Old 05-06-2012, 04:04 PM   #21
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Yes HopCar,
When you're in the pilothouse having to look through that fat Danforth would not be the best. But some people put their fenders out there.... can't relate to that. Sounds like a good typical lobsterboat.
The Ellis may look top heavy but only the windage is for sure. Very light FBs can be made that do'nt raise the CG much but seldom are they seen. I think Steppin (TF member) has such a FB. One can be made out of aluminum tube and fittings along w canvas covering. Some are very attractive.
Thank's for the pics Hop. Been think'in of ask'in you for a long time.

Nomad Willy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 04:11 PM   #22
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by manyboats View Post
... The Ellis may look top heavy but only the windage is for sure. Very light FBs can be made that do'nt raise the CG much but seldom are they seen. ...
Wouldn't the weight of several humans in the FB in such a small boat have a significant effect on CG? If Hopcar's boat has room for four adults, there could be 800 pounds of bone and flesh up there.

Old 05-06-2012, 04:32 PM   #23
TF Site Team

City: Home Port: Buck's Harbor, Maine
Vessel Name: "Emily Anne"
Vessel Model: 2001 Island Gypsy 32 Europa (Hull #146)
Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
Wouldn't the weight of several humans in the FB in such a small boat have a significant effect on CG? If Hopcar's boat has room for four adults, there could be 800 pounds of bone and flesh up there.
Windage aside, we had 6 adults on our flybridge for awhile in short period 3' - 4' +/- beam seas two years ago. Didn't seem to make any difference whether all were on the flybridge or only two. Wouldn't want to do that in much higher/steeper waves though.
dwhatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 04:33 PM   #24
Guru

City: Miami Florida
Vessel Name: Possum
Vessel Model: Ellis 28
Manyboats, How about a bigger picture of your fine looking boat?
The CG doesn't seem to be a problem on my boat. I think the heavy six cylinder Cummins mounted low has something to do with that. Yes I often have four adults on the bridge. It doesn't seem to be a problem. If the weather gets bad, my passengers will usually go below and leave me in peace to enjoy it on the bridge. I'm sure the windage knocks a knot or two off my top end. I think the Bimini top is probably a bigger windage problem than the fly bridge itself. I love the fly bridge for it's visibility. There are so many places I'd be afraid to go if I couldn't see the bottom. I love watching the porpoises playing in the wake. One time a little sea turtle decided to race us. We watched him swimming ahead of us for a good five minutes before he turned off and disappeared. We wouldn't have seen any of this from inside the house.
HopCar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 04:56 PM   #25
Master and Commander

It's nice that unobstructed views can be obtained by taking a step out of the pilothouse with controls still in reach.

Old 05-06-2012, 05:05 PM   #26
Master and Commander

When I disregarded this boat's wake, taking it on the beam, the Coot rolled at least 20 degrees (surely it felt like more), back and forth, one side to the other. The experience would have been worse seven feet higher on a FB.

Old 05-07-2012, 04:04 AM   #27
Guru

A plus of steering from the flybridge is good vision of pretty much every extremity of the boat. Good for entering a Marina,but puts you out of position to help tie up. Cruising, I`d rather be near the engines.
The best advantage is that in summer, a flybridge is a great cool place for a drink and relax at anchor.Especially if a boat has a small cockpit.
Quite a number, but not all, flybridge boats in northern Australia are built without a steering station at the lower level. BruceK
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 02:01 AM   #28
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
This is the boat owned by the man (Brad) that own's the GB and did own the Islander. Brad did the re-fit on Islander and she sold fast.

The reason for this post is to show you the boat Brad's going to spend the money on that he got from Islander. She's ferro-cement and getting a new John Deere like Marks Coot and a lot of premo fishing gear. When he was saying he was going to sell one of the boats I was hoping I could buy this boat. And at that time I was'nt planing to leave Alaska. Now that I am the ferro-cement boat would cost too much in moorage. Never liked short boats until now and I just happen to have a short boat. Anyway I love this boat and wanted to share.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	varwwwclientsclient1web2tmpphp8StXe0.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	167.3 KB
ID:	11254  

Nomad Willy is online now   Reply With Quote