Old 06-17-2015, 05:22 PM   #81
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
A "cottage" boat with everything can have too much windage.

Old 06-17-2015, 05:33 PM   #82
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
I like the cottages on Jekyll Island...they make McMansions look sparse.
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 07:30 PM   #83
Guru

As the OP I would like to clarify a few things. My concept of The cottage /boat ratio is not necessarily good or bad at one end or the other it merely weights where the design emphasis is. The good or bad depends on the particular boats balance and on the needs and desires of the beholder. Most boats are a mix. The need to sell boats particularly to the type of population that frequents this site has pushed toward higher fatter boats with more cottage emphasis. The same process has occurred with sail boats and cruising cats. For some this is a good thing and gets a couple happy and out on the water. Is it always good and are there trade offs that distract from good design sometimes yes. Are the trade offs of major concern? The way most boats are used it really is not a big deal. So what if you burn more fuel and wind age pushes you a little side ways and the roll is not great and the bow does not like going into waves and you need a ladder to get on the boat. Most of us can live with a little more or less of that stuff provided the boat fills our other higher priority needs. We have lived aboard a pilgrim 40 in the past and presently have no desire to live aboard and our present boat reflects how and where we cruise. If we were to live aboard and travel far and wide more cottage would be in the equation. I think a lot of the people buying trawlers have a very different take on boating than many of the previous generations. Discomfort and roughing it were expected and almost all open water passage was sail. The modern boats particularly power over 40 feet are major luxury in comparison to the older power and sail boats. Re; the dish washer, we do not have one but often use paper and a compacter since where we cruise garbage is hard to dispose of and water is sometimes scarce. And to really shake things up before we built I did consider buying a 62 foot NH but my wife nixed it. Too much boat she said.
eyschulman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 07:38 PM   #84
Scraping Paint

City: -
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyschulman View Post
In large print NOT JUST SEAWORTHY BUT SHEWORTHY. and lower down in the add This is the boat she will say yes to. This for me certainly crystallizes where the trawler market is going. In order to sell boats to usually older couples the cottage package has to pull a possibly reluctant female over the line.
I know there are wives like this--- reluctant to get into boating unless the boat has the amenities of home--- but I have yet to meet one. By which I mean a wife who goes boating, but does so reluctantly. I know wives who put the kibash on getting a boat at all, or who simply don't go out the boat they own, or did for awhile and then stopped while the husband kept on.

But with but one exception, all the actively boating wives I've met, mainly in our boating club, are as enthusiastic about it as their husbands. Sometimes even more so. I'm talking both power and sail.

The wives/women I have met who have no or minimal interest in boating, or who lost interest in boating and stopped going out have not said it's because the boat doesn't have a dishwasher or a big bed or a flush toilet. The ones who have explained to me their lack or loss of interest have all said they find it either boring, uncomfortable, or scary (the uncertainty of the water environment).

So I think wives like this, who simply don't find the whole boating thing to be interesting or who are timid, nervous, or scared of the environment itself will always be that way regardless of how "house-like" the boat may be. They may be enthusiastic at first as they play with the new "house-toys." But if they are not inherently interested, intrigued, fascinated by the boating experience, I don't believe they ever will be.

A very good friend I used to work with in Hawaii and have kept in touch with all the years since gave me a very simple but insightful observation about people awhile back. We were talking about common acquaintences and I asked if so-and-so was still the way he'd been when we'd worked with him back in the 70s. She said, "Oh Marin, people don't change. They just get more of the same."

I think she's right on the money with that. I think boating--- or any activity that involves immersing oneself in a specific environment--- either clicks with a person or it doesn't. If it doesn't, I don't believe it ever truly will.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 07:58 PM   #85
Master and Commander

It's great to have a woman who supports my boating interest, which lacks dishwasher, ice maker, washer/dryer, air conditioning, trash compacter, house-like living-room accommodations, hair dryer, and the like.

Old 06-17-2015, 08:14 PM   #86
Guru

That our wives fit or do not the perception of the sales pitch makes little difference in where the sales and design puts emphasis. I don't think all that sales and design emphasis is missing the boat. Its all meant to get the little lady aboard on the sale and on the boat. In general I think the population here fits the target each of us may think what we like but we are lined up in the sights.
Old 06-17-2015, 08:28 PM   #87
Scraping Paint

Quote:
I don't think all that sales and design emphasis is missing the boat. Its all meant to get the little lady aboard on the sale and on the boat.
I agree. But all the dishwashers and trash compactors and big beds in the world are not going to change the mind of a wife who is inherently afraid of being on the water, doesn't enjoy it, or finds it boring. The sales pitches are aimed at getting people who are going to get a boat anyway to get the one being promoted to them.

I've worked in marketing all my life. The number one rule is "Know your customer."
Old 06-17-2015, 08:37 PM   #88
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Spy View Post
B (andB),

Your first post in this thread indicated that you perceive (and accuse eyschulman) of implying) that his concept of boat to cottage ratio is negative. I think you are inferring that.

I inferred that based on other posts he's made on the subject. That may well not be his intent but it is the way it comes across to me. I can't see his face or hear the tone of his voice or keyboard so it's quite possible I'm inferring other than his intent.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 08:46 PM   #89
Moderator Emeritus

City: SEWARD ALASKA
Vessel Name: DOS PECES
Vessel Model: BAYLINER 4788
I will be the first to admit that my wife wants her creature comforts.

But so do I and I have no problem admitting it.

I like my stressless recliner, and the icemaker, and a bathroom in my cabin and all the other things that come with a "cottage boat".

Us guys, we are generally more willing to sacrifice comforts to get out on the water. Our wives, in general not as much.

Our old 28' Cabin Cruiser was great for me, but the wife could only do two nights then she was ready to go home.

On the other hand she'll spend a week on our "cottage boat" without getting nervous. So the cottage boat gets used more.

So, while more comfortable boats might be driven by the wives, most guys enjoy the comforts as well...Even if they have a hard time admitting it.
https://maps.findmespot.com/s/XLJZ#history/assets
ksanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 08:46 PM   #90
Guru

Quote:
That our wives fit or do not the perception of the sales pitch makes little difference in where the sales and design puts emphasis. I don't think all that sales and design emphasis is missing the boat. Its all meant to get the little lady aboard on the sale and on the boat. In general I think the population here fits the target each of us may think what we like but we are lined up in the sights.
Wifey B: I don't understand little ladies at all I must admit. I mean it's like super hard for someone like me who is full speed ahead and damx the torpedoes or somewhateverthelineis to grasp the sales job that has to be done. However, I know it's real and it's obvious they are catering to it. I just don't get why men are more likely boaters than women. That really could be a topic for an entirely different discussion and we'd still not know but it must really have to do with tradition and heritage and all that old baggage that many lack the ability or the desire to break away from. In our family my hubby and I are equal in loving boating and in having no interest in roughing it. The same boats appeal to us. I personally found the ad offensive but I know it's probably effective. Bra and male organ products and such I understand the sexual distinctions.

Problem too is I live in a distorted world around lots of avid female boaters including captains and future captains. I admit to being like totally out of touch with the hesitant female boater.
Old 06-17-2015, 09:00 PM   #91
Scraping Paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
I personally found the ad offensive but I know it's probably effective.
Interesting. I did too, and I haven't seen the ad, only read the description in this thread. I'm surprised an ad agency would be that insensitive in this day and age and that a client would be dumb enough to go along with the idea. That kind of "little lady" approach was popular in the 50s (see RTF's earlier photo) but it's insulting today.
Old 06-17-2015, 09:11 PM   #92
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
Look at how many use the term "Admiral"....
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 09:44 PM   #93
Master and Commander

Don't know about you, but my woman is pushing for more overnight(s) cruises.

Old 06-17-2015, 10:09 PM   #94
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
Look at how many use the term "Admiral"....
Wifey B: Well, I'm sure you would guess how I feel about that as a term. Now, apparently some women like it. I don't like labels in general though. I fought that in education as I got so furious when I was going to make a presentation and saw they'd printed up an agenda and put Dr. in front of my name. I get squeamish thinking about it. Everyone who works for us calls us by our first names too and my hubby insisted on that when he worked for a major company. Fortunately that culture was there when he arrived.

Still we both know our way isn't normal or typical. And you can call your wife anything you and she agree to. Just don't call me "Admiral." First time, I'll ask you not to politely.
Old 06-18-2015, 12:05 AM   #95
Guru

Has anybody else noticed that automobile sales pitch and design has also become aware of the female input into car buying decisions either with couples or as independent buyers. Maybe some one just realized a very large portion of wealth in the US is controlled by woman and modern women are very proactive when it comes to family decision making.
Old 06-18-2015, 12:16 AM   #96
Moderator Emeritus

City: SEWARD ALASKA
Vessel Name: DOS PECES
Vessel Model: BAYLINER 4788
I just went to the KK site.

They have a small series of testimonials called sheworthy news. They are written by the female half of cruising couples.

Personally I did not find it offensive at all, quite the opposite actually. Every cruising couple is 50% female. They seem to be taking the females point of view seriously, and engaging them as the real part of the decision making process they have always been.

I think its not only a good marketing strategy, its good business as well.
https://maps.findmespot.com/s/XLJZ#history/assets
ksanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 12:26 AM   #97
Guru

Quote:
Has anybody else noticed that automobile sales pitch and design has also become aware of the female input into car buying decisions either with couples or as independent buyers. Maybe some one just realized a very large portion of wealth in the US is controlled by woman and modern women are very proactive when it comes to family decision making.
Well, not all salesmen are as enlightened. My wife always dreamed of a Porsche so we went to the Fort Lauderdale dealer to buy one. Every question she'd ask, the salesman would answer to me, never speaking directly to her. He was also dancing around questions. I did politely tell him to speak to her, not me, as she was the customer. He didn't change. Finally he asked me, "what do we have to do to get you in one today?" I turned and said, "That's impossible as I have zero interest in owning one and since you refuse to talk to the actual customer, we'll be leaving now." Off we walked. We drove to Tampa and drove her new car home from there. Now I should point out that the dealer representing Porsche locally at that time no longer was six months later.

A couple of times auto manufacturers have gone so overboard catering to females however that it's backfired and made young men hesitant to buy that model based on fears of it being considered a girl's car and them being teased. 66% of Miata owners have been female.
Old 06-18-2015, 01:46 AM   #98
Scraping Paint

I didn't find the fact that the ad was aimed at women to be offensive, I found the wording to be demeaning. I'm n the marketing environment I work in if a writer proposed that style and wording to a customer they would be-- and have been-- fired.
Old 06-18-2015, 05:32 AM   #99
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in the Great Lakes
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Wifey B: Well, I'm sure you would guess how I feel about that as a term. Now, apparently some women like it. I don't like labels in general though. I fought that in education as I got so furious when I was going to make a presentation and saw they'd printed up an agenda and put Dr. in front of my name. I get squeamish thinking about it. Everyone who works for us calls us by our first names too and my hubby insisted on that when he worked for a major company. Fortunately that culture was there when he arrived.

Still we both know our way isn't normal or typical. And you can call your wife anything you and she agree to. Just don't call me "Admiral." First time, I'll ask you not to politely.
Must say I really don't get this. My wife is a full professor and for the last 4 years a university dean. The titles reflect decades of hard work, more that a hundred publications, sitting on accreditation boards, and being subject to a fair amount of peer review. For her students to refer to her as teacher / professor, being on the same par as a graduate student teachering assistant, dismisses all of her accomplishments.

I can certainly understand where most women might bristle and being referred to as the admiral as it's not used in a serious way. Wonder how many of us have actually addressed our wife as admiral as opposed to referring to her as the admiral?

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 07:03 AM   #100
Moderator Emeritus

City: Cameron, La
Vessel Name: Baobab
Vessel Model: Bayliner 4788
"66% of Miata owners have been female"

80% of males do not fit into a Miata
dimer2 is offline   Reply With Quote