Custom folding bed with storage for Mainship 34 salon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Faith-Full

Vessel Name
Faith-Full
Vessel Make
1984 Mainship 34 Mklll
We own a 1984 Mainship 34. Looking to build a custom couch/double bed in salon with 8 inch high base with storage drawers underneath. Would use custom foam. We have approx 6 feet of length, 33 inches depth for base to keep engine hatch clear and 37 inches height. Anyone with plans to build or any experience with this? Thanks

Last edited:
I'm familiar with the one in later model yr MS.
We removed ours and replaced it w/ 2 recliners.

The opriginal was supplied to MS by Gioia Sails in NJ.
Donnie is a good guy (bought some canvas supplies from him)
Might be worth a call to see if he still has any pics or plans.

Attachments

• 1014491.JPG
    1014491.JPG
    49.8 KB · Views: 60
I notice you are fairly new to TF.
Welcome aboard.
If you are looking for other MS parts the TF Library and my Bacchus website has links to a Bill of Materials and some but not all part photos like the one I attached.

Look for "zero clearance couch" for RV's,, many manufacturers bring the price down , usually under a boat buck, depending on cover material.

Faith-Full
If you want this to convert to a dbl bed I doubt you will get much storage.
If you are interested in building one and Gioia doesn't have photos... I could probably sketch up and send what I recall from the MS factory one...
The bottom was a flat drawer that houses a thinner mattress than the sofa seat cushions.
When extended you simply swap the thicker cushions to the pull out and the mattress to the sofa seat area and the top is flush. You could use 2 different foam thicknesses... doesn't have to be a mattress.
The above doesn't leave any /much room for storage.
I did keep some chart & chart books there but not much else.

We had a 1981 34’ Mainship and had a custom length hide-a-bed ordered from Camping World. Sorry I don’t remember the manufacturer. It had a full length drawer underneath where we stored linens. It didn’t affect hatch access. I do remember it was a pia to get in through the rear sliding doors though.

Will have to check it out! Thanks to all of you for the TF posts, happy New Year from the Sunshine Coast, Powell River, BC

My guess is the couch will be used as a bed on special occasions , most times it will be a sitting spot.

To be comfortable springs, rather than a slab of plywood & foam , is needed to sit for long periods.

Sure in a dinette a simple cushion will be fine for a meal duration , but the couch may be in big demand during 3 days of rain..with a good book.

Back
Top Bottom