Old 07-01-2021, 11:28 AM   #1
TF Site Team

City: MX, thru Canal to Bahamas
Vessel Name: Muirgen
Vessel Model: 50' Beebe Passagemaker
Deck storage ideas

Hi all, on our new to us boat, we do not have a lazarette, so I am looking for ideas for on deck storage for lines, etc. The PO had installed a large Iglo cooler on the aft deck that he used, but that space will be taken up with a small chest freezer.

I am looking at two boxes similar to:https://www.westmarine.com/buy/west-...SABEgIyVvD_BwE
But frankly the price seems pretty ridiculous. Considering two boxes on the fore deck, permanently fastened down, with down side drain hole(s).

Questions: Do people recommend a tight seal on the lid, or a loose seal to allow some air transfer? I DO like the fact that the inside of the box is gelcoated, not a rough chopper gun texture.
Anyone have any sources of supply that will not require taking out a loan to purchase from West Marine?
Anyone have suggestions for a similar type for box, or even an off the wall suggestion for storage?

Thanks in advance for any (helpful) suggestions!
Attached Thumbnails
Ext. Back Deck.jpg   Ext. bow.jpg  
Old 07-01-2021, 12:12 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
Unfortunately that is about what a good dock box costs. We put one on the bow of our last boat. It didn’t cost quite that much but it also wasn’t as nice inside with the smooth finish.
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2021, 12:38 PM   #3
Guru

City: Owings, Md
Vessel Name: Graceland
Vessel Model: Mainship 34 MK1
A used/retired commercial ice box would work well on the stern if you could find a used one. The plastic type that can be handled by forklifts are pretty durable but eventually, they can get damaged and not hold ice as well but it would still suit your purpose.
Gdavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2021, 02:20 PM   #4
Veteran Member

City: Richmond VA
Vessel Name: Mad Hatter
Vessel Model: Hatteras 43' DC
I've got a Hatteras 43DC, which came with two dock boxes forward on the bow (I think that's the standard for older Hatts). I highly suggest them as we don't have a lazarette either, and it really helps with storage of extra fenders, lines, and covers. They are pricey- I was looking at the exact mine you linked earlier for our enclosed rear deck, but 100% worth it for the extra space.

Pic included- ignore Baron Uther von Einfang looking disgruntled that he's in a harness with a lanyard.
Attached Thumbnails
PXL_20210628_134355516.jpg  
Gris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2021, 05:25 PM   #5
Guru

City: Qualicum Beach, Vancouver Island
Vessel Name: Capricorn
Vessel Model: Mariner 30 - Sedan Cruiser 1969
I added two Coleman 80 quart coolers, much like the link below. They are much more robust than the usual Coleman coolers, you can sit on them, drink holders, and stainless steel hinges.

They did slide around on the deck a bit so I bought the same material used in drawers and the like to prevent sliding of items and this has worked well. I cut to length for the coolers and they haven't budged.

By the way, the unit below is in Canadian dollars, I'm sure you can get them cheaper in the States:

https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/c...-0854245p.html
rsn48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2021, 06:33 PM   #6
TF Site Team

I also found these on Amazon. The major thing I don't like about them is the locking mechanism. Not that I plan on actually LOCKING them, but a small beaner or such through the latch would be nice to prevent them from blowing open, or opening if hit by just the right sea . . . .

They are half the price of the fiberglass ones, and come in white. It appears that they are not water tight as well, so they will drain if wet objects are put in them. Made of HDPE. May be just a tad larger than I want though.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08P25JMXV...v_ov_lig_dp_it

Gris, I like the look of your boxes. Any sourcing info? The Baron looks bored with the situation, and disgusted with the harness!

rsn, thanks for the link, but I want something a little larger than 3' long. Also, the drains are only on one end, so if both lids opened midships, one of the drains will be "uphill". Of course, I could always install another drain . . .
Old 07-02-2021, 06:23 AM   #7
Guru

You can often find used dock boxes at marine consignment shops.
jleonard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2021, 07:08 AM   #8
TF Site Team

City: Jacksonville
Quote:
Originally Posted by jleonard View Post
You can often find used dock boxes at marine consignment shops.
There or Craig’s List. We took an old beat up one painted the outside and rolled on some gelcoat on the interior. If I had to do it again, I would have used an expoxy paint on the interior since uv isn’t an issue. The gelcoat was a pia.

It looked brand new when we got done if you didn’t look too closely.
Attached Thumbnails
900A8685-A926-4B27-86C5-7D78286AE35F.jpg   72742E27-1A60-4DE2-8253-5CCFFB2AC5B7.jpg  
Larry M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2021, 09:34 AM   #9
Guru

City: Stratford, CT
Vessel Name: Blue Moon
Vessel Model: Mainship Pilot 355
I had good luck with https://www.dockboxes.com/ after receiving and returning 2 damaged boxes from Amazon
Old 07-02-2021, 02:22 PM   #10
Veteran Member

City: Richmond VA
Vessel Name: Mad Hatter
Vessel Model: Hatteras 43' DC
Unfortunately, the only information I have about the deck boxes on the Hatt is that they were a standard option during the production years of my boat (1983 in my case). You might be able to find them through Sam's Marine, if you give them a call. They have a LOT of original production Hatteras parts. They are solid as a rock, and we often use them as makeshift seats when hosting at the dock.
Gris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2021, 02:26 PM   #11
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
I have two suggestions. The first is to live with the boat for a while before you spent money and time to find a solution for a problem that you don't yet fully understand. You may still decide on a deck box, but may have a better idea as to your needs and use.

Second suggestion would be to consider just hanging dock lines on some SS hooks on the forward wall of your cockpit. The PO of our boat had done that and it is incredibly easy and convenient.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2021, 02:51 PM   #12
Veteran Member

City: Venice, Fl.
Vessel Name: Charis
Vessel Model: Custom 42' Pilothouse Trawler
Check Walmart, they have it for $125 less than amazon. https://www.walmart.com/ip/Lifetime-...mpaign_id=9383
A330NRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2021, 04:27 PM   #13
Guru

I agree that if you haven't lived with the boat for long, it's a good suggestion to give it a little time, your wants and needs may change. I've found that you mostly get what you pay for with dock boxes. You can get a cheap plastic one, or a quality fiberglass one with hefty SS hardware. I had a bad experience with Amazon. The product was great and a good price, but they weren't experienced in shipping them and received one that was cracked during shipment, returned it and second one was also damaged. That's when I went to dockboxes.com and got a quality box at a good price and delivered strapped to a pallet with no damage. You can also go to your local West Marine, but pay $200-300 more for a similar product.
Old 07-02-2021, 04:46 PM   #14
Guru

City: Tacoma, WA & Ashland, OR
Vessel Name: boatless, ex: Seeadler
Vessel Model: RAWSON 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowgoesit View Post
I also found these on Amazon.

They are half the price of the fiberglass ones, and come in white.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08P25JMXV...v_ov_lig_dp_it

There is a large variety of these "garden boxes" out there in a range of qualities, but the one in your Amazon ad is well made. I have the same thing in two-tone brown in my cockpit. It is rain-tight, has a pneumatic hold-open strut and provision for a small padlock. You may be able to assesss one in person at your local Home Depot.

Mine contains my six-man raft valise, bail-out bag, waterjugs, epirbs, and eight lifejackets on top.
Attached Images

AlaskaProf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2021, 05:58 AM   #15
Guru

I like the convenient rope cutter ring at the bottom!
Old 07-03-2021, 08:14 AM   #16
TF Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhays View Post
I have two suggestions. The first is to live with the boat for a while before you spent money and time to find a solution for a problem that you don't yet fully understand. You may still decide on a deck box, but may have a better idea as to your needs and use.

Second suggestion would be to consider just hanging dock lines on some SS hooks on the forward wall of your cockpit. The PO of our boat had done that and it is incredibly easy and convenient.
Quote:
Originally Posted by backinblue View Post
I agree that if you haven't lived with the boat for long, it's a good suggestion to give it a little time, your wants and needs may change.

We do plan on using the boat for awhile before we make some changes. Some things we've already decided to do, like replacing the soft bimini with hard so we can mount solar panels. Also, we will be losing the one cooler "deck box" when we put in the chest freezer, so we need a solution to that fairly soon. Assuming there is room above the chest freezer, we've also considered putting a bar across with hooks for mooring lines as well. Just getting ideas for now so we have options to choose from once we get on the boat!

Thanks so much for all the input.
Old 07-03-2021, 08:27 AM   #17
Guru

City: Gig Harbor, WA
Vessel Name: MoonShadow
Vessel Model: Wendon Skylounge 72'
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowgoesit View Post
Considering two boxes on the fore deck, permanently fastened down, with down side drain hole(s).
I think I would be reluctant to put most of the suggested cheaper dock boxes on the foredeck. I think you should consider the possibility of taking blue water over the bow at some point (depending of course on your cruising plans).
~A
AlanT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2021, 08:38 AM   #18
Guru

Most times, not always, you get what you pay for. Some of the cheaper plastic boxes I've see look cheap, especially after a little while in the sun and weather.
Old 07-04-2021, 07:21 AM   #19
TF Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanT View Post
I think I would be reluctant to put most of the suggested cheaper dock boxes on the foredeck. I think you should consider the possibility of taking blue water over the bow at some point (depending of course on your cruising plans).
~A

Good point. I'm a firm believer in "Hope for the Best, but Expect the Worst!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by backinblue View Post
Most times, not always, you get what you pay for. Some of the cheaper plastic boxes I've see look cheap, especially after a little while in the sun and weather.

Another good point. We'll see what we come up with when we actually get on the boat to cruise!
Old 07-05-2021, 03:20 PM   #20

City: Hamilton
Vessel Name: Moon Dragon
Vessel Model: 1989 IG32
We purchased a Leo profile deck box Taylor Made. Mounted on the aft section of the fly bridge. Added two teak 1x2s to keep it off the deck.
Leo Reise is offline   Reply With Quote