Old 10-01-2019, 05:07 AM   #1
Veteran Member

City: Sunshine Coast
Crack to worry about photo

Am interested in a 2000 Selene 47 but am concerned about some cracks in the gel coat around the junction of the fwd flybridge deck and pilot housing as shown in the picture. There is also cracks appearing at the junction between the fwd outside wall of the Portuguese bridge and the top of the fwd deck. Thanks for any feedback.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190926_133817.jpg
Views:	291
Size:	92.1 KB
ID:	94678   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190926_133814.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	28.1 KB
ID:	94679  

Ralsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 05:41 AM   #2
FF
Guru

The underlying structure was not built stiff enough (it might be strong enough) to not flex ,so the gelcoat cracked .
Common on stairs too.

FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 06:29 AM   #3

City: FL
Vessel Model: Benneteau Swift 42
So you're concerned about a few bucks to repair some glass on boat that costs how much?

get a cost to repair and negotiate the deal
lipets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 06:55 AM   #4
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. l. Good suggestion BUT...Can the crack(s) be repaired to the extent that they will never reoccur or is this a structural problem with all Selenes?
Old 10-01-2019, 07:14 AM   #5
Guru

City: Bay Saint Louis, Mississippi, (or where the anchor drops)
Vessel Model: 1973 42 Bertram MY
Fiberglass layup done at 4:45 pm on a Friday.
Old 10-01-2019, 07:15 AM   #6
Guru

City: Bethesda, MD
Vessel Name: Solstice
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 47 Eastbay FB
It raises the question of does that area see any regular use or excessive weight put upon it? As in, it's flexing because of atypical use. Not that it'd change the need to fix it, just that it might present a reason to 'adjust' usage of the area.
Old 10-01-2019, 08:31 AM   #7
Guru

City: East Coast
Vessel Name: M/V Maerin
Vessel Model: Solo 4303
Gelcoat hairline cracks. As a boat ages and flexes, those cracks are going to appear. It's like noting that older people have wrinkly skin. They may be due to underlying structure flex, they may be due to expansion/contraction due to sitting in the sun, but for the most part, they're cosmetic. My '99 hull 03 has those cracks as well as the others you describe. I'm pretty sure you'll find them on any 20 yr old boat, I don't think it's anything to lose sleep over, and as a finding on a pre-purchase, not remarkable. You can repair them, but I believe you'll be chasing your tail.

I'd be more concerned about things like the condition of the deck drain hoses, bilge hoses, tank fill hoses, tank crossover hose, waste hoses, hose clamps. They're all at the age where they'll be due for replacement. There are a lot of hoses that are a real bear to access, and that translates to aggravation if DIY, or $$$ if yard work. Hand bilge pump manifold? Hoses there? Does the bilge smell bad? Has the rudder shoe/hardware been inspected/re-glassed/sealed? How's the deck under the winch? Are the penetrations sealed/potted? If the swim platform is still the hinged one, is it still watertight or are the hinges showing signs of water ingress into the attachment points/stains? Was the torsion coupler ever replaced? Life expectancy about 4000 hrs. Cutless bearings? OEM 8D batteries everywhere? Are the cored deck penetrations properly potted? If the doors are not Diamond Sea Glaze, have the hinge attachments been reinforced? Any staining? Include the Portuguese bridge door in that. Are the boarding gate hinges showing rust/stains? Any signs of looseness? I see in the photos the black vinyl trim is missing from the window frames. They were repainted? Unattractive, incomplete work. That trim is very difficult to source. Are the wiper arms intact? Look in the access ports on the flybridge structure- bone dry in there? Are there maintenance logs? Oil sample lab reports? Those kinds of things can be of consequence in considering a purchase, the gelcoat cracks, not so much.
Maerin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 09:10 AM   #8

City: Detroit
Prior repair

You can see in the picture that this crack has already been repaired at least once before. You should eliminate high moisture as a possible culprit. Very hard to support much weight that far out with limited structure to support it. A design flaw, but probably not anything more than a nuisance. Certain types of vinyl ester gel coats can move some and not crack, you could also look into tinting West System G-Flex epoxy as it can handle even more flexing than virtually any gel coat. Good luck.
moparharn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 09:44 AM   #9
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: "Sandpiper"
Vessel Model: 2006 42' Ocean Alexander Sedan
The boat is 19 years old and, like many older boats, has a few gel coat cracks. Have them fixed and don't be surprised if they surface again. Boats are designed to take a 10.0 on the Richter scale as part of their daily routine. Gelcoat cracks happen!

If you really love this boat, close the deal and make the repairs.
Old 10-01-2019, 09:59 AM   #10
Guru

City: AICW
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
No one here has any clue as to what has caused the crack.

Till you grind through the gel coat and look at the underlying laminates and study the structure from within .....and what weights and stresses are really applied...one had no idea what's causing this crack.

Some of the best info you can get is from similar models of similar age.
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 10:25 AM   #11
Guru

City: East Coast
Vessel Name: M/V Maerin
Vessel Model: Solo 4303
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
No one here has any clue as to what has caused the crack.

Some of the best info you can get is from similar models of similar age.
Actually, I have a clue. This area is part of the house-boat deck joint. It's NOT structural, as this is where the boat deck, house, and flybridge components come together. So, yes, expect some flex there. Further aft, that same joint transitions to a flexible/caulked seam. The photo area was most likely faired and gelcoated after assembly, as many areas of the hull were. So age has more to do with the crack appearing than some underlying structure fault.

It's not something I would characterize as a problem other than a minor cosmetic issue. As such, listing it as a pre-purchase punchlist item could be construed as nit-picking.
Maerin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 10:33 AM   #12
Guru

City: AICW
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
I too can guess based on a lot of experience.... And thought exactly what you described.

But often the TF mantra is be sure.... So I thought I'd play along for once.

So if you are going to bother to repair it.... Start with step one which is grind off gel coat and see what you got underneath...

Then you have a much better idea and can go forward with more than just educated guesses.
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 11:30 AM   #13
Guru

City: Upstate,SC
Vessel Name: Caroliner
Vessel Model: Selway-Fisher 45' Teign
That's a fairly common area for cracking. It's not structural. It could be due to the aging gel coat shrinking and cracking or stress as others have suggested. If you find no signs of water leaking in, I wouldn't be concerned so much with stress being the culprit. It's a good idea to repair the area to prevent water ingress and the possibility of freeze/thaw damage.

ben2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 12:31 PM   #14
Guru

City: Las Vegas/West Coast
Vessel Name: Pairadice
Vessel Model: Selene 47
I would ask you to look at any 20 year old boat and not find stress cracks. I have them on my Selene and have contemplated the needed repairs and what would the end result would look like.
It takes a true craftsman to repair it right, but more importantly blending gel coat to match the surrounding area is an art. And what will the area look like a year or two down the road.

I doubt that you have a structural problem. Look at the boat as Steve has suggested above.
A well maintained boat will show, one that has been neglected will show even more.

Cheers
Crusty Chief is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 01:08 PM   #15
Guru

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Never Say Never
Vessel Model: President 41 DC
When President built my current boat they sprayed the gel coat way too thick. As a result there were stress cracks everywhere. I have repaired most of them and painted the boat. In one area the gel coat was almost 1/8Ē thick. I used a belt sander there to completely remove the gel coat. However none of them was more than a cosmetic problem.
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 02:04 PM   #16
Veteran Member

All good advice and I thank you all for providing it all. Thank you Steve Sipe for the detailed information on what else to look for/inspect. We are having our second viewing this coming Saturday and ill be able to now see her with a fresh set of eyes. Here's the link to her, https://www.boatsales.com.au/boats/d...AG-AD-16571455
Thanks again all. It's much appreciated.
Old 10-07-2019, 03:41 PM   #17

City: Green Turtle Cay/Western NC
If you are worried about that little crack perhaps boating is the wrong pastime for you.
Tingum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 03:44 PM   #18
Guru

City: Bethesda, MD
Vessel Name: Solstice
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 47 Eastbay FB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tingum View Post
If you are worried about that little crack perhaps boating is the wrong pastime for you.
In fairness, the indication seems to be he's looking at a boat, considering a purchase, and is inquiring as to whether it's the sort of thing to be concerned about. Which other members have answered intelligently.
Old 10-07-2019, 03:48 PM   #19
Guru

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Never Say Never
Vessel Model: President 41 DC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralsy View Post
All good advice and I thank you all for providing it all. Thank you Steve Sipe for the detailed information on what else to look for/inspect. We are having our second viewing this coming Saturday and ill be able to now see her with a fresh set of eyes. Here's the link to her, https://www.boatsales.com.au/boats/d...AG-AD-16571455
Thanks again all. It's much appreciated.
Very nice looking boat. The only thing I could not deal with is the straight backed built in bench seating in the salon. Try sitting in it for a while not just a few minutes when you look at it and imagine sitting for hours to watch a movie. Most people donít try the seating when they are looking at a boat for more than a couple of minutes. My back will not let me sit on seats like that for long. But the boat looks to be in nice condition. I didnít see any photos of the engine room but there were a lot of blank photos when I looked at the listing. Good luck hope it works out the way you want.
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 05:13 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Mate, we all started somewhere and thankfully there are people who aren't opposed to providing a little advise and encouragement, unlike you. Maybe this forum is not the place for you. So why don't you take your negativity and go and annoy someone else.