Closed Thread

Old 02-09-2018, 05:21 PM   #1
Veteran Member

City: Los Alamitos
Cruise to Hawaii and Possibly Tahiti

Hi,

I am considering a passage from CA to HI. While I haven't nailed down the vessel type (power or sail), I am currently leaning toward power, and specifically the Trawler variety. I have considered sail, buth mono and multi, but the idea of an exposed cockpit doesn't really appeal to me.

I would try to cruise at about 5 kts to save fuel, and am asking if anyone has any advice on what size of boat would be appropriate for such a passage, multi or single engine, opinions on Mainship, Hatteras or any other suitable vessels.

What type of provisions (drums, bladders, jerry cans, inside or outside storage) etc., for extra fuel. What sort of fuel consumption can be expected for a boat large enough to be suitable would be at, say 5 kts.

Please educate me beyond what I have done for myself so far.

Also, any opinions on large engines running more slowly, or smaller engines running at a higher rpm re: fuel consumption. Turbo or NA, 71 and 53 series DDs. Any and all information on a suitable vessel/engine would be appreciated. I am all ears.
Old 02-09-2018, 05:51 PM   #2
Guru

City: Southwest MI
Vessel Name: Sobelle
Vessel Model: C-Dory 22 Cruiser
I guess the first question is why?

At 5 knots that is 21 days cruising (24hrs/day) over a whole lot of nothing. Unless you have to deliver a boat (but since you haven't even bought one yet this is probably not the case), to me it seems easier to fly to Hawaii and then charter a boat there for cruising the islands. Same thing in Tahiti.
Old 02-09-2018, 06:08 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssobol View Post
I guess the first question is why?

At 5 knots that is 21 days cruising (24hrs/day) over a whole lot of nothing. Unless you have to deliver a boat (but since you haven't even bought one yet this is probably not the case), to me it seems easier to fly to Hawaii and then charter a boat there for cruising the islands. Same thing in Tahiti.
Do you have any response to the questions I asked? BTW, my reasons are my own. I've made the round trip twice as a crew member, but want to go as the "skipper". It's a challenge. Sort of like the "why" in climbing K2.
Old 02-09-2018, 06:19 PM   #4
Guru

City: Quebec
Vessel Name: Bleuvet
Vessel Model: Custom Built
My 2 cents but with such a way to answer don't expect much...
Maybe what ssobol meant is that it is not as easy it may look and the fact that you ask the question may also means you think it is.
I m not an experienced mariner like some her may be but I don't think any of the boat you mentioned are geared for this.

L
Old 02-09-2018, 07:11 PM   #5
Guru

City: Vallejo, California
Vessel Name: Mahalo Moi
Vessel Model: 1986 Grand Banks 42 Classic
Welcome to the forum! I have zero experience with long-range cruising. There are a few on this forum that do and they will probably chime in soon. Good luck.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑβΕ
Old 02-09-2018, 07:29 PM   #6

City: Bainbridge Island
Vessel Name: Mahalo
Vessel Model: 2018 Hampton Endurance 658
Sashimi it will perhaps be difficult to get the responses you are looking for. That particular crossing is one of the most daunting in the world. No offense but even mentioning "Mainship" in this conversation means you really ought to do more research on your own and it is hard to take your post seriously.

People here enjoy boating but we don't want to die doing it. Unless you have the budget for a big Nordhavn or similar (Northern Marine Starr did this crossing and back) there's not much to talk about, at least from my perspective. Sticking to a sailboat is a way more realistic option.

And speaking of realistic, to your K2 reference, there are other mountains to climb with less effort required. If you want to cross an ocean in a small boat (which I totally get), looking at an Atlantic crossing is much more doable and safe.

Here's a starting point, eliminate any boat that is not full displacement.

Honestly, no offense meant.
Old 02-09-2018, 07:32 PM   #7
Guru

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: AZZURRA
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 54
First it’s about range. Then it’s about budget. Then it’s about comfort.

I have seen 20’ sail boats make the trip. With a trawler you will need something bigger to hold the approximately 1000 gallons of fuel you will burn.

When I did it, it was in a 65’ fast sailboat, we still burned 70 gallons of fuel.
Old 02-09-2018, 07:34 PM   #8
Grand Vizier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sashimi View Post
Hi,

I am considering a passage from CA to HI. While I haven't nailed down the vessel type (power or sail), I am currently leaning toward power, and specifically the Trawler variety. I have considered sail, buth mono and multi, but the idea of an exposed cockpit doesn't really appeal to me.

I would try to cruise at about 5 kts to save fuel, and am asking if anyone has any advice on what size of boat would be appropriate for such a passage, multi or single engine, opinions on Mainship, Hatteras or any other suitable vessels.

What type of provisions (drums, bladders, jerry cans, inside or outside storage) etc., for extra fuel. What sort of fuel consumption can be expected for a boat large enough to be suitable would be at, say 5 kts.

Please educate me beyond what I have done for myself so far.

Also, any opinions on large engines running more slowly, or smaller engines running at a higher rpm re: fuel consumption. Turbo or NA, 71 and 53 series DDs. Any and all information on a suitable vessel/engine would be appreciated. I am all ears.
The main issue in blue water voyaging is stabilization. To Hawaii is a broad reach to run the whole way under sail, or a beeline to the center of the North Pacific high if a trawler. A sailboat is somewhat stabilized by its mast and sail, so the minimum sized power vessel, IMO, is one that has at least passive stabilizers. Once the vessel is identified, the rest of your questions are answerable. Without knowing the boat, not so much.
Old 02-09-2018, 07:57 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustBob View Post
Sashimi it will perhaps be difficult to get the responses you are looking for. That particular crossing is one of the most daunting in the world. No offense but even mentioning "Mainship" in this conversation means you really ought to do more research on your own and it is hard to take your post seriously.

People here enjoy boating but we don't want to die doing it. Unless you have the budget for a big Nordhavn or similar (Northern Marine Starr did this crossing and back) there's not much to talk about, at least from my perspective. Sticking to a sailboat is a way more realistic option.

And speaking of realistic, to your K2 reference, there are other mountains to climb with less effort required. If you want to cross an ocean in a small boat (which I totally get), looking at an Atlantic crossing is much more doable and safe.

Here's a starting point, eliminate any boat that is not full displacement.

Honestly, no offense meant.
I am doing research on my own, but when you look at a boat listing, they don't really say things like "not suitable for the passage from CA to HI, so I have to take things I glean from other sources, and attempt to bounce it off of "experts" in places like this.

I'm sorry my serious and legitimate inquiry appears to be a trifling to you, but I assure you it is not. No offense intended.

Your suggestion re: the Atlantic will receive serious consideration.

I am in total agreement with you on full displacement, but any sailboat would have to have an enclosed cockpit or at least a Center Cockpit. Right now I have back-burnered that option (sail) to explore this one.

Any thoughts on the Hatteras LRC?
Old 02-09-2018, 08:01 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delfin View Post
The main issue in blue water voyaging is stabilization. To Hawaii is a broad reach to run the whole way under sail, or a beeline to the center of the North Pacific high if a trawler. A sailboat is somewhat stabilized by its mast and sail, so the minimum sized power vessel, IMO, is one that has at least passive stabilizers. Once the vessel is identified, the rest of your questions are answerable. Without knowing the boat, not so much.
Any thoughts on the Hatteras LRC or the DD 92 series engines, vs 71 or 53. Is that technology too old and out of date?
Old 02-09-2018, 08:10 PM   #11

City: Bainbridge Island
Vessel Name: Mahalo
Vessel Model: 2018 Hampton Endurance 658
Quote:
I am doing research on my own, but when you look at a boat listing, they don't really say things like "not suitable for the passage from CA to HI, so I have to take things I glean from other sources, and attempt to bounce it off of "experts" in places like this.

I'm sorry my serious and legitimate inquiry appears to be a trifling to you, but I assure you it is not. No offense intended.

I am in total agreement with you on full displacement, but any sailboat would have to have an enclosed cockpit or at least a Center Cockpit. Right now I have back-burnered that option (sail) to explore this one.

When I said full displacement, I meant FD powerboats. I.e. Nordhavn, Northern Marine, etc.

Believing anything in a boat listing, especially CA to HI capability, is just.... I can't even say it.

Okay, we will take you at your word that you are serious. What is your budget?
Old 02-09-2018, 08:14 PM   #12
Guru

City: New Orleans
Vessel Name: Scot Free
Vessel Model: Cheoy Lee 53' Efficient
I get the feeling from the OP that you might have a budget that excludes the more recent passage-makers such as the Nordys.
Forget US production boats such as Mainship. You will die.
In the spirit of helpfulness, may I suggest an older Cheoy Lee? They have travelled all over the world and many have stabilizers.
Alternately, perhaps a real, older, working trawler that can be converted?
You might also consider a well built wooden boat, might come at an attractive price point and some are really hell for stout.
Old 02-09-2018, 08:14 PM   #13
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Model: Helmsman 4304
These 50 something year old guys did it in a row boat.

I don’t have any helpful advice on boats to use but sounds like you have some solid past sailboat experience to build upon. It would be a major feat, but if there’s a will...
Attached Thumbnails
4E16A68B-5D0D-42F4-B358-BD9E8BC6A816.jpg  
Old 02-09-2018, 08:15 PM   #14

City: Out and About
Vessel Model: Sold-GB 52 Europa, Queenship 59, Tolly 45
Quote:
Any thoughts on the Hatteras LRC or the DD 92 series engines, vs 71 or 53. Is that technology too old and out of date?
Both the Hatteras 48 LRC or 58 LRC would be good choices. Both came with naturally aspirated (not counting the 2 cycle blower) DD 4-53, 4-71 or 6-71 engines. Believe the latter was only used in the 65 LRC. If maintained and used frequently, these engines will run almost forever. Parts are easy to get. You'd be looking at 150-300k for decent examples.

You won't find an LRC with a 92 series DD.
Old 02-09-2018, 08:44 PM   #15
Grand Vizier

The slog to Hawaii is not a particularly challenging crossing, other than the usual issues of watch keeping, lack of sleep, dependency on mechanical stuff, etc. It's just 2 to 3 weeks of one day after another, which I would do again in a heart beat. Getting back again is a bit more challenging, but if the vessel is sound isn't exactly climbing Everest. Perhaps find a copy of Robert Beebe's "Voyaging Under Power". You'll learn a lot from someone who focused on what it takes to navigate the deep blue with a powered vessel.
Old 02-09-2018, 09:20 PM   #16

City: West Vancouver
Vessel Name: Ka Hale Kai
Vessel Model: 52' Cheoy Lee
I have sailed Victoria to Hawaii, and have done a reasonable amount of offshore with my current trawler, but I would not take our trawler to hawaii. It doesn't have stablizers and that would be tough after a few days. It also is not a full displacement. Not sure if all the options you are considering are.

I do get the comfort of a trawler. We passed a sailboat offshore Oregon, and we were in the pilothouse in Tee shirts drinking tea with the wipers on and they were hunkered down in the cockpit in full wet weather gear, spray in the face. A compelling contrast.

If you are thinking 5 knots, maybe a pilot house sailboat? Might be the best of both worlds, and certainly less diesel. As a previous poster noted, having the sails makes things a lot more stable too.

(Edit - I see you mentioned a pilot house sailboat in a previous post - sorry about that)
Old 02-09-2018, 09:28 PM   #17

Here’s a letter from a guy who had crossed 3 times by sail describing his crossing in a power boat to the builder.
Most of his observations in the letter have been made so far by the responses in this thread. Full displacement, stabilized, fuel range.
The owner appears to have liver in HI, so had a reason to do the crossing.
The boat returned, reputedly also on its own bottom, and was sold in BLAINE in the last year, still going!Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4912.jpg
Views:	291
Size:	188.0 KB
ID:	72835
Old 02-09-2018, 09:47 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustBob View Post
When I said full displacement, I meant FD powerboats. I.e. Nordhavn, Northern Marine, etc.

Believing anything in a boat listing, especially CA to HI capability, is just.... I can't even say it.

Okay, we will take you at your word that you are serious. What is your budget?
Yes, I understand powerboat. FD is a common adjective, and I am familiar with its use.

I am afraid I have to take some things as stated, but nobody mentions ca 2 hi. Thanks.
Old 02-09-2018, 10:04 PM   #19
Guru

City: Cape Cod, MA
Vessel Name: Island Seeker
Vessel Model: Willard 36 Sedan
The "Vega" mentioned in the letter is the Garden troller on which the Willard 36 was molded. I would consider such a voyage in my Willard but the "why" question would be hard to answer for me.
Old 02-09-2018, 10:46 PM   #20
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Quote:

The most important aspects of such a crossing are your experience and both the size and experience of your crew. You share nothing about either of those other than that you crewed a couple of times. He was critical of your mention of Mainship as it clearly showed you are not even at a base level of preparation and knowledge. This is not a crossing to make your first major cruising plan. We intend to one day make that trip but we've cruised around 90,000 nm and intend to do it with a large boat and a large crew.

You shouldn't need a listing to say not suitable. You need to spend more time around the boats themselves. Also read blogs of long range cruisers, many of whom are here. Also, once you get to Hawaii, where then? Are you planning on cruising there on your way somewhere or just there and back.

2200 nm at 5 knots is 440 hours or 18-19 days. I can understand if you want to purchase a boat capable of doing the trip in several years, but based on the limited amount you've shared, no boat is capable today with you operating it. Now, a very key question. Do you have a price range in mind for the boat purchase and the refitting of it to be ready for such a trip?

We don't consider your request trifling, but you don't want people shooting from the hip with irresponsible answers either. That's why were asking you to share more information.
Closed Thread