Crossroads- Retirement and cruise or continue to work?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
. Govts are fond of moving the goalposts after you carefully set yourself up for the future under the rules they said/lied would continue. A buffer between what you have and what you need, a kind of contingency allocation, would be good.

Ain't that the truth.
Lost track of how many times I have seen goalposts shifted in relation to us drawing our income and taxes on Oz investments while living overseas. :banghead:

Last edited:
Should we continue to work and take the safe route financially or should we go for it and pursue our dreams???
Lots of good, valid opinions and advice being given. In the end it comes down to what is most important to you and your wife. What do you value the most? Experiences now and near future? Or future security?

Of one thing you can be certain. There are no guarantees for the future. You health nor your financial security. Go with what feels right for you and be happy with your decision. I find that when facing big decisions I turn to writing. As my thoughts flow out onto the paper my decision takes form and soon I know what I need to do. And I do use paper and pen, in a note book. Not the keyboard. I find the process works better that way.

Personally I'm finding my endurance and range of motion are failing much more quickly than I anticipated. Doors are closing that I wish I'd walked through when I could. Also cruising full time is not what I want to do. There is so much more to see, do and experience than boating.

Retired together year ago. Sold home. Put stuff in storage. Living on trawler. Clean break. New life begins. Great fun.

Second the above. Is there any way you can boat a lot and work a little bit between?

That is what I do, I know I would get bored if all I did was boat.
Agree w part time work as an attractive alternative. It can be the best of both worlds. It doesn't take a huge income to make a significant difference as every $ in PT income is a $ that stays in the retirement fund working for you.

1-Do you like your job?

2-Does it have any "portability" or can you do it part time

3-You will usually spend less when you retire but a lot of things (health care-and not just the big stuff) will cost more.

4-Be SURE you have "enough"...hard to do and only you can decide.

Otherwise--go for it!!

I bought a 44' custom built boat a number of years ago that was originally from an estate sale--the owner went to the boat daily, with great anticipation and excitement to watch and monitor the build. Boat put in water, refrigerator filled, fishing gear aboard in anticipation of the first trip after the shakedown....he died in his sleep that night.

Somehow you have to live in the moment while planning for the long term.

Good Luck, sounds like you are in a good place.

I have mentioned this before in the forum, an acronym I learned from a boat broker:

QTR - Quality Time Remaining

For the OP that makes a good living now, TIME is the constraining factor, not money.

Beginning in about 2010 I started doing a few international photography trips each year. Sometimes brought the wife. At mid-50's, we were generally the youngsters on each trip.

Seeing what folks were going through, age related illness or slow down, really hit home with me. I told my wife, "I'd like to get all our international travel bucket list places done sooner than later."

My wife's aunt goes on those river cruises in Europe, filled with oldsters. She says literally every trip someone has a medical event and has to be taken off the ship by emergency personnel.

------
Having retired just over a year ago (age 59), I believe if you can retire at a relatively younger age you just might last longer and have a better life. You will have time for travel, hobbies and such. You don't have to eat out as much because you have more time. It's okay to take a two hour walk, you don't have any meetings to prepare for.

Retiring means being able to jump into any endeavour you want and can afford to. You already know how to work the day job! It's very invigorating.

We all have a tale to tell.
The things that made my mind up were that I was in good health, loved my work but time was flying past. Buried a good friend who worked until he dropped, widow went crazy and kids blew the money and I realised there are no pockets on a shroud.

I was divorced, living on board a 10 metre motor cruiser in Ireland.
First I had extensive medical to ensure good health, then sat down with the kids and told them what I planned and they encouraged me because previously I'd devoted my life to working 80/100 hrs a week for their well being and higher education.
I sorted my money offshore then I fixed the date/time and set about giving the boat a major overhaul. I didn't upgrade or buy a fancy boat for the simple reason that the boat I had was a proven sea boat and easy handled, I've no desire to 'Keep up with the Jones for appearances sake'.
Since I sailed off into the sunset I've never been happier, no stress, no hassle and financially, less is more think about that carefully.
Mistakes yes, being single and divorced I spent several thousand over a 2 year period looking for a lady, that was a complete disaster and I sailed into my new life alone.
During a few days resting alongside the canal du Midi in France I met a beautiful French lady who also loves boats, has her own skippers ticket and we've been together now for 11 years. You can read about my preparation and first part of the adventure in my book 'How to Cruise Into Retirement' on Amazon as an eBook or paperback.(Its worth every penny for the chapter 'Looking for a lady'.

Good luck to you both, while your still working and getting organised go and do a navigation course and diesel maintenance course, store your personal effects, arrange for your mail to be received by some trustworthy family member, rent your house, move on board and sit tight for a month to get accustomed with living on board full time, take just a series of day trip 'shakedown cruises' to get the feel of life on the water before you undertake more adventurous journeys.
I wish you both the very best of Irish luck and you see a boat called 'Snow Mouse' on your travels there'll be a glass reserved for you.
Fair winds and safe harbours.

Last edited:
I have a job that pays tons of money with great benefits-kids basically grown-currently both wife and I have relatively great health, we own a beautiful new trawler, I am in early 60’s , she late 50’s,- want to do loop,Caribbean, Alaska, etc. and we can walk away from our jobs and financially be ok- still keep land home and Trawler—would have to tighten our belts and fine tune our budget. Won’t be anything left for the kids though-

We don’t know what the future holds and if we work and accumulate more $, we may be stronger financially but I feel we will miss an opportunity at this wonderful stage of our lives. Going to be a struggle to continue to work mentally when our hearts are focused on the world of boating, diving,fishing, exploring, meeting new friends!

Kids are supposed to grow up and fend for themselves... maybe even pay it backwards in eventual care for parents when necessary.

Consulting a financial planner should be a good exercise in adult behavior, but afterwards, and taking the outcome of that into account...

My dad died young. Wifey's mom and dad both died young. My grandparents and hers died young. Car accident almost killed me, didn't do her much good... and the next car accident hurt me again... and the next car accident hurt her again... (the other drivers being drunk, sleeping, or just inattentive, not paying attention to oncoming traffic, red lights, etc...)

So our decision: screw that. (And no, white vehicle apparently are NOT more visible than any other color.)

The way forward is your call, but as you say, the future is not completely predictable... and opportunity cost is can be a spectre, glaring down at you. Psychic income can outweigh cash.

-Chris

Wow! Thank you all for your responses— very thoughtful and insightful. Just to add a few more comments that I should throw out there and answer some questions— we have been focused on getting a trawler for some period of time 8+ years - the one we got is a 45 North Pacific- extremely happy with the quality of the build and the functionality. We have spent most of this year “commissioning “ the boat.

Also, like many of you I too have witnessed family and close friends pass on - and some that have currently a terminal illness at a relatively young age. Two years ago we lost one of our sons tragically- as one might expect it shook us to our core.

We don’t want to live on the boat full time but would have extended time away maybe several months and then come back to house to break it up and do other activities.

I think you all have confirmed what we have been feeling for some time- that is nothing is more important than family, friends and time. Thank you all[emoji41]

GF, I believe we emailed awhile back on the subject of boats. Great to hear you are enjoying yours.

I hope to join the retirement club in a couple years.

As noted by others , we have all experienced family and friends go too quickly. One of my best friends and ex class mate passed away 3 months ago after a brutal 5 year battle with MSA. An amazing waterman who always had a smile on his face and loved life. Started with a tremble, a cane to walk, wheel chair, then literally frozen in bed unable to speak or move his limbs. Perspective.

Cruising, like you envision takes one thing that can't be bought, good health.

At 60+ years old, you and your wife, are NOT going to become more healthy.

Pull rhe trigger.

Have fun.

Crossroads

I've lived my life by the philosophy that I always have enough. Whatever I chose to do and however I preferred to live, I'd always have sufficient funds to attract whatever I wished into my reality. And so it was that I never lived in fear (except when I divorced my second wife, but that's another story).

Much good advice from my peers here. I encourage you and your wife to live your dream life now. Don't wait. Remember the adage - eat, drink and be merry for tomorrow may not arrive? Invest your capital conservatively to create sufficient income, even drawing it down to zero eventually. At our age, who cares about capital gain? It's income that will make the difference in your daily lives. You guys laboured throughout your lives. It's time to enjoy all those fruitss of those labours.

Should we continue to work and take the safe route financially or should we go for it and pursue our dreams??? Your thoughts are most welcome [emoji120]
Safety is an illusion and dreams unlived are just empty entertainment.

In 2005 we were considering selling our business and cruising the European canals for a few years before going back to work. We went over there and tried it out for a couple of weeks and met with boat brokers and so on. When we got home an opportunity had arisen which would greatly enhance the value of our business. We put our dreams on hold and kept working. It went really well, we bought a floating home instead of the canal barge, we got a dog, etc. Now I'm 62, we sold the business last year for a lot more money than we would have imagined back in 2005, and my health has deteriorated so badly that I'm stuck here.

Some people are good with money, others are not. If your kids are good with money, they don't need yours. If not, they will blow yours. I've seen it both ways.

I say go for it. And never regret it, no matter how it turns out.

Last edited:
This is easy. All those that say "go for it" don't have any of your risk or responsibilities so that response is easy for them. The key point you made was "there would be nothing left for the kids". I believe you have a certain responsibility to your children to provide a little security for them, even if they are financially on the right track. If I were you, I would commit to a healthy life style that involves lots of exercise so if you did retire in 3 - 5 years you will be more fit than you are now with lots of years ahead of you. By that time your kids will also have a modest trust in their back pocket and you won't have to live with any regret for not providing better for kids and grand kids. You'll probably need a few years anyway to get ready for long term, long distance cruising. Everybody likes to live by the aphorism carpe diem and that's a nice notion but not so wise when it's at the expense of practical considerations.

I'm rarely this opinionated about such a personal issue but you did ask. Best of luck with whatever choice you make.

Cheers, Jeff

This is easy. All those that say "go for it" don't have any of your risk or responsibilities so that response is easy for them. The key point you made was "there would be nothing left for the kids". I believe you have a certain responsibility to your children to provide a little security for them, even if they are financially on the right track. If I were you, I would commit to a healthy life style that involves lots of exercise so if you did retire in 3 - 5 years you will be more fit than you are now with lots of years ahead of you. By that time your kids will also have a modest trust in their back pocket and you won't have to live with any regret for not providing better for kids and grand kids. You'll probably need a few years anyway to get ready for long term, long distance cruising. Everybody likes to live by the aphorism carpe diem and that's a nice notion but not so wise when it's at the expense of practical considerations.

I'm rarely this opinionated about such a personal issue but you did ask. Best of luck with whatever choice you make.

Cheers, Jeff
No doubt those who responded do not have the same responsibilities but in each of our ways we had similar responsibilities to calculate into the decision to retire. I for one definitely did and my response to retire is a reflection of my experiences since I retired, life is the best it's ever been and I can see clearly now that all the effort that was put into this goal was worth it! Now is time to place value on our lives outside of "work", to have the freedom of truly being yourself without the daily constrains of a job. There is tremendous value to this stage of life, for myself far more value than any previous paycheck ever brought me. Life is so short, so valuable, and so good!

I left my job at 59.5 but I didn't call it retirement. Instead I declared 2 years of indulgence, after which I would go back to work if necessary. Fifteen years later I'm still indulging.

It takes a while to get into the groove after you quit working. You need to maintain health (both you and your wife) during this adjustment before you can really tackle your dream.

Needing to ask a financial planner for help in deciding to me means you aren't ready to make the commitment. If you want to retire, you'll make it work.

Having just completed one trip around the sun in retirement we can't say this too loud - GO NOW. We too were looking at 'extra padding' on the retirement nest egg, but decided to go as soon as our retirement financial report showed our pie was Key Lime Green. Every time I twist and turn around the engines, or work on some insanely constrained area of the boat I know I couldn't do the same manual work in five years or so.

Some people are good with money, others are not. If your kids are good with money, they don't need yours. If not, they will blow yours. I've seen it both ways.

While I didn't agree with all of FatBear's post, this part I find very true.

Cheers, Jeff

Being a financially conservative guy, I agree with Jeff on everything but the idea of leaving money to the kids. While I agree that as a parent it is my job to set my kids up for a fulfilling life, I don't necessarily think that means setting them up with a trust. I do think it means raising them to be responsible, loving, well-adjusted people. I do think that it means helping them to meet their educational goals if I am able. My wife and I have accomplished both of those things. However, I don't think I need to worry about setting up my kids with assets and an income stream. Fortunately, they are both capable of taking care of themselves.

Now, if I find that down the road I have more money than I will need, I'm happy to give to my kids or grandkids. Right now, I'm still trying to save for my future financial security and give to my charities of choice. However, I'm still in the situation where I am not sure I will be as financially secure as I like. I'm not yet in the place where I have to figure out what to do with all my extra money.

Go!

As a friend told us, years ago, "You'll never have "enough" money. Just because you're standing today, doesn't mean you'll be standing tomorrow. Go!

We did, and never regretted our choice. We cruised full-time, with no home port, on the west coast of the USA, Canada, Alaska, and Mexico for 15 years . We have photos and memories galore.

We had several sets of friends that "needed" to work one more year, update one more electronic, etc., that never left the dock, due to health issues. If you're healthy, then go while you can.

Go now. Go as long as you're enjoying yourselves. Be grateful you can go and retain your assets. You'll live within whatever budget you set for yourselves. You sound like fiscally responsible people. The kids should tell you go. They'll find themselves in places only your cruising can offer.

Go. Enjoy!

Angkb

Interesting thread, as it could apply to so many of us approaching retirement age. Like the OP, i am trying to figure this all out, having just turned 60. As I read through the posts, I could relate to most of them, as they were relevant and well intentioned.

My brother retired from an executive position when he turned 56, and has spent his retired life traveling the world. He has a condo in Atlanta, no wife (divorced with no kids), and can fly out of town any time he finds a trip that interests him. He is in Africa now. He told me years ago not to wait too late, that as he travels he sees many that do not have the mobility to do very much on the shore excursions, which is sad. I have told him often he is not the norm: gold plated retirement package with health insurance for life, plus no spouse/kids.

I have a veterinarian that has worked for our practice during the hurricane season for the last 3 years, and every year in November they head south in their sailboat. First year they went to Florida and the keys, last year they went to the Bahamas, this year back to the Abacos in the Bahamas. He works at West Marine while they are here, and they house sit for an older couple that go back to Canada in the summers due to the heat. Otherwise they would live on their boat while they were here. I will admit, having them around is a bad influence on me! :)

As to financial planners, I never quite trust them. In our town, the young ones seem to have the nicest cars, live in big houses, have places at the beach, and belong to the nicest club in town. Living large....it makes me wonder how much money do they make for the client, and how much do they make off the client? I think everyone should ask to see a full accounting from their broker as to the fees they were charged for the year, and how much the broker made. Uncomfortable to do, but information you really need.

As I have approached retirement age, I also struggle with the question of how much is enough. I went to a financial CE event hosted by a pharmaceutical company recently for some of their top accounts, and the speaker raised an interesting question: why do you think you will pay less taxes down the road? Do you want to make less money? And why do you think you will be in a lower tax bracket, given that with the national debt it is almost assured the government will ultimately have to raise taxes. As soon as a democrat gets the chance, it will happen for sure. This was relevant to the fact that most of our retirement investments are tax deferred, meaning we don't know how much they will be worth when we need them because we don't know how much tax we will have to pay on them. As you can see, the future is far from clear for most of us.

After the last crash in 2007, a young couple in our church who were hurt financially pretty badly by the real estate market collapse decided they were getting out. Their kids were in college and doing well, parents healthy, so they sold everything and moved to Costa Rica. They settled in a small town on the Pacific coast and he runs a scooter rental business and she does something as well. The come back to the states at least once a year for several weeks (probably for doctors visits and such?), then back to their ex-pat existence. My wife thought they were out of their minds, but I admired them for their courage to do something bold like that. If they choose to come back, I am sure they will still be young enough to find jobs. But money goes a lot farther down there than here, except for buying US beer!

So, as I was at Trawler Fest last month attending one of the talks, the room was filled with couples mostly our age (around 60), and they all seemed to share the same dream: to go cruising. After taking a few months off from being in the clinic this summer (thanks to my doctor from the sailboat!) I found that I didn't miss it too much. I enjoyed not having to get up at the break of dawn to get to the clinic. And by taking my wife to Trawler Fest, I think she was able to see several boats that were nice enough that she wouldn't mind spending time on them. The big question is will she/I/both of us get bored and decide cruising isn't what we thought it would be. For those reasons, I hope to get a boat after selling off some real estate holdings, and keep it in a marina at the beach and start by taking weekend or week long excursions on the boat. Both to get experience handling it and to learn everything we need to know before heading off somewhere.

Now, the search begins for a boat that checks all the boxes while I am still working for another 2 years. I have decided it will take that long to plan my exit from my practice, and divest myself of real estate.

As to leaving a large inheritance, a friend posted something a year or so ago that was supposedly attributed to the Pope, I think. It more or less said that we should not worry about leaving a lot of wealth to our kids, as there is great value in working for what we have in life. I though about that, and I don't know if he thought we should spend it on ourselves or leave it to the church or some other institution, but I have decided that I want to enjoy my later years. Now, I don't want to go crazy and end up destitute, but the object is not to leave as much as possible to my son. I put him through college and graduate school, so he is going to be fine. In fact, like many of his age he probably has had it far, far easier than I ever had it. I think he should enjoy the opportunity to work hard, buy a house, pay for his kids education and all that, just like I did. There is great satisfaction in all that, I think. And having things handed to you never seems to be appreciated as much.

Well, this went on for far too long. If anyone read all of it, I hope it resonates with you. How much is enough? Depends on the lifestyle you wish to live. It will vary for each of us. I think calculating a budget that is reasonable would be the start for me.

Cheers to all,
Mark

Needing to ask a financial planner for help in deciding to me means you aren't ready to make the commitment. If you want to retire, you'll make it work.

Hm... that seems like a silly statement. There are only three reasons I can see why someone might not benefit from professional financial advice. (I have limited imagination however)

1. They already have the expertise and tools at their disposal to do their own analysis.

2. Their personal assets are so large that it is obvious, even to the uninformed, that they have plenty of money for their future plans.

3. They aren’t concerned about their financial future and don’t care if their finances come up short for their future plans.

An interesting thread.

HayesDVM, good post, but we can do without the political aspects. Plenty of other websites out there where you can express your views concerning those Dems.

As to financial planners, I never quite trust them. In our town, the young ones seem to have the nicest cars, live in big houses, have places at the beach, and belong to the nicest club in town. Living large....it makes me wonder how much money do they make for the client, and how much do they make off the client? I think everyone should ask to see a full accounting from their broker as to the fees they were charged for the year, and how much the broker made. Uncomfortable to do, but information you really need.

Hey Mark good post.

I am in the same boat you are, I need to figure out an exit strategy from my practice as well as the best way to handle my real estate.

I think there is some understandable confusion between financial planners, financial advisors, and investment managers. Lots of ways to approach it. I used a financial advisor who I paid a flat fee for his analysis and advice. He doesn’t make a penny on my investments and has no financial relationship with my different brokerage houses.

OTOH, I have a friend that IS a financial manager. He takes the money from wealthy individuals and “manages” it taking a percentage of the asset value regardless of whether his clients make money or not. I’m personally not interested in hiring his services. He happens to own a 120’ crewed yacht. Like you, I think it was paid for, not by the growth of his own portfolio, but by collecting a percentage every year all his clients portfolios. Nothing wrong with it, it just isn’t a service that I want to pay for.

Political change inevitably bears on finances and financial arrangements. Not taking into account changes that would accompany a change of Government makes no sense. Party policies are not a secret and tell us what changes might come.
I don`t know about USA but there are plenty of people here who rue the day they followed the advice of a financial planner. IMO many are more salespeople than competent advisors.
Recently Australia brought in a requirement that when giving advice financial planners must act in their client`s best interests,not their own! I was amazed that needed to become a legal obligation, if it`s not there already in planners minds I doubt making it a legal duty will change anything.
A major current Inquiry into the Banking and Financial Industry has revealed really bad conduct. Like investors and superannuation clients being charged fees for advice, after they died, when no advice could be or was given! Now called "Fees for No Service".And a marked reluctance to repay when challenged.

Last edited:
Dave,

Thanks, and interestingly tonight I ran into a friend from church that wanted to meet and talk about that very thing. Not quite sure where he fits in, but he mentioned fixed fee, so perhaps he is more of an advisor or planner. It will be worth a chat over lunch to see what he offers, and go from there.

Fletcher, since you refer to "those Dems", I am hoping I didn't deeply offend you, or anyone else. I will modify my statement and say that the powers that be can decide at any point in time that taxes will go up, which might affect our budgets and ability to buy/keep boats. I will avoid political statements in the future...that is why I hate Facebook. Or really, only one of the reasons I hate Facebook......

Mark

Dave,

Thanks, and interestingly tonight I ran into a friend from church that wanted to meet and talk about that very thing. Not quite sure where he fits in, but he mentioned fixed fee, so perhaps he is more of an advisor or planner. It will be worth a chat over lunch to see what he offers, and go from there.

FWIW, the advisor I used was a guy I met when he and my wife were in a new members class at church. That was 30 years ago when he was just a bank administrator and we were both much younger. He now owns a Nordic Tug 32 having moved from sail to power about the same time I did.

I wasn't going to read any of the responses.

IF you have to ask, then you need to stay working.

HOW can anyone help you make this decision?

WHAT could I or anyone offer you don't already know?

NO ONE knows your background, health, finances, goals or dreams so this is all on YOU!

BUT, if you keep asking, you will never make a decision to change and that will be your future.

Good luck.

Different perspective.

I’ll comment from a different perspective.

Both my folks are at retirement years. However neither one of them speak of retirement anytime in the next few years. Seeing my parents health begin to shift I wish they would move the time line. I would rather see my parents enjoy time with their family, travel and take up some sort of fun in their late life. I don’t dwell on it but my father is a heart stint patient and my mother just got diagnosed with skin cancer which was just removed.

Tomorrow is not a guaranty. I do second the thoughts shared about sitting down with a solid financial advisor. Make sure to turn over every leaf and in the end you’ll make the right decision for you and your wife.

Do plan on how you’ll take care of your health in the event of necessary long term or perminate care.

Otherwise the world is your oyster!

On a similar When Should I Retire and Go conversation on TF or maybe CF, someone mentioned the Fire Calc website, https://www.firecalc.com/index.php.

The big question:

"With what you have today, and what it costs you to live, can you retire and maintain the same lifestyle?"

How it works - the philosophy:
FIRECalc makes a single fundamental assumption:
If your retirement strategy would have withstood the worst ravages of inflation, the Great Depression, and every other financial calamity the US has seen since 1871, then it is likely to withstand whatever might happen between now and the day you no longer have any need for your retirement funds.

If you accept that assumption, then just tell FIRECalc how much you have and how much you'll be spending, and FIRECalc will tell you how often your strategy would have worked throughout history. Or what you need to change to make it all work.

How can FIRECalc predict future returns from past performance?

It can't. And it doesn't try. In fact, it tries to predict what will not happen. This might sound confusing, but it's really simple.

Consider an analogy: Suppose you are building a house in Honolulu. No one could predict the temperature for any given future date during the decades the house will be used. But if you know that it has never been under 52° in that location in all of recorded history, you could make an intelligent judgment about how much heating capacity is enough.

I have used a variety of retirement calculators from the companies that have my retirement funds but I like FireCalc better since it really allows you to run different scenarios.

I have a retirement spreadsheet that has a couple of different models such as how much money will we have if I retire at age X if:
  • I get laid off today and can no longer save for retirement
  • I get laid off today and can only save a smaller portion for retirement
  • I don't get laid off or move to a new company and maintain current retirement savings.

It was interesting to compare my models with FireCalc.

Hope this helps,
Dan

Back
Top Bottom