Old 08-26-2016, 08:53 AM   #1
Veteran Member

City: chattanooga tn
fuel tank leak

I am under contract on a 1988 californian 45ft. the boat has some other issues-all of which i can accept. The survey revealed dried fuel under all three tanks. No fuel smell in the engine room. On the sea trial two of the tanks were empty and the third was almost empty. Apparently the Californian boats have had tank issues. Should i insist on another sea trial with fuel in all of the tanks, have them inspected or move on to another boat. The owner is not forth coming about anything and has deferred a lot of maintenance.
obenton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 08:59 AM   #2
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in the Great Lakes
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
A sea trial is for testing all systems to their capacity to identify problems. All tanks (fuel, water, and waste [with water]) should be full. That's how you determine if there are leaks or issues.

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 09:34 AM   #3

City: Baltimore Md
Vessel Name: Graceful
Vessel Model: Marine Trader
In the middle of having my leaky fuel tanks replaced. 10K - keep that in mind.
gonesailing13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 10:01 AM   #4
Guru

City: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by obenton View Post
I am under contract on a 1988 californian 45ft. the boat has some other issues-all of which i can accept. The survey revealed dried fuel under all three tanks. No fuel smell in the engine room. On the sea trial two of the tanks were empty and the third was almost empty. Apparently the Californian boats have had tank issues. Should i insist on another sea trial with fuel in all of the tanks, have them inspected or move on to another boat. The owner is not forth coming about anything and has deferred a lot of maintenance.
Have the fuel tanks pressure tested. If the owner will not allow you to do that then tell him to knock $10,000 off the price.

If he does neither, move on to the next boat.
Capt.Bill11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 10:10 AM   #5
FOG
Guru

City: Wilmington, NC
Vessel Name: DreamQuest
Vessel Model: Prairie 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.Bill11 View Post
Have the fuel tanks pressure tested. If the owner will not allow you to do that then tell him to knock $10,000 off the price.

If he does neither, move on to the next boat.
Great advice. I had a fuel tank fail a month after I had purchased my Prairie 36 earlier this year. It cost $7,000 to replace.
FOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 11:04 AM   #6
Guru

City: gulf coast
depending on how difficult the tanks are to get out $30K is a better estimate for three tanks buried under salon floor and outside the engines. A real quote from someone willing and able to do the job is necessary.
bayview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 11:37 AM   #7
TF Site Team

City: Jacksonville
Quote:
Originally Posted by bayview View Post
depending on how difficult the tanks are to get out $30K is a better estimate for three tanks buried under salon floor and outside the engines. A real quote from someone willing and able to do the job is necessary.
I agree. We are looking at replacing the tanks on Hobo. Tanks are outboard of the engine and $30k is in the ballpark. $10k will just cover the fabrication costs for us. Add the removal/installation costs if a yard is doing the work and the total can jump pretty quick. If you're serious about the boat, as Bayview suggests, I'd get a yard estimate.
Larry M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 09:37 PM   #8
Veteran Member

City: chattanooga tn
thanks to all. I suspected as much. I have cancelled the contract and found the same model closer to home.
obenton is offline   Reply With Quote