Old 07-31-2013, 09:26 AM   #21

City: Jacksonville, FL
Vessel Name: Amar la Vida
Vessel Model: 1989 Carver Californian 48' MY
For those familiar with Salt Run, it is narrow and very shallow. Usually most boats are at 6 knots in and out. In 20 years of spending time in St. Augustine I have never seen a boat large or small roar through there. That is a very dangerous inlet at times and why the hell are you anchored in the channel in the first place? I do agree most boaters have no clue what they are doing these days.

knotheadcharters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 10:00 AM   #22
Guru

City: Adelaide
Vessel Name: Kokanee
Vessel Model: Cuddles 30 Pilot House Motor Sailer
I can't imagine the boat traffic some of you guys deal with regularly on the inland waterways.
It must get stressful when there is a mix of commercial traffic and personal craft of every type in a tight area.

I was just thinking about how my present boat handles a large wake, but in the 6 months since I took delivery, and maybe 1000 nm travelled so far, I honestly don't think my boat has felt the wake of another boat.

I only have to be vigilant for messy swell, breaking surf or the odd whale which might rock my world.

AusCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 10:07 AM   #23
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Now that I have researched some of the article...if the small boat was truly in the "Salt Run" area of St Augustine and it IS truly a no wake area....AND a large vessel truly went through there at 30-40 MPH (pretty fast for the majority of 40 footers but possible)...then that "fast fishing boat" better head for the Bahamas.

The Fish and Game guy made it sound like this sort of thing happens a couple time a year.... so it is entirely possible the tin boaters (or equivalent) may have been entirely within their rights/expectations. If so they have my full sympathy and maybe even total support depending on a few other factors that would convince me one way or the other.
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 07:08 PM   #24

City: Dauphin Island, AL
Vessel Name: Free At Last
Vessel Model: 1981 42' Grand Banks Trawler
While in the mobile al ship channel at no wake speed, three 30+ long coast guard boats were idling on the right side of channel. After a sailboat, then us, a 42' trawler went by them, all three kicked it and waked us badly. Tv and other things were thrown to the floor. A half mile further up there they were again. I called them and asked them to please watch their wakes. No response, then they did it again to us. We were running north to avoid hurricane Isaac. I did report them to base commander but got little response. No emergencies were obviously going on to warrant that behavior. Amazing thing was that tv still worked once retrieved and reconnected. Didn't give me a warm and fuzzy feeling.
kelbylinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 07:27 PM   #25
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Coast Guard boats always go fast and kick up large wakes. That way, I'm never boarded.

Old 07-31-2013, 07:48 PM   #26
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelbylinn View Post
While in the mobile al ship channel at no wake speed, three 30+ long coast guard boats were idling on the right side of channel. After a sailboat, then us, a 42' trawler went by them, all three kicked it and waked us badly. Tv and other things were thrown to the floor. A half mile further up there they were again. I called them and asked them to please watch their wakes. No response, then they did it again to us. We were running north to avoid hurricane Isaac. I did report them to base commander but got little response. No emergencies were obviously going on to warrant that behavior. Amazing thing was that tv still worked once retrieved and reconnected. Didn't give me a warm and fuzzy feeling.
Lived in Lake Forest ( NE Mobile Bay) for 3 years...didn't know the ship channel (where one SHOULD expect wakes) is a no wake zone.
Old 07-31-2013, 08:17 PM   #27
Master and Commander

Although six knots is too fast for a "no wake zone" (approaching), the resulting wake is still gentle.

(Lakeville, CA on the Petaluma River.)
Old 07-31-2013, 08:20 PM   #28
Guru

as posted in the hull speed thread...

The trouble with the whining "no wake" crowd is that the wake produced by 6 knots SOG with the current is markedly different than 6 knots SOG into a 4 knot current.

I see/hear the complaints every day.

I'm sorry for the folks that live on the ICW...but if the moon tide is ripping at 4 knots and I need to get someplace at 5 knots SOG (the minimum I will do when people need service)...that puts my speed through the water at 9 knots and the wake can be larger than people in small boats, tubes, swimming, etc like.

To them I say buy a house someplace else, tube and swim in the lagoons etc...etc...going any slower is not an option unless there is LE vessels, guys working on docks/bulkheads or buoys, or someone obviously in distress.
Old 07-31-2013, 08:36 PM   #29
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
Lived in Lake Forest ( NE Mobile Bay) for 3 years...didn't know the ship channel (where one SHOULD expect wakes) is a no wake zone.
I had a good friend that lived in Lake Forest for many years. He was one of the owners and general manager of WPMI Channel 15 in Mobile. We boated and traveled together as couples for over 30 years. He passed away a couple of years ago.
http://moonstruckblog.wordpress.com/
Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 08:49 PM   #30
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonstruck View Post
I had a good friend that lived in Lake Forest for many years. He was one of the owners and general manager of WPMI Channel 15 in Mobile. We boated and traveled together as couples for over 30 years. He passed away a couple of years ago.
Pretty place...to bad I was gone for over half of the 3 years on icebreakers!
Old 08-01-2013, 12:10 AM   #31
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
IMHO - Similar to "Don't take a knife to a gun fight!" And, "Don't get in heavy seas with a house boat!!" If I may add... "Don't go fishing in waters that your little fishing boat can't handle, for any reason, wakes or otherwise.

Of course we should all be courteous to other boaters. I make special efforts to be very courteous to all boaters... but... fishing persons inside inlets (or other well traveled locations) that have a virtual claw foot tub as an intsie wintsie fishing craft are plain - - > In The Wrong! Oh yeah, almost forgot to mention... they’re pretty darn stupid too!!

Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 01:41 AM   #32
Master and Commander

Old 08-01-2013, 09:05 AM   #33
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
Mark

For the Delta sloughs and even its open areas that fisher boat is fairly stable and able to handle wakes compared to some of the tiny and often old and usually overloaded 12 to 16 foot aluminum fishers with mom, pop, son, daughter and sometimes an infant in arms aboard an aluminum riveted craft w/ an old beat up outboard and more than often no shade canvas. As I throttle down to no-wake speed and go slowly past these boats I also do not see enough life vests... they sit on flotation cushions – guess that makes them feel secure. These little boats are basically OK in 5 MPH wake protected areas... but should NOT venture beyond those locations, should not be overloaded, and should have ample safety gear aboard for whatever could happen.

Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 09:27 AM   #34
Guru

My own personal rule running around the AICW is that houses and fishermen don't get cut too much of a break....they know where they are and while I'm not out to hurt anyone or cause damage to "shipshape" boats and docks....making them uncomfortable isn't a worry I have.

But "off" the AICW, back in the tiny rivers, sloughs, throrofares, creeks, bay and whatnot...that is the domain of kayakers, fishemenr, birdwatchers, and of course tiny boats. back in those waters I tread lightly giving those that want/need to be there as much room, privacy, quiet and non-disruption as possible.

So the way I see it...I'm being both practical and polite. The boats that are not suited to get the "shirt" waked out of them don't belong in the ICW for any activity other than moving along...even then... any vessel operating there out of the no wake zones should be "shipshape" and "seaman-like" prepared to get the "shirt" waked out of them. To expect me or anyone to keep slowing down on the main drag the way I see it are the inconsiderate ones.

When I'm cruising along at 6.3 knots...I'm not slowing down any more...would never get any place. If a boat want's to pass...I tell'em bring it on. If it's a place to give them room so the wake is less...I veer over...if not...I hold on and tell my crew to do the same.

I don't think waking me in that situation is impolite. Now if I can't afford a big wake cause I'm in the bilge changing a filter or something as critical for safety...then I would post a crew out on the deck to flag down passing vessels by sight and radio and ask for a slow pass...then again I would be creeping along so it should work out just fine.
Old 08-01-2013, 10:28 AM   #35

City: Dauphin Island, AL
Vessel Name: Free At Last
Vessel Model: 1981 42' Grand Banks Trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
Actually I was at the top of the ship channel in the actual Port Authority Dock area - definitely a no-wake zone. This is where the crippled Carnival Cruise ship was taken. You are right about the ship channel from Dauphin Island up to the Port not having any no-wake zones.
kelbylinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 10:46 AM   #36
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelbylinn View Post
Actually I was at the top of the ship channel in the actual Port Authority Dock area - definitely a no-wake zone. This is where the crippled Carnival Cruise ship was taken. You are right about the ship channel from Dauphin Island up to the Port not having any no-wake zones.
Man, that is one long run from the Gulf...but I can see your point...

My overall point still holds though...LE vessels blow through no wake zones all the time...knuckleheaded boaters blow through no wake zones all the time, wakes from big ships travel miles and rock and roll no wake zones...

Things loose on a boat are just a disaster waiting to happen...as a liveaboard I am guilty as the next guy...so I do understand. But to complain about wakes really never solves the issue...

This is one topic where prevention makes you happy...and usually the finger directed at the careless boater make you feel a little better (maybe)...but other than that....I see no end in sight for being waked sooner or later.
Old 08-01-2013, 11:14 AM   #37
Guru

City: Vero Beach, FL.
Vessel Name: FIREFLY
Vessel Model: Pilgrim 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
As a fishermen with a 19' Pathfinder I take exception to the presenting of this picture in this context, he has every right to be where he is.

He is fishing an inland shore and is in a craft that I would expect to see in that location. If he is not a hindrance to navigation and is operating within the law and regulation he is owed the same respect as a 50 battle-wagon on the open ocean or a 35+ foot trawler cruising the channel, the same.

I has an old salt instructor one day said to me when I was moaning about the little guys, "remember unless you are very special then you are a little guy to someone and have the same rights as anyone else".

We like it when we get a slow pass, why would a working class guy with his family out for a day of fishing not deserve the same?

Fishing a busy breaking inlet is not smart but it is most of the time it's legal, cause damage or death by your careless (reckless) but legal operation and see how that works out.
SCOTTEDAVIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 11:34 AM   #38
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTTEDAVIS View Post
As a fishermen with a 19' Pathfinder I take exception to the presenting of this picture in this context, he has every right to be where he is.

He is fishing an inland shore and is in a craft that I would expect to see in that location. If he is not a hindrance to navigation and is operating within the law and regulation he is owed the same respect as a 50 battle-wagon on the open ocean or a 35+ foot trawler cruising the channel, the same.

I has an old salt instructor one day said to me when I was moaning about the little guys, "remember unless you are very special then you are a little guy to someone and have the same rights as anyone else".

We like it when we get a slow pass, why would a working class guy with his family out for a day of fishing not deserve the same?

Fishing a busy breaking inlet is not smart but it is most of the time it's legal, cause damage or death by your careless (reckless) but legal operation and see how that works out.
I kayak, have a dingy and small boat fish too....so I can relate.

No one said the guy wasn't legal.... and hurting him or his property wasn't illegal....

What I am saying and some others might be too is that taking small craft into some (and not the vast majority of) areas and staying to fish or otherwise is not only foolish but rude to other boaters in the big scheme of things...despite their "rights"...
Old 08-01-2013, 11:50 AM   #39
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: "Sandpiper"
Vessel Model: 2006 42' Ocean Alexander Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTTEDAVIS View Post
As a fishermen with a 19' Pathfinder I take exception to the presenting of this picture in this context, he has every right to be where he is
+1

My passion for improving my boat(s) exceeds my desire to constantly cruise them.
Codger2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 01:38 PM   #40

City: Benicia CA
The photo was posted with no text. Maybe the poster would take exception with you assuming what he was implying with the photo.

Nsail is offline   Reply With Quote