip.com
Anode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 06:03 PM   #5
TF Site Team

City: Home Port: Buck's Harbor, Maine
Vessel Name: "Emily Anne"
Vessel Model: 2001 Island Gypsy 32 Europa (Hull #146)
Can you remember which Yard built her? The argument as to which is better, "built down" or "skeg built" still goes on among the locals here.
dwhatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 08:29 PM   #6
Guru

dwhatty,
No and I may have spoke too soon. Now that I think more on it I'm not sure it was a skeg build. I ca'nt remember it out of the water. But if they ca'nt agree on which is better What's the difference. Could be the skeg type is best for higher speeds and built down for more efficiency at slower speeds. Lobster types are so rare out west we do'nt even have any old wife tales about them. I do'nt remember seeing any narrow lobster boats recently and the contemporary boats have huge engines in them and wide beams. As I recall the old boats from about the early 50s had gas flat head six's of 100hp (about). They must have been about 8' wide. Are there any left? Or were they always wide.
Old 05-05-2012, 09:12 PM   #7
Guru

Lovely real proper boat!
I think flybridges are overrated, I rarely use mine.
Is that a dry exhaust,does that indicate keel cooling? And what looks like a cylindrical tank on the coach-house,what is that for? BruceK
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 09:15 PM   #8
Guru

City: Miami Florida
Vessel Name: Possum
Vessel Model: Ellis 28
I know you like those reel type anchor windlass, but to my eye that thing really screws up the lines of what is a really pretty boat.
HopCar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 10:56 PM   #9
Guru

BruceK,
As far as I know a dry stack has nothing to do w keel cooling. Keel cooled boats probably pump engine coolant through the exhaust manifold but I really do'nt know.
I'll ask Brad about the tank....I do'nt know. It's seems too big for a day tank for the diesel stove. I can't imagine it as a day tank for the engine thinking of the high CG.

Speaking of high CGs fly bridges are great for larger craft or perhaps a cat. If we had a bigger boat I could imagine myself having a beer in a quiet anchorage in the summer up on the FB. If flying bridges were unknown and a friend came up w the idea I'd probably tell him it's a ridiculous idea to put all that weight up there. But would you?

HopCar,
Most boats in Alaska have them so it's the norm up here but you're right it looks out of place like it should be on a piece of logging equipment. But if painted high gloss white w some tasteful trim......but no it's not very yachty looking. But I'd rather have the white winch than a forrest of bow rails. Also the winch could be polished till it looked like chrome and clear coated. Or if it were smaller........naw...you're right.
Old 05-06-2012, 12:49 AM   #10
Guru

On the subject of Fly Bridges, you can see my little Yankee boat has one. I also have a station below but I almost always run the boat from the bridge no matter the weather. Of course my little boat hasn't seen ice or snow since her sea trial. That would drive me below.
Maybe that thing on Islander's cabin top is a life raft?
Old 05-06-2012, 12:55 AM   #11
Guru

City: Everett, WA
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 38'
Boy, she reminds me of my buddies Jarvis Newman....
Max Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 01:11 AM   #12
Guru

Islander does look a bit like a Jarvis Newman. It was a Jarvis Newman 36 that caused me to fall in love with Yankee boats. Islander's bow is quite different than a Newman but the shear line is just as pretty.
Old 05-06-2012, 01:32 AM   #13
Guru

City: Calgary
Vessel Name: Blue Sky
Vessel Model: Nordic Tugs 42 Hull #001
Quote:
Originally Posted by HopCar View Post
Islander does look a bit like a Jarvis Newman. It was a Jarvis Newman 36 that caused me to fall in love with Yankee boats. Islander's bow is quite different than a Newman but the shear line is just as pretty.
And I took it to be an Ellis. Beautiful lines.
Conrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 03:35 AM   #14
Guru

I thought you were talking about Islander. You're right my boat is an Ellis 28. Good eye.
Old 05-06-2012, 10:50 AM   #15
Guru

One of the things I think is unusual about Islander is her hollow raked or somewhat clipper'ed bow/stem. Most lobster boats are straight or slightly convex.

HopCar,
Got any pics of your hull? Your boat looks considerably larger in the avatar. At least give us a thumbnail of your avatar so we can see it big.
Old 05-06-2012, 11:22 AM   #16
Guru

City: Salvador - BA
Vessel Name: Rainha Jannota
Vessel Model: Curruira 46
Send a message via MSN to Portuguese
Gents

I think that Flybridges are overrated in most of the Northern part of the Globe, as much as not having one, is overrated in most of the Tropics. Yeah! if you only have 2-3 months of summer a year, it will be a lot of money spent for little time. Yet, if you have 9 months summer time, as we do in the southern hemisphere, then you need a Flybridge.
I have had long hours of discussion with my boat designer about the subject. Believe it or not, on a 46’ Trawler, a flybridge represents 18% of the total cost of the boat, as it does on mine! But with high humidity levels, and constant temperatures in the middle 90’s, a covered Fly is always welcome. Or, be ready to fill your boat with expensive AC units, which require constant work from Genny!

These are my 2 Cents on the subject

By the way I got diverted here. Beautiful boat Many!!!

Cheers!

Portuguese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 12:56 PM   #17

City: Everett, WA
Vessel Name: Paloma
Vessel Model: Bayliner 4588
I don't see a dry stack exhaust, only the vent for a diesel or wood heater/stove.

On the anchor drum. Those are very strong systems, designed for long, all chain rodes. One of the advantages beyond their ability to pull a lot of weight is the chain, along with everything that it brings up is not in the boat but on the deck. Keeps the smells down associated with chain lockers. I like the looks of them actually. Especially on trawlers.
Papa Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 03:03 PM   #18
Guru

Portuguese,
Interesting......your slant on FBs seems only to do w money. I never even thought of that even though I have little money. To me the downside to a FB is mostly weight and windage.....in that order. And in hot weather I'd want to be in a pilothouse/wheelhouse w AC ......not up in the hot sun. Of course the ideal boat would'nt have any house at all in/on it so it's kind of a line in the sand thing. But I'd go for the house (in moderation) and nix on the FB. It's just too far from ideal boat design. I wonder what your designer would think of that. With yachts though wants that are the bottom line. I go crazy in a small boat when everyone sits on the same side but few seem to care at all.

OK I see there is enough interest to downsize and post more pics. Yes she has a wet exhaust. Notice in the stern shot that the helmsman can see well all around from the aft helm.
The drum/reel winches actually do'nt have that much capacity until they are quite large. And yes ... keeping the rode out of the V birth area is one of the main reasons we have a rode box on deck that takes the whole rode. Most of my rode is 5/8ths nylon Brait and it can fit in a much smaller space than 3 strand.......except on a reel winch. I think the winch would look much better if it visually blended in better w the rest of the boat. Fishermen probably view it's presence on their boat as being confirmed as a member of a select group ...........and they are. The Forfjord anchor and the drum winch admits them to the club....so to speak. The other pic is of my rode box on deck on Willy. I always tie the end of the rode to the port mooring cleat. Notice my Claw anchor is just barely visible even from above. You can see right behind the winch drum the shackle that joins the 1/2" chain to the 5/16ths chain.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	varwwwclientsclient1web2tmpphpIJncT1.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	145.8 KB
ID:	11212   Click image for larger version

Name:	varwwwclientsclient1web2tmpphpNCJt5B.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	141.8 KB
ID:	11215  
Old 05-06-2012, 03:31 PM   #19
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by manyboats View Post
... But I'd rather have the white winch than a forrest of bow rails. ...
Me? I'd rather have the security of bow rails.

Have no use for a flying bridge. Don't need the additional windage, for one. With five opening windows and two doors in the pilothouse as well as five opening windows and a door in the saloon, I usually have good ventilation. If that's not enough, turn on the fans.

Old 05-06-2012, 03:48 PM   #20
Guru

Manyboats, Here are a couple of pictures of my Ellis. I think she looks a little top heavy. Tell my wife I need to step up to a 32' boat so it won't look so top heavy. She's got a deep entry, soft chines and is very flat aft, the boat, not my wife. The keel extends under the prop and supports the rudder. Now that I look at it, I should take that Danforth off the pulpit.
I wonder what all of you Northern boaters think of tuna towers. What a view!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	_MG_4316.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	93.6 KB
ID:	11213   Click image for larger version

Name:	_MG_4312.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	102.5 KB
ID:	11214