Cruising speeds

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

My most common cruising speed is: (You may select more than one)

• Below 7 knots

Votes: 26 26.5%
  • 7 to 9 knots

Votes: 61 62.2%
  • 9 to 11 knots

Votes: 7 7.1%
  • 12 to 14 knots

Votes: 5 5.1%
  • 14 to 17 knots

Votes: 3 3.1%
  • 17 to 20 knots

Votes: 5 5.1%
  • 20 to 25 knots

Votes: 6 6.1%
  • Over 25 knots

Votes: 4 4.1%

• Total voters

BandB

Guru
Just thought a poll would be interesting based on the responses in the thread on this subject.

You may select multiple answers if you cruise regularly at two different speeds or for multiple boats.

Last edited:
Redundant methinks...

7 knots, 1900 rpm's, 2 GPH, Volvo 200, 9500 lbs...

(poll was not up when I responded to this)

Last edited:
Yes, redundant, but meant simply to supplement the existing thread by capturing the numbers. Not meant to start an additional discussion as the existing thread is great.

Yes, redundant, but meant simply to supplement the existing thread by capturing the numbers. Not meant to start an additional discussion as the existing thread is great.

No worries...Now that the Poll is up it makes more sense...

7.7kts if time is cheap and fuel expensive.

18-20 if fuel is cheap and time expensive.

Hull speed cruising is around 10.5kts at 1000-1050 rpm's

Planing speed cruising is around 22.5kts at 1750 rpm's (that's 80% throttle)

7 knots @ 1800 rpm-15000 lbs

8 kts at 1200 rpm. 52' LWL/57'LOA, 65000k lbs

bump

just under 9 kn, 1750 rpm, 22 lph total, 60,000 lbs half load

I would prefer 10 kn or more but need longer & lighter boat to get it at the kind of fuel consumption I like

Last edited:
That's weird. When I looked at the poll percentages just now, the total was over 120%.

Ted

That's weird. When I looked at the poll percentages just now, the total was over 120%.

Ted

Poll heading notes that you can select more than one speed. I guess some with planing hulls have done so.

Poll heading notes that you can select more than one speed. I guess some with planing hulls have done so.

Yes, in the other thread quite a few people were giving two cruising speeds, so the poll was set up to allow that.

Good poll! Thanks

Last edited:
I'm surprised that 14 to 17 knots only has one. That's often a sweet spot for mid size full planning hulls... such as ours.
--- shows there are few TFers with boats such as ours yet to chime in --- must be some on board TF???

16 to 17 knots is my preferred nmph (most economical [around 1 nmpg] and good handling speed) while stepped-up on plane.

I also checked in on the first speed of below 7 knots. At 7.58 calced hull speed from 6 to 6.5 knots for our 34' loa Tolly is best (easiest going, more economical [around 2 nmpg], little wake) with both screws turning.

If we are in a real easy-daze mood I sometimes shut one engine down and drop to 4.5 to 5 knots for a whopping near 3 nmpg... but we sure take tide and current conditions into effect while cruising that slow.

If I did that speed in Hells Gate NY heading toward the Hudson... in most season instances I'd be going backwards at a knot or two toward the old "Acid Waters" area off shore. - That's a whole other story from mid 20th Century!

Last edited:

Yes, or two boats. In our case we have a 36' boat that cruises at about 8 knots and a 45' boat that cruises at about 35 knots.

Yes, or two boats. In our case we have a 36' boat that cruises at about 8 knots and a 45' boat that cruises at about 35 knots.

OK, Marin. Now we're getting some where... Why not cough up a pict and description?! :D

He's teasing us Art.

This boat has been a long time in comming.

OK, Marin. Now we're getting some where... Why not cough up a pict and description?! :D

Sorry, Art. We've had this boat for awhile now but we own it with a partner who wants no publicity about it. I described a few basic things about it to a couple of people here via PM some time ago and he was not happy about it. So it's fast and uses a lot of fuel and that's about it.

Last edited:
Here's a 4 year average. I measure anchor to anchor, dock to dock or when we're fishing so there are some slow speeds added in there. The paravanes are out about 80% of the time which costs us about 3/4 of knot penalty. Hobo (FD) displaces ~44k lbs. and has a single FL SP 135. 1706 engine hours took us 10,725 nautical miles at an average speed of 6.3 knots.

edit: engine is turning about 1650 to 1750 rpms.

Last edited:
Sorry, Art. We've had this boat for awhile now but we own it with a partner who wants no publicity about it. I described a few basic things about it to a couple of people here via PM some time ago and he was not happy about it. So it's fast and uses a lot of fuel and that's about it.

Oakee Dokee!!

Your dog mention it to him? :ermm:

1100 rpms/8kts, 1800 rpms /15 kts, twin 6-71 TI's ;45,000lbs

I think it's a PT boat.

Come on guys, please. Respect Marin's right to privacy on the subject.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom