Cruising Northern BC,bears & guns

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Big grizzlies up the head of Toba. Occasionally some make it to Powell River area. Wolf shot on Texada last week.

Honestly, cougars scare me more. Buggers hunt you.

Heard a reporter ask a Sasquatch hunter why, after searching for decades in the wilderness and never seeing one, why does he keep looking? He said, "I've never seen a cougar either". Good point...

Grizzly bears actually are’nt big. AlaskaCoastal Brown Bears are. In fact they are twice as big. 600lbs is a big Griz. 1200lbs is a big ACBB. The Grizzly will go to 700lbs and some Brown bears go way over 1200lbs.

While you’re cruising in Alaska most of the bears you encounter will be Brown Bears. There are over 3000 Brown Bears on one Island in SE.

Grizzly Bears on Vancouver Is.?
Of course. Bears swim.

Last edited:
Eric, I believe the 3,000 brown bears are on Admiralty Island, but there are no black bears there. And Prince of Wales island to the south has all black bears and no browns. It would be interesting to know how this evolved. According to an ADF&G officer we talked to at Craig on POW, the black bears there are considerably bigger than normal because of no brown bear pressure.

Eric, I believe the 3,000 brown bears are on Admiralty Island, but there are no black bears there. And Prince of Wales island to the south has all black bears and no browns. It would be interesting to know how this evolved. According to an ADF&G officer we talked to at Craig on POW, the black bears there are considerably bigger than normal because of no brown bear pressure.

Yes to all the above. There’s lots more bears there than people. My father had a house in Angoon and spend as much time there as he could.
And on The Queen Charolette Islands when I lived there in the 70’s there were very few bears .. black. But now there are lots of black bears there. In the QCI (in the 70’s) there was an unbelievably large numbers of deer. Now not so much. All these coastal islands evolve fast to populations of wildlife. In the seven years we lived on Prince of Wales Island there were plenty of black bears despite the fact that quite a few cubs get shot as target practice by hunters .. from outside. I didn’t notice that they were extra big. If I had a fight w one I prolly would change my mind.

Last edited:
If I would arm myself in defense of bears, I'd avoid the standard U.S. military 22-caliber military round (a cartridge designed to kill dog-sized varmints.) I'd elect the nineteenth-century 45-70 military cartridge with a wide, heavy bullet in a repeating rifle.

That work ... if it didn’t misfire.
I remember them as about 7’ long too and may be slow on the “draw”.
And then the first (and probably the last) shot would have me flat on my ass.
Then the bear can work on figuring out how to shoot it .... while I make tracks.

If I would arm myself in defense of bears, I'd avoid the standard U.S. military 22-caliber military round (a cartridge designed to kill dog-sized varmints.) I'd elect the nineteenth-century 45-70 military cartridge with a wide, heavy bullet in a repeating rifle.

There are several lever action rifles chambered in 45-70 that are marketed just for that purpose.

Protect your right to arm bears!

Attachments

• 8A316982-B792-4225-B751-E314C5F36385.jpeg
    8A316982-B792-4225-B751-E314C5F36385.jpeg
    173.7 KB · Views: 65
As long as someone mentioned cougars:

Two couples we know were walking their dogs on the beach at Blunden Harbor. The two men and one women were walking a small dog together and one women walking a medium size dog had fallen a little behind them. The women with the larger dog heard a noise behind her, turned around and a cougar was bounding off into the trees with her dog, who was already dead. They never saw the dog again. If you see a memorial to "Scooner" on the beach up there, that's what happened.

A lady was mauled up pretty bad by a cougar on a beach my wife and I camped at on Vancouver Island’s north east shore. She was hunkered down at the waters edge looking at things in the water, so probably looked small enough to attack in the cougars mind.

All I’ve seen is footprints and old kill sites.

A lady was mauled up pretty bad by a cougar on a beach my wife and I camped at on Vancouver Island’s north east shore. She was hunkered down at the waters edge looking at things in the water, so probably looked small enough to attack in the cougars mind.

All I’ve seen is footprints and old kill sites.

Kwatsi Bay June 19, 2015. I took the dog to shore an hour and a half earlier right past where that cougar stands. It looked like a cardboard cutout, standing there.

IMG_0898.jpg

Bump...

We took a drive up the Nass Valley yesterday with our cameras and found this black bear munching on grass beside the road. We stopped a respectful distance away (about 100') and the bear didn't even lift it's head to look at us.

Several cars came by and slowed down to see the bear, stopping closer than we were, but it would move slowly to the edge of the forest and wait for the cars to leave and then start feeding again.

The bear grazed to within about 80' of us and was totally relaxed with our presence. It was only later while loading my photos did I notice the full of milk breast behind her right foreleg. She must have had her cubs tucked away in a safe place nearby in the forest.

Attachments

• Momma Black Bear, Nass.jpg
    Momma Black Bear, Nass.jpg
    146.2 KB · Views: 52
Bump...

We took a drive up the Nass Valley yesterday with our cameras and found this black bear munching on grass beside the road. We stopped a respectful distance away (about 100') and the bear didn't even lift it's head to look at us.

Several cars came by and slowed down to see the bear, stopping closer than we were, but it would move slowly to the edge of the forest and wait for the cars to leave and then start feeding again.

The bear grazed to within about 80' of us and was totally relaxed with our presence. It was only later while loading my photos did I notice the full of milk breast behind her right foreleg. She must have had her cubs tucked away in a safe place nearby in the forest.

Murray,
That bear dosn’t look good. Was he wet?
I thought the Nass Drainage was full of brown bears. Seems odd ther’ed be a black up there.

Russell Clifton and MurrayM, can put a year on those cougar attacks?

Pretty sure the one I heard about was 1993, the year after we had sea kayaked through the area.

Murray,
That bear dosn’t look good. Was he wet?
I thought the Nass Drainage was full of brown bears. Seems odd ther’ed be a black up there.

Her eyelids were swollen by fly bites, so she looked pretty haggard, is that what you noticed?

We saw three black bears that day, but no grizzlies. I talked to a fellow last week who had seen grizzlies eating spring shoots in avalanche paths higher on the valley sides.

The Blunden Harbour cougar attack was about 2014. The people were from “Nightfall”, a beautifully designed William Garden trawler, since sold. We met them (2015) as they were placing a plaque on the beach.

I think maybe Nomad Willy is seeing molt. You think?

Quote:
Originally Posted by soin2la View Post
I think maybe Nomad Willy is seeing molt. You think?

Quote by Murray;
“You’re probably right...she’s not looking too sleek.”

Me;
Yea her coat looked wet and “mottled” .... zat the right word?

Tried to double quote.
HaHa obviously don’t know how.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom