Old 02-11-2017, 10:39 PM   #1

City: Punta Gorda, Florida
Vessel Name: Salty
Vessel Model: Fu Hwa 34 Europa
Crane Question

We have been looking at cranes for our 34 trawler. Like the looks of the marine cranes but not the $2,000 price. Found a galvanized truck bed crane at Northern tools for $370 for the 500/1000 pound rated or $399 for the 1000/2000 pound rated. I like those prices a lot better but wonder about the durability. Maybe replace the fasteners with stainless and plan on replacing the unit when it rusts to a point it is not effective any more.

Any one try something like this and what were the results? We would be mostly using this to assist in mounting a 9.9 Honda on the dink, but i am also needing to lift the generator (about 450 pounds) out of the hole to R&R the water tanks. We do not have a mast/boom on our trawler so that is not an option.

Thanks!

John
Capt Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 10:52 PM   #2
Guru

City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
John, As you have a crane in mind, and you know what you want to lift,have you considered the mounting location and support for the crane?The generator sounds heavy, you need a good support base lifting that with an extended arm.You might need to think about the line it uses.
The crane won`t know it`s on a boat. Paint it with 2 pack or even single pack epoxy, it should last quite well. At that price there is less to lose when it gets decrepit.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 11:04 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceK View Post
John, As you have a crane in mind, and you know what you want to lift,have you considered the mounting location and support for the crane?The generator sounds heavy, you need a good support base lifting that with an extended arm.You might need to think about the line it uses.
The crane won`t know it`s on a boat. Paint it with 2 pack or even single pack epoxy, it should last quite well. At that price there is less to lose when it gets decrepit.
Good points on the mounting - yes I have done some planning for the location. As we are going to have to refinish the decks anyway, I plan on an initial install on the main deck to lift the gennie and then move up to the flybridge for permanent installation. Both locations will allow access underneath so i can thru bolt and use backing plates as well.

Thanks for the thoughts!

John
Old 02-11-2017, 11:51 PM   #4
Guru

City: Pender Harbour, BC
Vessel Name: Gwaii Haanas
Vessel Model: Custom Aluminum 52
The Honda is probably 110 pounds max and I'm sure there are industrial standards for how big you need the rig to be. I have an aluminum pipe mounted on the railing to lift my motor, the manual winch is the same you would find on a boat trailer. I use amsteel line, not steel cable, much nicer to use and stronger. It has no trouble lifting my motor.

If you have to lift 450 pounds you are looking at a stonking big crane that will need to be very carefully structurally anchored and possibly an electric or hydraulic windlass to operate (or a come-along or a chain hoist). Using it to remove the genset is probably a one-time, in and out process.

On balance, I would rent that larger crane.

On our public docks here, they have a crane that can be used for free or cheap, they are largely for loading freight but that might be a way to get the genset off and back on. You could put it on your deck or on a truck on the dock. They would have no difficulty lifting you genset.

Just an idea.
Old 02-12-2017, 05:59 AM   #5
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in the Great Lakes
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Jack View Post
Good points on the mounting - yes I have done some planning for the location. As we are going to have to refinish the decks anyway, I plan on an initial install on the main deck to lift the gennie and then move up to the flybridge for permanent installation. Both locations will allow access underneath so i can thru bolt and use backing plates as well.

Thanks for the thoughts!

John
Most cranes are mounted on a reinforced post and horizontally secured through the cabin roof. Make sure you understand what areas you need to reinforce. This isn't the same as mounting a crane on a steel truck body.

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 06:52 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xsbank View Post
The Honda is probably 110 pounds max and I'm sure there are industrial standards for how big you need the rig to be. I have an aluminum pipe mounted on the railing to lift my motor, the manual winch is the same you would find on a boat trailer. I use amsteel line, not steel cable, much nicer to use and stronger. It has no trouble lifting my motor.

If you have to lift 450 pounds you are looking at a stonking big crane that will need to be very carefully structurally anchored and possibly an electric or hydraulic windlass to operate (or a come-along or a chain hoist). Using it to remove the genset is probably a one-time, in and out process.

On balance, I would rent that larger crane.

On our public docks here, they have a crane that can be used for free or cheap, they are largely for loading freight but that might be a way to get the genset off and back on. You could put it on your deck or on a truck on the dock. They would have no difficulty lifting you genset.

Just an idea.

Great ideas - my challenge on lifting the gennie is I have a Europa design that puts a "roof" over the lazarette. Most of the time we love that for shade and extra flybridge space. In this case it severely limits my access to get a line from a crane to the gennie and still be able to lift and reposition it to set on the deck while changing the water tanks.

I wonder if building an A frame out of 4X4 lumber would be a better idea with a chain hoist to lift that gennie out and back in?

John
Old 02-12-2017, 06:57 AM   #7
Guru

Quote:
I wonder if building an A frame out of 4X4 lumber would be a better idea with a chain hoist to lift that gennie out and back in?
John

Ted
Old 02-12-2017, 06:57 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by O C Diver View Post
Most cranes are mounted on a reinforced post and horizontally secured through the cabin roof. Make sure you understand what areas you need to reinforce. This isn't the same as mounting a crane on a steel truck body.

Ted
Thanks Ted - after the refit you did I have much respect for the information you share here! Sounds like I may need to rethink the mounting a bit.

As to lifting the gennie any thoughts on the A frame idea posted above? Many thanks!

John

I see you are a faster typist than I - thanks Ted!
Old 02-12-2017, 07:07 AM   #9
Guru

Quote:
Thanks Ted - after the refit you did I have much respect for the information you share here! Sounds like I may need to rethink the mounting a bit.

As to lifting the gennie any thoughts on the A frame idea posted above? Many thanks!

John

I see you are a faster typist than I - thanks Ted!
Some times it's better to look around for other options. Getting it out of the engine space is the first consideration, off the boat may be a challenge also.

There's no kill like over kill when lifting heavy objects.

Click image for larger version

Name:	engine pull 2 (2).jpg
Views:	88
Size:	148.7 KB
ID:	61540

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0974.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	122.2 KB
ID:	61541

Ted
Old 02-12-2017, 07:36 AM   #10
Guru

City: Annapolis
Vessel Name: Ranger
Vessel Model: 58' Sedan Bridge
Quote:

One of our club owners installed a crane on her foredeck... and that was essentially mounted so the vertical post penetrated the foredeck, continued down through a hanging locker in her master berth, and then I think she ran it all the way down to the hull. (Not sure about that last part.)

Another local boat like ours has had engines replaced... while backed up to a bulkhead and then engines pulled/replaced with a boom truck on land, similar to the method in Ted's pic. Would have been about 15 minutes worth of boom truck time, had it not been for the very tiny cockpit/saloon door they had to work with (told me side-to-side leeway was in fractions of an inch, total).

-Chris
Old 02-12-2017, 08:03 AM   #11
Guru

City: Mt Crested Butte
Vessel Name: Artemis
Vessel Model: Cheoy Lee 67
I made a "walking frame" and had my 15kw 1100lbs lowered on to the aft deck and walked my genny in with the frame and lowered thru the engine hatch in the saloon. I used a 3500lb Badland winch ($150) I also used the frame to lift the port engine to drop the sump and change the oil pump on the 2715E Lehman (2200lbs?). I have since mounted the badland winch below the gooseneck on the boom to lift and lower our rib + 18hp Tohatsu up/off the boat deck. If your interested I can send you a sketch for the frame..
Martin J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 08:18 AM   #12
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Most just use forklifts for engines depending on the reach and weight. Some forklifts have significant capacity even w a fairly long boom attached.

For the OP taking appart the non-marine crane and having the parts galvanized would be an option assuming the added material did'nt interfere w the function and movement between parts.

Just painted steel will surely chip and rust.
Speaking of paint you should familarize yourself w a product called "Pour 15". A great coating even on rusty steel and is fun to brush on.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 10:25 AM   #13
Guru

City: Annapolis
Vessel Name: Ranger
Vessel Model: 58' Sedan Bridge
POR-15.

Stop Rust with POR-15 - We Know What Permanent Means!

-Chris
Old 02-12-2017, 04:15 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin J View Post
I made a "walking frame" and had my 15kw 1100lbs lowered on to the aft deck and walked my genny in with the frame and lowered thru the engine hatch in the saloon. I used a 3500lb Badland winch ($150) I also used the frame to lift the port engine to drop the sump and change the oil pump on the 2715E Lehman (2200lbs?). I have since mounted the badland winch below the gooseneck on the boom to lift and lower our rib + 18hp Tohatsu up/off the boat deck. If your interested I can send you a sketch for the frame..
PM Sent