cottage on the water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Wifey B: I did communicate in private with KK to express my feelings. I understand their reasoning and I appreciate their response. I don't think they're evil or anything for doing it. It wouldn't keep me from buying one. My hubby did want to know if it was legal for him to read the Sheworthy newsletters. But I do have one comment to emphasize my displeasure of the word "Sheworthy" itself. I say this because much of what they're calling sheworthy is novice worthy, nothing to do with one's sex. Pick any other group, I'll use the legal term, any other "Protected Group" and would it be acceptable? What about "blackworthy" or "jewishworthy"? Of course, you shouldn't and wouldn't dare and they would be far more objectionable. I just don't like that label but I'm fine with those of you who have no problem with it.

Now, me, I'm both heworthy and sheworthy....hehe :D

I find that saunas zap the energy from me.

I much prefer a steam bath, then a good massage afterwards,...lots of massages in Thailand....everywhere :thumb:
My sauna at home is definitely steam and I would not except less on a boat. I get no massage my wife of 52+ years is developing arthritis and carpal tunnel syndrome.

FWIW, Janice, the results of a long-term study here in Puget Sound showed that fish and crabs do not, for the most part, eat the garbage boaters throw overboard. Banana peels, melon rinds, etc sink to the bottom where they DO feed the algae that deplete the water of oxygen. This, in turn, depletes the population of fish, crabs, etc.

I've always recalled the comment by the Scripps biologist John D. Isaacs, that we steal so much protein from the ocean, and then so carefully make inedible what we put back in via sewage treatment.

Personally, I don't think animal material in the ocean persists for long, but I do agree that still waters demand discretion, so I limit it completely when docked.

Marin's comments do bear repeating: "FWIW, Janice, the results of a long-term study here in Puget Sound showed that fish and crabs do not, for the most part, eat the garbage boaters throw overboard. Banana peels, melon rinds, etc sink to the bottom where they DO feed the algae that deplete the water of oxygen. This, in turn, depletes the population of fish, crabs, etc.

Where this plays a significant role is in bays, estuaries, fjords, etc with a relatively low water turnover. Here in Puget Sound it's a concern because the water turnover is very slow, particularly in the south sound and Hood Canal. For example, I believe the time it takes for a complete water exchange in Hood Canal (which is a long, natural inlet, not a man-made canal) is one year."

I had not considered that previously and will make sure I don't advocate overboard in areas where water flow is slow. It's something I had not even thought about before, so thank you for the education.

May I quote you in an upcoming article on my website? I'd send you a private message but I don't think you get those... (With apologies to the board for barging in, etc.)

What you say is important and I will add an Addendum to a couple articles already online, with your permission of course.

Janice (and please do let me know "yes" or "no") plus name you prefer. (Most opt for first name/boat name or full name/boat name.

Please say yes.

Janice-- Yes, I have the private message function of the forum turned off. Feel free to pass on the information I posted. However make sure it's understood that I was simply summarizing the results of a study that I read about in the local paper, I believe it was the Seattle Times. I myself am not any sort of authority on the subject.

Done, and thank you. The beauty of online publishing is the ability to post Addendums. Accuracy counts and goodness knows I've not been in areas where water flow was restricted -- I just never considered same before now.

Thank you Marin.

And now back to our cottage on the water topic.

Done, and thank you. The beauty of online publishing is the ability to post Addendums. Accuracy counts and goodness knows I've not been in areas where water flow was restricted -- I just never considered same before now.

Thank you Marin.

In our land "cottage" we never put a lot of value in a trash compactor as the "garbage men" just picked up however much you put out. On the boat, we wouldn't live without it now that we've used one. Now once we got use to one on the boat, we started using one at home regularly. Unfortunately, they are not cheap and the less expensive trash crushers, etc. don't accomplish much. I thought by now the price of trash compactors would have dropped far more. I guess I thought of them like paper shredders which are only a fraction of the cost they once were.

Thank you Marin.

Well, turnabout's fair play. I told my wife about your putting trash in empty food cans to save space and she thought that was a great idea. She does it at home, filling empy milk cartons with old napkins, paper, etc. to save sapce in the recycling bin. But she'd never thought of using the cans we open on the boat for the same purpose. So thanks for that one.:)

The fish here love our left over food. They're happy, we're happy. But we don't throw anything other then food overboard.

Just cuz a guy has spiffy boat shoes doesn't mean he's got good leftovers.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom