Old 03-13-2017, 06:22 AM   #1
Guru

City: Quebec
Vessel Name: Bleuvet
Vessel Model: Custom Built
Cruise log - What do you do?

Hello TFers,
Few days ago I started a thread about cruise planning. Now let's go one step further. Do you keep a cruise log when you are cruising? If yes how often are you writing down new entry, every 30min, every hour, more? And what are you logging? Position? fuel? weather observation? Anything else?

Regards,

L.
Lou_tribal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 08:05 AM   #2
Guru

City: Trenton
I use a desk calendar. If you can't say it in a 2"x2" square then you're talking too much.
alormaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 08:10 AM   #3
Guru

City: Holladay, UT
Vessel Name: Dream Catcher
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 37-065
We don't do that much detail. Usually only a line or two for each day underway, showing destination, nm traveled, and engine hours, unless there is some unusually interesting event that seems worth logging.

Crew/guests arriving or leaving, refueling, equipment issues, and maintenance are logged as well. After the summer cruise is done, I copy the equipment/maintenance stuff to a spreadsheet to keep track more easily.

17 years and 6,000 engine hours of summer cruising filled one small (6" x 8"?) Levenger notebook.
"Cruising in a Big Way"
RCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 08:26 AM   #4
Guru

City: Kitimat, North Coast BC
Vessel Name: Badger
Vessel Model: 30' Sundowner Tug
Date
Engine hours at start & finish of the day
Who's on board
Highlights of days travel (short)
Fuel purchased goes in the fuel log section
Maintenance / new equipment added goes in its section

That's about it.

We never travel directly from one place to another as we chase down whales/wildlife or check out photography hot spots, so distance traveled would be hard to figure out. (Could use the iPad for that I guess, but don't). We figure out fuel used per hour at the end of the season.

The waterways here are complex with big tides so there are weird back eddies and meandering swirls of currents which can have a big effect on distance traveled...we just keep to the same RPM and try to milk the currents when possible and estimate fuel used per hour rather than by distance.
Old 03-13-2017, 08:34 AM   #5
Guru

City: Holladay, UT
Vessel Name: Dream Catcher
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 37-065
Chartplotters track distance over ground traveled for us. Garmin 2006C, or now CE on the laptop.
"Cruising in a Big Way"
RCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 08:49 AM   #6
Guru

City: Italy
Vessel Name: Didi Mau
Vessel Model: Currently looking for next boat
Nope, not much of a log. When we sailed in open water, 10 days from Norfolk to Tortola, we made entries in a log every watch change. We kept up the log for a couple of weeks. but lost interest after they all seemed the same.

Four trips up and down the ICW, still no log. I do keep a detailed maintenance log where I track fuel consumption and price. All other activities are tracked on facebook.

Gordon
Gordon J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 10:28 AM   #7
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in the Great Lakes
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
I keep a daily log when cruising or need to note service.
Date, starting point name, starting engine hours, starting odometer, starting trip odometer.
Date, ending point name, ending engine hours, ending odometer, ending trip odometer.

For service:
Date, engine hours, odometer, service info

Log gets transferred to a Word document later.

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 10:29 AM   #8

City: Athens, AL
Vessel Name: Always Something!
Vessel Model: Tiara 3700 open
My logged info

I use a combined travel / maintenance log on a daily use or work day basis. It is a simple spreadsheet printout that has blank data locations for date, engine and generator hrs, fuel purchased by tank location, fuel cost, boat location, GPS distance traveled, and a notes section. I use the notes section to log any engine / electrical / maintenance performed or repairs made. I asterisk the first date column if a major service or repair is done so it is easy to check if oil change or other hr or date based service is needed. Takes about 2 minutes to fill in data.

I also keep file folders for boat related receipts… one for upgrades and one for repairs. The on-boat log and the receipt files have made my past boat sales much easier. I can document when and what was done. This works for me.
Alabama Boater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 10:34 AM   #9
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
I track from where I start each day to where I stop. I include engine hours. I track each time I buy fuel, the cost per gallon and the engine hours.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 10:52 AM   #10
Guru

Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 37
if the time in the archipelago where I can navigate the visual observations of the various maritime safety signs or islands, so I do not do other markings, as others have written above, but the open sea which does not appear in the other 360 ° as the sea, I mark the paper chart every location within half an hour and check for possible changes in the route. legally it would be good to record in the log book at equal intervals on the location and time, or print the information out of the route plotter which stores time-to-date location. If something happens, and you will be accused of such oil damage, you can prove where you were, what time.
North Baltic sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 11:24 AM   #11
Technical Guru

City: Wilmington, NC
Vessel Name: Louisa
Vessel Model: Custom Built 38
I have a small spiral notebook. When I anchor up, I put location, date, eng hrs, gen hrs, odometer reading and the two fuel tank levels in inches. Then nothing til next stop.

If I do any engine or gen maintenance, I log that too.

When I add fuel, log eng and gen hrs, date, odo, tank levels before and tank levels after and gals added.

That's it in the log.

After a long trip it is fun to calc avg burn rate, speed, nmpg, total gals, total hours, total trip length, etc.
Ski in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 11:26 AM   #12
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
So what do you guys do w all that engine hours data?

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 12:17 PM   #13
Guru

City: Annapolis
Vessel Name: Ranger
Vessel Model: 58' Sedan Bridge
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad Willy View Post
So what do you guys do w all that engine hours data?

In our case, we use that to guide scheduling of various service points called out in the engine and genset manufacturers' manuals...

-Chris
Old 03-13-2017, 12:34 PM   #14
Guru

City: Inside Passage Summer/Columbia River Winter
Vessel Name: Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Model: 1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
When Cruising we use a daily log. I have it in Word so I can reprint it....
Alaskan Sea-Duction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 01:46 PM   #15
GFC
Guru

City: Tri Cities, WA
Here's my cruise log. See, I told you I was anal! The numbers in there were just put in to make sure the formulas that calculate totals are correct.

Old 03-13-2017, 01:58 PM   #16

City: Comox
Vessel Model: 1989 Wellington 57 motorsailer
I log engine hours at start. Departure time. Cruising speed and RPMs. Wx conditions. Sea state. Time when abeam lighthouses or landmarks. Any significant traffic or notices on CH16. Arrival time and engine hours at shutdown. Position of anchor drop. Maintenance done. Fuel taken on. At back of logbook, I list any jobs that need to be done when time allows. Prioritize list as to urgency.
Nightsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 02:09 PM   #17
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by GFC View Post
Here's my cruise log. See, I told you I was anal! The numbers in there were just put in to make sure the formulas that calculate totals are correct.

Again, ours is much like yours, just electronically in software we have. Now, we also keep a log that is more personal, than boat driven, that includes where we've gone, what we did there, where we ate, and comments about the location.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 02:42 PM   #18
Guru

City: Cape May, NJ
Vessel Name: Irish Lady
Vessel Model: Monk 36
Everything goes into a steno pad. Time of departure, destination, any stops along the way, end point, fuel tank levels, engine hours, any problem needing fixing, and any people we meet. Start a new pad each season. In the front of each pad is all of the boats details equipment serial numbers, part numbers and such for reference.
1984 Monk 36 Hull #46
Currently in Cape May, NJ
High Wire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 12:35 PM   #19
Guru

City: East Coast
Vessel Name: M/V Maerin (Sold)
Vessel Model: Solo 4303
I developed a format for use in a spiral bound teak covered logbook that belonged to my dad, complete with a custom made brass plate on the front that has a line drawing of the boat and the name engraved. The sheets were duplex printed via laser printer on heavy paper, so they're indelible and have sequential page numbers. Office Depot will punch the pages and have the spiral gizmos to bind the pages into booklet form. I have a section for daily, maintenance, & fuel. When the pages fill, I can remove them and have an archive booklet with laminated covers to keep the older pages. We refer to it often when we're revisiting places, handy for planning or recalling details. Since we cruise with dogs (now dog), we kept a rating of how dog-friendly the stopover was. We log every day of travel, and additional when it seems appropriate. I can be anal with the best of 'em!
Attached Thumbnails
log_page.jpg   log_pages_maint01.jpg   Logbook.JPG  
Maerin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 12:43 PM   #20

City: NC
Vessel Name: The Blue Comet
Vessel Model: Nordic Tugs/ NT32
Cruise log - What do you do?

Pictures. I take lots of pictures, edit them later, and they become the cruise log.
ColonyCove is offline   Reply With Quote