Credit Card Captain

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Those sailors were pretty cool about it. Wonder what would have happened if a trawler came in and did that.

I`m guessing they had no functioning motor and elected to sail into the mooring field to get where they wanted. After that everything went wrong.
I once had to sail into a mooring field in strong near gale wind which several times near flattened us while under main only, after the engine broke the crankshaft. We successfully rounded up onto the first vacant mooring we saw. The marina guy asked us to move to another nearby, I said no, tow us, it was just too risky under sail until you got steerage.

I wonder if alcohol was involved?

It was a chartered boat, so I'm guessing the skipper had more dollars than sense; more oblivion than experience.

I thought the dingy crews were very cool and helpful. Their demeanor kept the tension of a stressful incident to a minimum. I doubt I would have been that cool, calm and collected.

I sailed with the guy who made this video, it really is amazing how some people with no clue rent a boat with little to no experience and "perform" in a crowded anchorage. The cats are growing in popularity in part due to the maneuverability. We saw a few close calls the week we were there, the seasoned vets just shake their heads and try to stay out of the way.

Saw the same one without the music and the guys voice

just crazy people trying to help and skipper needs none cause he already knows it all

Rodney Bay, the northern anchorage in St. Lucia is subject to a large number of charter boats coming from Martinique (24 miles away). Just about every year a charter boat tries to anchor under sail. Usually because they can't get the engine(s) started. Damage almost always follows.

What is the sad is that the anchorage is huge with vast areas for anchoring that are empty, yet the disabled boats continue to try and sail into the pack. I have talked to a couple of these guys after the fact and asked what they were thinking. First time it had happened to them and they didn't think it would be a problem to sail to an anchoring position.

Almost as good as watching "Captain Ron" .....................almost

Marty, that's a great analogy. I could see that repeating itself every year.

1983 Present 42 Sundeck
Twin Lehman 135's
✌️

Rodney Bay, the northern anchorage in St. Lucia is subject to a large number of charter boats coming from Martinique (24 miles away). Just about every year a charter boat tries to anchor under sail. Usually because they can't get the engine(s) started. Damage almost always follows.

What is the sad is that the anchorage is huge with vast areas for anchoring that are empty, yet the disabled boats continue to try and sail into the pack. I have talked to a couple of these guys after the fact and asked what they were thinking. First time it had happened to them and they didn't think it would be a problem to sail to an anchoring position.

As an assistance tower...I hear about every excuse in the book.

I know I haven't heard them all...but I get a kick out of how many tell me they have been boating for 50 years, or running this channel for 35 years, or I have been a member for 20 years and this is the first time I have used my membership, I can't believe this happened to me, I have plenty of experience.

Until I got into the Marine Trades about 15 years ago, even though a seasoned boater, cruiser and highly trained USCG officer....I have to look back and realize I didn't know shi*.

I have emails from highly respected people in the industry that thought I did, which I was proud of...but now I know I didn't and neither did a lot of others that wrote books, articles and posed as marine experts.

I know there is so much to know...being an expert is pretty elusive in the marine business.

So when a guy who has been boating for 50 years or so on weekends and vacations, sails into a crowd of boats and crashes.....no surprise to me...:D

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom