Old 03-13-2011, 05:40 PM   #1
dvd

City: California Bay Area
Vessel Name: BOOSTER
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 37
Cracks around Scuppers

I've been boatless for a few years now and am trying to correct that situation. Here is a late 80s Taiwan-built boat that, so far, has met my criteria. Looked it over good yesterday and am about ready to make an offer with the usual contingencies (survey, sea trial, mechanical). I'm fully aware of the issues with teak (potential water intrusion, maintenance), have had teak decks on other boats and will accept the needed routine because I like their look and feel.

I'm a little concerned about the cracks I saw around the scuppers. They look like they would have the potential to get the deck core wet. I'd like to get opinions on 1) why they are there and 2) what's your assessment for the risk of water intrusion?

Thanks,
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	screen shot 2011-03-13 at 7.21.47 pm.png
Views:	63
Size:	219.6 KB
ID:	5377  
Attached Images

dvd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 07:07 PM   #2
Guru

City: Juneau Alaska
Vessel Name: Arctic Traveller
Vessel Model: Defever 49 RPH
RE: Cracks around Scuppers

The photos look identical to the scuppers on my Defever 49, cracks and all.* The scuppers are inserted in one piece into matching holes cut between the outer hull, and what I call the hull liner. I'm not sure how they were originally sealed, but after time they loose the seal. Virtually all of ours are cracked, some worse than others, and yes I do think they contribute to water leaking into the boat.* On several of mine, I reefed out material along the crack, and then filled with epoxy, thickened with a filler.* Perhaps a better solution would be to fiberglass over the cracks, making sure that all the water will still drain out.*
Would I let this problem stop me from buying the boat?* Not if all the major systems checked out, and I loved the boat.* There is no boat in the world that will not have problems of some sort or another, they just need to be solved.* If you love the boat, and the price is right, go for it, and then figure out how to solve the problem.* A good surveyor should include this on the survey, and it's now a point to negotiate* price with...................Arctic Taveller

Arctic Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 04:42 AM   #3
FF
Guru

They could be cracked from flexing between the hull and deck , or at some time they could have been used as Hawse holes to tie up?

The ones designed for line work usually have a bronze casting to stop damage.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 05:59 AM   #4
dvd

City: California Bay Area
Vessel Name: BOOSTER
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 37

Thanks for the input -- she will be surveyed, but it never hurts to have more opinions/information. In general, the boat appears to be well-built and properly maintained, so I'm optimistic going into the survey. I just wanted to make sure this didn't reflect some known flaw in material or construction method that I didn't know about.

Thanks,
David
dvd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 07:39 AM   #5
Guru

My '83 40 Albin has some cracking like that as well, but not as severe. It has been repaired in the past, and it's time for a little more work, thanks for the reminder.
jleonard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 10:18 AM   #6
Guru

City: Whittier AK
Vessel Name: Apache II
Vessel Model: 1974 Donald Jones

I don't think just filling with epoxy will do the trick you need to grind it down and put a layer of glass over the area.**Epoxy will just crack with the flex of the boat you need the cross layers of fiber glass to prevent the cracks from forming.

SD
skipperdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 10:44 AM   #7
Guru

Quote:
skipperdude wrote:

I don't think just filling with epoxy will do the trick you need to grind it down and put a layer of glass over the area.**Epoxy will just crack with the flex of the boat you need the cross layers of fiber glass to prevent the cracks from forming.

SD
G-Flex epoxy from West System should work good for this kind a repair.

Fotoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 12:28 PM   #8
Guru

City: Whittier AK
Vessel Name: Apache II
Vessel Model: 1974 Donald Jones

Quote:
Fotoman wrote:

G-Flex epoxy from West System should work good for this kind a repair.
I still think you are just gluing the pieces together.
That is more than likely why the cracks appeared in the first place.

The glued edge will just crack away pulling the substratta away.

I am not saying the epoxy glue will crack but it will come off taking more of the surface area it was bonded to with it.

The epoxy will bond great to the surface but you will only have the small area that the epoxy is applied to to hold everything together.

In my opinion you need to sand down the affected area and apply some fiberglass
tape or fiberglass cloth to form a new surface. Covering the entire area back to about 3 or 4 inches from the edge of the crack. You can sand the edges to make the repair almost invisable.

SD

skipperdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 05:45 PM   #9
Guru

City: Juneau Alaska
Vessel Name: Arctic Traveller
Vessel Model: Defever 49 RPH

Quote:
FF wrote:

They could be cracked from flexing between the hull and deck , or at some time they could have been used as Hawse holes to tie up?
Did that once, ran a fender line through it.* BIG mistake....................Arctic Traveller

Arctic Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 11:14 AM   #10
Guru

Great solution Mike. Thanks for the idea.

Fotoman is offline   Reply With Quote