Old 02-06-2019, 07:26 PM   #1

City: Eastsound
Vessel Name: Audrey Grace
Vessel Model: 2003 Camano 31
Current PNW cold snap - interior water line protection?

I am debating whether it's better to keep low-level heat going in the boat to keep water lines from freezing (via the small low-watt fan/heater and now a small space heater on low watts/low setting), or just drain the interior water lines completely. My boat in the water at the slip, and we do use the boat year-round. I'm not terribly excited about a space heater running unattended, but I do have eyes on the boat via a camera, and it shuts off during daylight hours.
Space heater does run straight for about 12 hours (750 watts) at night. Probably best and safest to drain the water completely... I know. How many of you are in a similar situation and running a space heater but not living aboard?
jhance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 07:42 PM   #2
Veteran Member

City: Olympia, WA.
Vessel Name: Sea Witch
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 42 #47
I’m using one of those oil filled electric units on low. I keep it in the shower below deck. If it does short it’s basically in a fiberglass container. I check it every day.
JC53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 08:02 PM   #3
Guru

City: Bellingham WA
Vessel Name: Hatt Trick
Vessel Model: 45' Hatteras Convertible
Draining the potable water lines would be good in this frigid NE wind; better would be blowing them out with compressed air or pumping potable antifreeze through them. Another concern is the raw water side of your engines' cooling system. Some heat in the engine room would be good for that.
Old 02-06-2019, 08:13 PM   #4
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in the Great Lakes
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
As already mentioned, oil filled heaters are a good choice. If you're primarily concerned with plumbing in the engine room, an engine block heater is very safe and radiates heat well.

Something to remember, it takes very little heat to keep an in water boat above freezing. A standard 60 watt incandescent light bulb will keep a bathroom above freezing if you open the door under the sink and close the door to the bathroom. Also, a 60 watt bulb under the galley sink will keep the plumbing from freezing.

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 08:13 PM   #5

City: La Conner, WA
Vessel Name: Carousel
Vessel Model: Bayliner 4788 (1998)
I have two in-wall style electric heaters that I imagine are running most nights right now. I can't wait to see the electric bill after this cold snap. I guess I'm not too concerned about a fire issue. UL has a tendency to be pretty strong on that issue.
NWSeadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 08:20 PM   #6
Guru

City: Sea of Cortez, Mexico
Vessel Name: Irene
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 40II
I have been running 2 small heaters (1000w and 750w), both on a thermostat. They have been keeping things dry and warmed to about 50-55 throughout the boat.

Last night, I fired up the hydronic system set to 50 in 3 zones. I want the heat from the lines to keep their respective spaces warm, as the water lines are nearby. The boiler is in the lazarette with lots of stuff I don’t want frozen, such as the water maker and water heater, and it will keep that space warm. I will also be checking things more frequently during the cold snap.
Old 02-06-2019, 08:26 PM   #7
Guru

City: Sharon, Ma
Vessel Name: Slow Lane
Vessel Model: 2005 Silverton 35 Motoryacht
Jhance: I have the same boat as you (as you know). I'm running a oil filled space heater 24/7 on my Camano in the engine room but I'm also a full time liveaboard so I'm constantly keeping an eye on things. IMHO don't use ceramic space heaters. Oil filled space heaters are the safest and have a more linear wattage draw. No "kicking" on and off. Just a steady draw.

One important thing that I learned this winter from being a full timer in Boston is that keeping the salon warm is just as important as the engine room. Obviously heat rises, but keeping the salon warm is VERY important for winter storage (or living). Lots of the heat from the salon in the Camano will make it's way down to the ER. I understand that you're only asking about boat storage but I still think my liveaboard knowledge may be relevant.

How cold are we talking? And for how long? You may be worrying over nothing....Another good Camano tip is to keep the lower galley cabinets and lower head cabinets OPEN. It's good to get more salon heat in there.

I would also also suggest buying a Mr Buddy propane heater. Can be a lifesaver.

2005 Silverton 35 Motoryacht
South of Heaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 08:30 PM   #8
Guru

City: LaConner
Vessel Model: 34' CHB
I have a small elec heater on low that keeps the boat around 42F. I also have a warm air box next to the engine. Went down today and power must have been off on the dock for a while as it was about 34F inside. This is probably shaping up to be one of the coldest and snowiest February's ever. More on the way!
78puget-trawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 09:02 PM   #9
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
I have a dehumidifier/heater probably on the order of 200w keeps the lazerette and the two 50gal water tanks from freezing. The sheer volume of the tanks helps a lot.
In the engine compartment I’ve got a long “golden rod” about 3’ long. It’s a bit hotter than most being hard to hold onto. 300w.
Fwd in the head I’ve got two goldenrods about 18” and about 22” long. One on the left side of the Raritan head and the other onthe right. Probably 300w.

So I think I’ve got the whole boat covered w less than 1kw on 24/7 though.
Nothing on the boat is winterized.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 09:31 PM   #10

City: Bellingham, WA
Vessel Name: Excellent Adventure
Vessel Model: 1995 Jefferson Ker Shine 45
I have my hydronic heat set at 50. I also have wolverine heaters on each main.

Unfortunately my ice make is on the enclosed but not heated back deck. Got one of those phone calls you never want to get. Water running off the boat and a pump running full time. Turned out one of the plastic feed lines in the ice maker froze and then got warm enough to thaw and drained the water tank. Today I was able to refill the water tank and locate the leak and check system. Tomorrows goal is to repair the broken line.

Note to self: next time it is going to drop to 17 degrees, drain the lines outside or put a heater out there.
wwestman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 09:41 PM   #11
TF Site Team

City: Saltspring Island
Vessel Name: Retreat
Vessel Model: C&L 44
The lowest temp prediction I can see for my boat (Vancouver harbour) is -7°C, 19.4°F. Vancouver has seen lower temps over extended cold snaps in the 33 winters I have had a boat in the water here. My successful regime consists of:
1-leave the water heater turned on - in the ER so provides warmth to the whole of the ER including engines.
2-leave the charge on - also in the ER
3- in the forecabin, heater on its lowest setting
4-in the aft cabin, heater on its lowest setting
I have seen ice on the water around my boat once or twice, but never thick ice.
I have never had any signs of freezing inside the boat.
My hydro bill will be above $50 (Cdn, so $30 US) per month for the winter.
Old 02-06-2019, 09:55 PM   #12

City: Eastsound
Vessel Name: Audrey Grace
Vessel Model: 2003 Camano 31
Jason -

I am running a 0.65A heater/fan in the engine room and another in the galley with the head door open a crack and cabinet doors open. I needed to upgrade that program, though, when I found an icicle hanging from the galley faucet. It probably didn't help that, although I thought I had closed it, the galley roof vent was open, and that was allowing cold air in. Corrected that, moved the 0.65A heater to head, and small space heater in the galley. Also plugged engine room vents.

Low temps forecast to be 20F, maybe a little lower, with a 25 knot sustained NE wind. Cold for our standards, and that wind sucks the heat out of everything. Of course the worry is that if the power goes out, I am either draining the lines or on the boat running the Webasto! I just haven't studied the draining procedure... I assume there is a fitting in the engine room at a low point that I can disconnect.
jhance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 10:12 PM   #13

City: Bainbridge Island
Vessel Name: Mahalo
Vessel Model: 2018 Hampton Endurance 658
Also if you can close off your ER vents that is quite helpful.
Old 02-07-2019, 12:33 AM   #14
Guru

City: Between Oregon and Alaska
Vessel Name: Charlie Harper
Vessel Model: Wheeler Shipyard 83'
It depends on the water temp more than air temp. I liveaboard, so my boat doesn't get as cold. But I don't heat the engine room unless working there and it's well insulated from the rest of the boat. The coldest I ever measured in the bilge or other unheated space was 34°F. That was one winter in Nanaimo, BC. Night temps were about 0°F. During that time I spent some time away and during that time the dock experienced some power problems and the power had been off for 2 days. In the main cabin it was still 40°F when I returned. Sea water temp was around 50-55°F.
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 12:38 AM   #15
Guru

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: AZZURRA
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 54
I leave on the electric boiler and the circulation pump for the hydronic system while i’m Gone. This keeps heat in all parts of the boat.
tiltrider1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 11:05 AM   #16
Guru

City: Holladay, UT
Vessel Name: Dream Catcher
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 37-065
In Poulsbo, our boat has two Caframo electric heaters going, and a fairly large dehumidifier. Several cabinet doors and hatches open for circulation, and the engine room vents blocked. Large fuel and water tanks full.

No problems in the last two winters, but this cold snap has me hoping my cockpit shower (which I haven't yet figured how to drain completely) survives OK.
"Cruising in a Big Way"
RCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 11:11 AM   #17

City: Bellingham, WA
Vessel Name: Excellent Adventure
Vessel Model: 1995 Jefferson Ker Shine 45
Oh damn, had not even thought about the cockpit shower. We never use it but I am sure it has water. I guess I will find out when the thaw comes.
wwestman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 11:51 AM   #18

City: Annapolis, MD
Vessel Name: Think Big
Vessel Model: Camano Troll 2003
On my Camano, I shut off the water input to the HW heater and drained it most of the way which also drained the higher HW lines after opening their faucets. My CW is all still on except I did try to drain the lines to the cockpit. We'll see if I failed but last year I did fine. I have an extreme heater in the engine room and a ceramic on the galley floor pointed at the open head with open cabinet door. I sit in ice a few days each winter. Got to believe your water temps in PNW are much better.
MiltonP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 12:38 PM   #19
Guru

City: Duvall, Wa. USA
Vessel Name: Beach Music II
Vessel Model: 2003 Mainship 430 Trawler
During the first cold winter in Seattle with our Camano I learned two lessons. Drain the cockpit shower. I didn't and the freezing water pushed the handheld nozzle off. That was the only damage. Drain the raw water anchor washdown. The filter cracked, but the seacock was closed so no danger of sinking. I kept three air dryers going and had no other problems.
porman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 01:16 PM   #20
Guru

City: Bellingham WA
Vessel Name: Hatt Trick
Vessel Model: 45' Hatteras Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCook View Post
In Poulsbo, our boat has two Caframo electric heaters going, and a fairly large dehumidifier. Several cabinet doors and hatches open for circulation, and the engine room vents blocked. Large fuel and water tanks full.

No problems in the last two winters, but this cold snap has me hoping my cockpit shower (which I haven't yet figured how to drain completely) survives OK.
Richard, are you in the water at Poulsbo or hauled out?