Cruising blogs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jwnall

Moderator Emeritus
Vessel Name
Morgan
Vessel Make
Gulfstar 36
Being kind of bored on a Sunday afternoon, when the weather here cannot quite decide what to do (cold? hot? rain? snow? hurricane?), I figured that reading a good cruising blog might be fun to pass the time, along with a decent glass of Merlot. So did a bit of research, and figured that I would share the results just in case someone else might be interested. Cannot vouch for any of them. And of course they are slanted toward sailboats, which is only natural. Anyway, here they are.

Indigo Moon: Indigo Moon - Mile Markers

Adamo: The Adamo Adventure

Uliad: Welcome to Uliad.net

Around the world on SLAPDASH

Retire Onto A Sailboat

Prudence - Cruising with Prudence

Hobo Sailor - Hobo Sailor: February 2007

Sailing Vessel Nereida - Welcome to my journeys

www.takingpaws.com

To keep it OT, I'll check out your blogs, but Andy, I have to say...I love your boat!!! Damn! That's great looking!

OD

Thank you Sir :thumb:
It's our pride-&-joy, and our home now. I thank God every day for the opportunity to be her caretaker for the next few years. :)

:thumb:Awesome!

ok, back to the blogs...I love reading these. It allows me to live vicariously among the rich and famous....and the boaters too:D

There are trawler blogs out there as well. I like to read them.

The problem I have with "blogs" is that they read backwards. That is to say, the latest day is at the beginning of the blog and the first day is at the end.

So - to read about a trip in order, you have to scroll down to the first entry, read down the page, then scroll up to the next entry, read down the page, and so on.

Our blog started out as a cruising blog on our sailboat, but once we reached the Florida keys we slipped over to the dark side. Now for the last two years it has been more of a "buy an old trawler and refit it" blog. We had hoped to take off again in April, but that is not to be. If only I could find a winning lottery ticket to finish the refit.

I have looked for trawler blogs. People who actually travel far and wide on their trawlers like people do on sailboats, but have not found any. I don't mean 50 to 100 feet Nordhavens (no offense to NH owners). I talking 25 to 50 feet trawlers that everyday people can afford. Lots of people travel the islands and central America on $10k sailboats. Where are those on $30 to $60k trawlers? If anyone has a link to a blog like this please post it. We did not loose our vision of traveling when we came over to the dark side, just got put into the financial penalty box for upgrading to a much larger boat. Our penalty time is two thirds over and then the real fun will begin.

Our blog started out as a cruising blog on our sailboat, but once we reached the Florida keys we slipped over to the dark side. Now for the last two years it has been more of a "buy an old trawler and refit it" blog. We had hoped to take off again in April, but that is not to be. If only I could find a winning lottery ticket to finish the refit.

I have looked for trawler blogs. People who actually travel far and wide on their trawlers like people do on sailboats, but have not found any. I don't mean 50 to 100 feet Nordhavens (no offense to NH owners). I talking 25 to 50 feet trawlers that everyday people can afford. Lots of people travel the islands and central America on $10k sailboats. Where are those on $30 to $60k trawlers? If anyone has a link to a blog like this please post it. We did not loose our vision of traveling when we came over to the dark side, just got put into the financial penalty box for upgrading to a much larger boat. Our penalty time is two thirds over and then the real fun will begin.

Check out And Willie Said For the past three years, we have trailered out Ranger Tug R27 out to the PNW. Lots of great pictures, and a little commentary about two people and a Golden Retriever spending 4-5 months on a small trawler.

The problem I have with "blogs" is that they read backwards. That is to say, the latest day is at the beginning of the blog and the first day is at the end.

So - to read about a trip in order, you have to scroll down to the first entry, read down the page, then scroll up to the next entry, read down the page, and so on.

I totally agree with you. I love to read blogs but it is really difficult to keep the timeline straight on most. Most cruisers seem to prefer Blogspot which reads backwards. I tried out Travelpod for my last cruise and liked it. It is easy to update, can be read forward or backwards or inside out and has a handy map on each page. And you can print out your blog in book form when you're done (which I did and it turned out very nice). The free version is a bit more cluttered than Blogspot and doesn't have as concise of url address, but IMHO it is worth it. You can pay for a personal address. Feel free to check out my blog at Travel Blog: The Great Meander on the Little Loop (Part 1)

John

I've tried to address that to a certain extent in my blog
Dauntless at Sea | Voyages of a Kadey Krogen 42

In that I have tried to write from the beginning, but then interject current events.

In the next days, i will return to the past.

Here is one of a couple on a 38'
http://www.mytripjournal.com/melandjohn&p=1&m=4

My First Mate does our blogging and photography. We started doing it to keep family and friends up to date. We're buried under snow now, of course, but you can see some of last year's trips on our site. This summer we plan to cruise the Erie, Rideau, and Richelieu canals, with full documentation.

I've tried to address that to a certain extent in my blog
Dauntless at Sea | Voyages of a Kadey Krogen 42

In that I have tried to write from the beginning, but then interject current events.

In the next days, i will return to the past.

I enjoyed your blog.

It was interesting that path you have taken from getting Bit by the Trawler Bug. It was good to hear about Captain Bob in Ft. Lauderdale. We talked about taking his class especially since the class goes to areas I used to sail. Did you anchor off Nixon's old house?

The fuel usage numbers you posted was very helpful.

Later,
Dan

There are trawler blogs out there as well. I like to read them. The problem I have with "blogs" is that they read backwards. That is to say, the latest day is at the beginning of the blog and the first day is at the end. So - to read about a trip in order, you have to scroll down to the first entry, read down the page, then scroll up to the next entry, read down the page, and so on.

Boy do I agree about the reading backwards thing. I fixed that as best I could on mine by showing only one post at a time. At the bottom you can move forward or backwards chronologically to the next post. It's not perfect , but I think much easier to read. And to boot, it's all about trawlers!

www.MVTanglewood.com

That's my shameless promotion for the day.

I knew the fellas would appriciate that one:D

A three trawler blog

mikepanderson.blog.com

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom