Old 04-07-2014, 07:46 AM   #1
Veteran Member

City: GA
Vessel Name: Soggy Dollar
Vessel Model: 480 Sea Ray motor yacht
Cruise info Sandusky OH to TN river

I am looking at a boat in Sandusky Ohio and if purchased, would move it to Chattanooga on the TN River. Anyone have an idea as to how to do that on her own bottom or the est coast of trucking" It is a 46 fly bridge cruiser. Thanks for any thoughts.

soggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 07:52 AM   #2
Guru

City: Cleveland
Soggy.

I believe you could run her on her bottom but if not, here is a good trucking company that could ship her for you.

Yacht Trailer, Yacht Transport, Yacht Services, Yacht Transportation, Yacht Hauling, Yacht Shippers, Transport Yacht :: M&B Yacht Transport

All the best to you and Happy cruising to you.

H. Foster

hfoster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 08:23 AM   #3
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
That would be an interesting trip. If you have some time the canals in Canada would be a great opportunity. There is some great cruising on the Great Lakes. Then bring here home via the Illinois and Mississippi Rivers. You would go through the middle of downtown Chicago. Did I say the trip is a great opportunity?
http://moonstruckblog.wordpress.com/
Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 08:58 AM   #4

City: Great Lakes
Vessel Name: NONE
Vessel Model: NONE
Wife & I used to stop in at Battery Park marina in Sandusky on ocassion. As far as getting it home goes, "on its on bottom" there is really only one practical route as far as I know. That is to take the west side of the loop and enter the river system at Chicago and take the Illinois down and around. There may be a feasible way on the east side of the loop but I'm not aware of it. It might be worth exploring the possibility of trucking it to nearby Pittsburg and taking the Ohio River down, the much shorter truck haul might might be more economical than trucking it all the way. Your also close enough to Pittsburg that "just possibly" there might be a way via back roads to get it there without taking the flybridge off.

If you were to take the Chicago route, it would take a couple weeks but would be a nice leisurely trip and a great way to get familiar with your new boat. Hopefully some of the Loopers here can chime in with more specifics.
Capt Kangeroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 09:02 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Great idea on the waer route but, I just dont have that kind of time. Truck may be the only solution if we buy the bat. Its a 2002 with only 224 hours on the Cummins and the trip would probably double the hours in a fun way. I need to retire and play more!
Old 04-07-2014, 09:12 AM   #6
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
Quote:
Originally Posted by soggy View Post
Great idea on the waer route but, I just dont have that kind of time. Truck may be the only solution if we buy the bat. Its a 2002 with only 224 hours on the Cummins and the trip would probably double the hours in a fun way. I need to retire and play more!
OK, Soggy, new plan. While it is up there, use your vacation time to cruise the canals. Then truck it down. Problem solved.
http://moonstruckblog.wordpress.com/
Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 09:21 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Great idea, best of all worlds!
Old 04-07-2014, 09:43 AM   #8
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by hfoster View Post
Soggy.

I believe you could run her on her bottom but if not, here is a good trucking company that could ship her for you.

Yacht Trailer, Yacht Transport, Yacht Services, Yacht Transportation, Yacht Hauling, Yacht Shippers, Transport Yacht :: M&B Yacht Transport

All the best to you and Happy cruising to you.

H. Foster
Ditto on this recommendation. Family owned...nice people.
Underway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 09:55 AM   #9

City: Winnipeg
Vessel Name: Brass Ring
Vessel Model: 38 bayliner
For the west loop,you might want to check your height. The limiting factor is one bridge in Chicago around the 15 foot mark.
I really like the idea of the summer on the Great Lakes and canals. One neat island destination is Putin Bay and it is very close to Sandusky
bobsyiruncle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 10:33 AM   #10
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsyiruncle View Post
For the west loop,you might want to check your height. The limiting factor is one bridge in Chicago around the 15 foot mark.
I really like the idea of the summer on the Great Lakes and canals. One neat island destination is Putin Bay and it is very close to Sandusky
The limit in Chicago is 19'1". That is the highest of your options to get through Chicago.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 10:39 AM   #11
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by soggy View Post
I am looking at a boat in Sandusky Ohio and if purchased, would move it to Chattanooga on the TN River. Anyone have an idea as to how to do that on her own bottom or the est coast of trucking" It is a 46 fly bridge cruiser. Thanks for any thoughts.
To me the key is can you clear Chicago, 19'1". If so, I'm always a person in favor of moving it on it's own bottom. Nice trip through the great lakes and then down. Explore and see new places. Quite honestly, even if you couldn't clear Chicago, I'd consider going counter-clockwise. There's months and months to explore going east and then coming down the east coast, around Florida and ultimately up the Tenn Tom.

There's quick delivery, but there's also a wonderful opportunity for some cruising between Ohio and home. Way to get in a nice portion of the Loop.

We're picking up a boat in Washington. We could have had it delivered to Fort Lauderdale. But we're going to see Alaska first, then the west coast, Panama Canal, up and around. Finally home. Will take months and be broken into many separate trips. But these are areas we've never seen and just seems like such a good opportunity.

BandB is offline   Reply With Quote