Cruising Northern BC,bears & guns

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Attacks coming in multiple stages as psneeld points out is the most important thing to be taken away from this whole thread.

Here's my take, which isn't an expert opinion, just what I've cobbled together through experience and being omnivorous in gleaning details from other sources.

Every bear has a radius of personal space where they don't feel threatened. This varies with time of year, food availability, position in local bear society, cubs, health, and age among other reasons. There is also a difference between a wild bear and one 'spoiled' by learning that humans can be a source of food like garbage near homes or camp.

Bears get to do the choosing of where that personal boundary is, like the bear which sat down near the fellow at Brooks Falls. The video would have ended very differently had the dude strolled over to a bear and sat down beside it, or if Rusty's bear viewing guide had beached their dinghy and strolled up to the mother with cubs.

The reason I make noise in the bush is so that the bear hears me coming in enough time to make some calculated decisions, like:

Can I move away in time?
Can I get my cubs away in a relaxed, controlled manner?

If the bear decides it can't do those things, I want it to come out to the edge of it's safety boundary and challenge me. Like the mother that treed its cubs and then treed the forestry tech and I (because we weren't making noise and she didn't have time to scoot them out of there) she had her cubs safe and she was in control of the situation.

If it's a grizzly on a moose kill, I want it to come crashing through the bush and then stop on its boundary line and challenge me. I don't want to get so close that it thinks I'm trying to muscle in on its kill, like the hikers 20 miles out of Ketchikan probably did.

I never want to get close enough for the coughing, roaring, snapping jaws, foaming at the mouth displays, or even the stiff forelegs 'Tough Guy' walk. That's a failure even as the situation starts.

Last edited:
Mrwesson,
Bear mace/spray I’ve heard could likely kill a person. Not hard to believe considering it’s formulated to immobilize a 1200lb bear almost entirely covered w thick hair.

For home defense I don't have a problem with that.

My current method is probably more likely to kill a person.

Ummm, before you scoot up the tree, make sure the cubs are not up the same tree.
If the cubs are above you in the same tree, mama wont leave until either you or the cubs leave the tree. LOL

Been up their a couple times on my boat and once with a RV. On the RV trip I took a shotgun with me but never removed it from the locker. Did walk with bear spray. My dogs will usually alert me if something is not right.

On the boat trips I carry bear spray with me and I will put some small rocks in a empty soda can which I can shake to make some sound. I usually will need to take the dogs for a walk twice a day but rarely will get off the beach. Like I say the dogs will let me know when there is a bear in the area, they did last summer and they did on the RV trip.

A lot of people figure dogs are bear protection. Problem is the dog is the one who brings the bear to you. Dogs don't make much noise and subsequently get very close to bears. The bear chases the dog and the dog runs to what it considers safety...you.

I've been hunting and fishing in Canada my whole life. Bears have never been a problem and by the way the only thing a shotgun is going to do is piss a bear off.

Don't try to be quiet in the bush and you won't even see them. If you're away from camp a battery powered radio playing in the tent works great.

Whatever you do, don't try to get closer for pictures. That's a regular mistake made by tourists.

Living in a high rise in downtown Vancouver doesn't count. Sorry! :socool:

But living On an acreage in the Kootenays does count. So does several years working in Fort Nelson where the bears learned to open the doors of unlocked pickup trucks to check for uneaten lunches.

I have seen the damage done by a grizzly on the door to the cook shack left in the bush country of norther Alberta. The logging company could not get the shack out before the frost left the ground. They never made that mistake again.

But living On an acreage in the Kootenays does count. So does several years working in Fort Nelson where the bears learned to open the doors of unlocked pickup trucks to check for uneaten lunches.
I know, I was just pushing your leg a bit.

...So does several years working in Fort Nelson where the bears learned to open the doors of unlocked pickup trucks to check for uneaten lunches.

Oh ya? Kitimat bears can open the door to Subway and order a foot long Italian salami on 9 grain :D

Oh ya? Kitimat bears can open the door to Subway and order a foot long Italian salami on 9 grain :D

'This video is not available to your country.'

I guess 'they' do not wish to discourage tourists?

I love this thread! Now we’re arguing over who has the smartest bears.

Attachments

• 3A3C0FE9-BE01-466E-99B8-C867F5002D53.jpeg
    3A3C0FE9-BE01-466E-99B8-C867F5002D53.jpeg
    67.2 KB · Views: 65
They don’t mind junk food. I’ve seen a the result of bears opening up a stainless steel soft ice cream machine. The shredded it for a lick of sweetness

No large brown bear or grizzly herds in the Kootenays. It is a whole different story once into Northern BC and AK near the spawning and bear mating areas.

The biggest fallacy, is thinking that you can ever predict what a wild animal will do, based on what seems logical to you for them to do. :D

We walk lots of logging roads w/o issue. Carry a small air horn.

Instead of picking up a dry branch and whacking trees and rocks, this is what I've been using for the last year. Made from old fibreglass tent poles with metal tips and sounds pretty close to a snapping branch. The dry branches kept breaking.

Attachments

• Bear animal cracker stick.jpg
    Bear animal cracker stick.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 62
Last edited:
Parachute jump? Could be, parachute only mandatory if you
want to jump more than once.

Parachute jump? Could be, parachute only mandatory if you want to jump more than once.
It`s slang,more about singles meeting up in a bar and getting lucky.....than jumping out of airplanes.

No large brown bear or grizzly herds in the Kootenays. It is a whole different story once into Northern BC and AK near the spawning and bear mating areas.

SC - You're going to have to check your facts. Plenty of grizzlies in the Kootenays.
I've had them in my back yard on many occasions in Nelson and Creston.

I double checked just to make sure.
The highest density area for grizzlies in BC is the Flathead region (southeast corner of BC). The only place you don't find them is Vancouver Island, much of the west coast, the Okanagan Valley, and Lower Mainland.

Here's a report on grizzly populations in BC. See page 5 for a density map.

http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/fw/wildlife/docs/Grizzly_Bear_Pop_Est_Report_Final_2012.pdf

We saw a Grizzly make a 2 Kilometre crossing of Gardner Canal, and it's back was out of the water at the other side.

Apparently, Polar Bears and Grizzlies are so close genetically that the mothers can be 'back bred' with their sons, as opposed to horses and donkeys which have infertile mules. Something about only being separated during the last glaciation period. As things warm up in the Arctic, Grolar Bears are popping up.

That was hard for me to wrap my head around, until pondering 4' Congo jungle peoples having kids with 6' Viking descendants.

Big grizzlies up the head of Toba. Occasionally some make it to Powell River area. Wolf shot on Texada last week.

Honestly, cougars scare me more. Buggers hunt you.

Mules

Fertility
Mules and hinnies have 63 chromosomes, a mixture of the horse's 64 and the donkey's 62. The different structure and number usually prevents the chromosomes from pairing up properly and creating successful embryos, rendering most mules infertile.

There are no recorded cases of fertile mule stallions. A few mare mules have produced offspring when mated with a purebred horse or donkey.[18][19] Herodotus gives an account of such an event as an ill omen of Xerxes' invasion of Greece in 480 BC: "There happened also a portent of another kind while he was still at Sardis,—a mule brought forth young and gave birth to a mule" (Herodotus The Histories 7:57), and a mule's giving birth was a frequently recorded portent in antiquity, although scientific writers also doubted whether the thing was really possible (see e.g. Aristotle, Historia animalium, 6.24; Varro, De re rustica, 2.1.28).

As of October 2002, there had been only 60 documented cases of mules birthing foals since 1527.[19] In China in 2001, a mare mule produced a filly.[20] In Morocco in early 2002 and Colorado in 2007, mare mules produced colts.[19][21][22] Blood and hair samples from the Colorado birth verified that the mother was indeed a mule and the foal was indeed her offspring.[22]

A 1939 article in the Journal of Heredity describes two offspring of a fertile mare mule named "Old Bec", which was owned at the time by the A&M College of Texas (now Texas A&M University) in the late 1920s. One of the foals was a female, sired by a jack. Unlike its mother, it was sterile. The other, sired by a five-gaited Saddlebred stallion, exhibited no characteristics of any donkey. That horse, a stallion, was bred to several mares, which gave birth to live foals that showed no characteristics of the donkey.[23]

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom