This is sad:

Changes to Chandler's Cove - Northwest Yachting
Alaskan Sea-Duction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 10:15 PM   #2
Guru

City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
We walked that area last year. It has direct light rail service from downtown Seattle. Lots of marinas and brokerages. No lack of Rivieras among them, we were surprised how many there were.
So, is it slated for waterfront real estate redevelopment?
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 10:26 PM   #3

City: Billings
Vessel Name: Bladerunner
Vessel Model: Sea Ray
I just attended the Seattle Boat Show. We stay across the street from the Lake Union in-water location. Being able to walk to the show, as well as enjoying that very interesting area makes for a great experience. Having all the brokerages there, along with the show, makes it like Disneyland for trawler heads.

That whole lake area is being bought up and high-rises. For instance, West Marine was torn down and replaced with condos. I think a city runs the real risk of being rendered sterile by removing areas like South Lake Union that make it distinctive. I realize that the dollar per square foot figure for glass high-rises is higher than a few brokerages and some docks, but I don't think anyone at Vulcan Properties is going to starve. They may compromise their other investments by rendering an interesting and eclectic city devoid of character.

By the way, what a great collection of boats at Lake Union. If you can hit the show this week, do so by all means. I saw a beautiful Hampton 658 LRC, the new Nordhavn Coastal pilot, several pristine Selenes, a perfect Outer Reef 70, two new Krogens, Defever, Helmsman, great Offshores, Nordic and Americans Tugs, anything you want.

It would be a real shame to lose that show, I agree. It would also wipe out the Boats Afloat Show in September.
tkrfxrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 10:48 PM   #4

City: Kenmore
Vessel Name: Snapdragon
Vessel Model: Custom 56' Skookum trawler
I hope they work something out to continue the show, as I enjoy it every year. That said, I am extremely impressed with what Vulcan has done with that whole neighborhood. I remember going to their presentation center a dozen years ago when they were just getting started, and thinking "These guys are crazy." They have pulled it off, and then some. I can not imagine the amount of money they must have made.
Snapdragon III is offline   Reply With Quote