Crunch Crunch

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
... Even if your thruster never fails, knowing how your boat responds without it is vital. ...

My thruster had been broken for several months, and got by. Suppose that was for practice. How many twin-engine boaters operate for several months with only one working engine? :D

Last edited:
Got twins; no thruster.

How often do folks chew up thruster propellers? Probably not often or you'd find strainers across the ports.

Never damaged a thruster prop. Stuff floating on the surface is not an issue, the thruster is well below the surface. Likewise the thruster is well clear of the bottom of the river/bay/ocean.

I suppose a really powerful thruster mounted high, too close to the surface, could create a whirlpool and suck in junk that is floating.

My thruster had been broken for several months, and got by. Suppose that was for practice. How many twin-engine boaters operate for several months with only one working engine? :D

I have admitted that I have done so for 2 complete cruising seasons, so yes, docking a twin on one engine is a skill that can be learned quickly. It all starts with the prop-walk. Once you have made it your friend, you can avoid situations where it will fight with you and learn quickly to dock and leave successfully.

Similarly, a single with a non-functional thruster is just old school. Go slow and watch what happens. Make the prop-walk in reverse a friend and you can go any where you like.

... I have admitted that I have done so (with only one of the twin engines operating?) for 2 complete cruising seasons, so yes, docking a twin on one engine is a skill that can be learned quickly. ...

I salute you! So much for duplication/back-up.

Last edited:
Prop speed, running occasionally, and diver regularly checking and cleaning when they clean the rest of the hull. If you don't feel the need for a diver for the hull, I would still have one (or dive yourself in your case) dive periodically to check all through hulls, shafts, props, thruster, etc. I'd also double check for any stray electricity flow you might be experiencing on your own boat. If from other boats, not a lot you can do. Overall those blades looked bad and didn't get that way overnight. When was the last time they were checked?

I was brought up on single screw boats. Never had a thruster. No problem once you get the single screw's dance steps understood. Have only had twins in boats of my own. Dance steps with twins are a waltz. Never had a thruster with twins either.

Difference in the "docking" dance as compared to a single or twins = back in parking a heavy motorcycle compared to a golf cart.

Last edited:
I was brought up on single screw boats. Never had a thruster. No problem once you get the single screw's dance steps understood. Have only had twins in boats of my own. Dance steps with twins are a waltz. Never had a thruster with twins either.

Difference in the "docking" dance as compared to a single or twins = back in parking a heavy motorcycle compared to a golf cart.

If you want an advantage over a single with thruster compared to two primaries, add both stern and bow thrusters. That's how cruise ships have dealt with it.

Click on the picture.

Last edited:
Prop speed, running occasionally, and diver regularly checking and cleaning when they clean the rest of the hull. If you don't feel the need for a diver for the hull, I would still have one (or dive yourself in your case) dive periodically to check all through hulls, shafts, props, thruster, etc. I'd also double check for any stray electricity flow you might be experiencing on your own boat. If from other boats, not a lot you can do. Overall those blades looked bad and didn't get that way overnight. When was the last time they were checked?

You can install an isolating transformer to protect against stray current from other boats. But for the OP, I believe he said his blades were nonconductive.

Attachments

• IMG_1856.jpg
    IMG_1856.jpg
    119.1 KB · Views: 57

Not going to use Prop speed on this boat again. Only the engine propeller stayed clean. Not enough water movement to keep the growth off the other metal parts. Barnacle barrier is doing a much better job. Hull was clean in beginning of December and now only has a slime coating. Boat is in a very low salinity marina basin. So I was quite surprised to see the barnacles. The plan was to swap thruster blades and clean the tunnel before going to Fort Pierce. As my thruster has 2 props, it's near impossible to clean the back sides of each. Nice thing about plastic thruster props is that you just soak them in a modest solution of muriatic acid and the calcium based marine growths dissolve away. No issues with stray currents as all the zincs are doing fine.

Ted

For those purists who who are maybe a little derisive of thruster users: Would you disable the power steering pumps on your car to practice? Not use your cars air conditioner? Special order a car without power windows because they might fail? Keep your remote key fob in the spare parts locker just for emergencies? Use bias ply tires? We drove a lot of miles without these tools. The world is safer and more comfortable with them, and "because we've always done it that way" is not a good reason to resist change.

For those purists who who are maybe a little derisive of thruster users: Would you disable the power steering pumps on your car to practice? Not use your cars air conditioner? Special order a car without power windows because they might fail? Keep your remote key fob in the spare parts locker just for emergencies? Use bias ply tires? We drove a lot of miles without these tools. The world is safer and more comfortable with them, and "because we've always done it that way" is not a good reason to resist change.

I have no problem with all sorts of new "stuff" for making marine life more pleasant as well as easier to deal with. I simply don't bother to get "stuff" that I don't need or desire. That said... having spent my young decades aboard single screw boats, I can well see that thrusters on both bow and stern would be useful. And, if I ever purchase a single screw vessel I'd like to have a bow thruster... maybe both; now that they are readily available - compared to 1950's / 60's. However, with twins I feel no need for either!

Yes. Factory ordered my truck with hand crank windows, manual door locks, and a manual transmission for less problems. But then I likely keep my vehicles longer than you. This truck is almost 15 years old with 429,000 miles.

As to the reliability of electic bow thrusters, they aren't! It's not a question of if you will have problems but when and which part. Not saying bow thrusters aren't nice to have, but it's like AC in your car, it's only a matter of time before it quits.

Ted

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom