Is this a crazy question?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

newbie68

Veteran Member
So I am a relative newbie....hence my nickname! I am a total fan of trawlers......
I thought I had found one to purchase in Canada (Ontario) but things are not falling into place as I had hoped.
I can charter in the North Channel, but only single screw....limited time frame.
Is there anyone out there that wants to discuss the charter of their twin screw GB 36-42' {or similar} for two (2 ) wk periods this season in Lake Huron / Georgian Bay or Lake Ontario?? Want to do the Trent and N Channel.......between weddings and funerals that is all the time we have!!! Next year the Rideau!
Happy to give you all the details re my experience etc!
Nick

Greetings,
Mr. 68. Sorry to be so blunt but I think you're going to be hard pressed to find a private owner willing to rent their vessel to a "newbie". Why not charter the single screw and enjoy the experience?
I also think the Trent system is too much for 2 weeks from what I've read about it.
Just a question. I can understand knowing ahead of time about weddings but funerals?

Last edited:
How far ahead do ya'll schedule funerals up there? Is that a practice due to permafrost or something else?

Have you guys never heard of premeditation?:D

Just kidding. Welcome Newbie68. The Trent Severn is a wonderful trip.

When a person dies in Jan in Ontario, they sometimes get planted in Aug! The funeral was indeed in Jan, but have to finish the job in Aug!
I am not a TOTAL newbie.....just when compared to a lot of the folks on this page. One weeks hands on and on board instruction aboard 42 GB, chartered 36' GB and got my deposit back!!....crewed for 30 days down the Baja, crewed for a delivery across Fla, crewed 3 wks up the ICW, crewed for 7 days to Honduras, crewed on the St Lawrence 5 days.
By the way.......I enjoy the hell out of this forum!

My first charter was a GB 32, single screw, done in the San Juan Islands of WA. We had a great time. I don't understand what your hesitation is to chartering a single screw boat. It's a good way to learn about trawlers, chartering and the cruise the North Channel area.

I cruised the North Channel and Georgian Bay in the mid-60's and I think that would be a great place to spend some time on a single screw boat.

If that's what's available and you want to go cruising, I'd jump on it, make the reservations and just do it. You'll never look back on it and be happy that you only had a single screw boat.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom