Cruisers Yachts 48: Liveaboard for Island Hopping?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tcpip95

I'm looking for a boat that will allow the two of us to travel around from FL to Bahamas, to Turks & Caicos, then possibly hop down to St. Somewhere and on to Barbados, and the ABCs.

Wife really likes the Cruisers Yachts 48' Sedan (here's an example of one): 2005 Cruisers Yachts SEDAN Power Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

I'm a little concerned that the dipped bow on this could get stuck in a following sea or in some offshore waves/weather (read similar critiques of Sea Rays having a similar problem) resulting in water coming over the top.

Anyone have any experience with these - and in particular this problem?

I'm looking for a boat that will allow the two of us to travel around from FL to Bahamas, to Turks & Caicos, then possibly hop down to St. Somewhere and on to Barbados, and the ABCs.

Wife really likes the Cruisers Yachts 48' Sedan (here's an example of one): 2005 Cruisers Yachts SEDAN Power Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

I'm a little concerned that the dipped bow on this could get stuck in a following sea or in some offshore waves/weather (read similar critiques of Sea Rays having a similar problem) resulting in water coming over the top.

Anyone have any experience with these - and in particular this problem?

I'm just guessing at least 40 gals hr at 20kts, or 2 gals per mile.

Please tell me you own an oil well!:D

My 2 cents worth:

You came to the right place as lots of experience on TF for this question.

A Cruisers like that shown is not an offshore designed boat. By watching the weather and being careful sure it can do the trip you intend. But for long hauls and all weather safety consider a vessel for sea keeping and storm avoidance firsts vs looks and interior fluffiness seconds.

BTW, have you looked at expected distances to travel and safe/clean fuel stops enroute? This equates to range and tank volumes which may be a bit tight for the Cruisers.

Last but not least, for $300K there are some very nice trawlers out there to consider. Trawler designs that are proven island hoppers. If you were quick, a perfect KK42 is available.

There is also a nice Hatteras 48 LRC in Virginia beach, which is perfect for a trip like you would like to take.

For cruising from Florida to the Bahamas and even on to the Turks and Cacos, the Cruisers 48 is an ok boat for that mission. But it is totally unsuitable for a trip to the ABC islands.

If you go fast you will be stopping every day for fuel and it will cost you a fortune. If you go slow you will be beat to death by the time you get there.

So I recommend three choices:

* Forget the ABC mission and enjoy the Bahamas in your Cruisers 48

* Buy one of the slower, sturdier vessels mentioned above. The Hatteras would be a great choice, as would a Kady Krogen. But these are slow boats- 7-8 kts.

* Ratchet your budget up and buy something like a newer Grand Banks 52 or Flemming 55. These have the hull shape and horsepower to go reasonably fast- about 15-18 kts and double the fuel capacity of the Cruisers. But also plan to spend a lot on fuel but half as much as the Cruisers at 25 kts.

The latter two catagories of boats have lots of interior room to be comfortable on that 2,000 mile trip. You would be miserable on that Cruisers 48.

David

Last edited:
For cruising from Florida to the Bahamas and even on to the Turks and Cacos, the Cruisers 48 is an ok boat for that mission. But it is totally unsuitable for a trip to the ABC islands.

If you go fast you will be stopping every day for fuel and it will cost you a fortune. If you go slow you will be beat to death by the time you get there.

* Forget the ABC mission and enjoy the Bahamas in your Cruisers 58...

What he said. We've been to the ABC's on Hobo. They're beautiful but one of the windiest places we've been to and the seas are proportional to the wind. And once you get there...

Wind & weather statistics Aruba Airport - Windfinder

Last edited:
Well nice go-fast boat. Lots of $$ in fuel, if and I say if you have the range. Good suggestions to look at the distances you want to travel, calculate a 10% reserve, then start your search. For what you want your boat to do, the go-fast boats may not be suited for the task.

Good luck in your search, most of all make it fun for you and the wife. Attend boat shows when possible, do your research and so look at all different types before you jump in….

That looks to me more like an express style boat than a sedan, You could have great fun with that boat in the Bahamas. I can't see it for passagemaking or long range cruising.

Cruisers was a lower end lake boat ten or so years ago when I had a trawler on Lake Michigan. No way would I use it on the ocean except in the mildest of weather conditions. The modified V hull will beat you up!

I've seen more than one Cruisers with plastic throughulls sealed with silicone and many with moisture problems in their balsa cored bottoms.

The photo below is a Cruisers throughull that fell out of the boat and exposed the balsa core. The upside of this incident was that the boat wasn't under water long enough to rot the core :)

Also pay close attention to all throughulls very near the water line .... they are not fitted with seacocks. Stoopid, stoopid, stoopid.

It is critical these boats be out of the water for 48hrs before moisture metering

Attachments

• vfs.receipts 014.jpg
    vfs.receipts 014.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 114
Many thanks to everyone. Am back to looking at Hatteras and DeFever again. So happy that I can cross some of these sexy boats off the list for good reasons.

This is excellent advise:

* Forget the ABC mission and enjoy the Bahamas in your Cruisers 48

* Buy one of the slower, sturdier vessels mentioned above. The Hatteras would be a great choice, as would a Kady Krogen. But these are slow boats- 7-8 kts.

* Ratchet your budget up and buy something like a newer Grand Banks 52 or Flemming 55. These have the hull shape and horsepower to go reasonably fast- about 15-18 kts and double the fuel capacity of the Cruisers. But also plan to spend a lot on fuel but half as much as the Cruisers at 25 kts.

The latter two catagories of boats have lots of interior room to be comfortable on that 2,000 mile trip. You would be miserable on that Cruisers 48.

David

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom